Question regarding beds! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Question regarding beds!

Hello,
My wife and I are now really closely considering an Escape. In fact, I talked to the factory yesterday and there are two 21' Escapes within a few miles of our house (what are the chances of that? Considering we live in the middle of nowhere.).

From what we've seen online, my wife likes the layout of the 21. I prefer the queen bed on the 19.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and opinions regarding the layouts, ease of getting in and out of the bed at night (you know why), visibility, comfort, etc.

Thank you much!
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Howdy Sherm,

The opinions about the beds are varied. We like the bed having a "tucked away" feel in the back in our 19. Others like the more open feel and larger interior space of the 21, and that you don't have to crawl over if you sleep on the outside. I would highly recommend you look at both trailers however. It's really the only sure way to determine which one you prefer. Besides, there are plenty of other differences besides the bed. For instance, although only a few inches wider and two feet longer, the 21 feels MUCH larger inside to us. It's not enough for us to prefer it personally, but this isn't about us, it's about you.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Although everyone has their own opinion of the correct support for a mattress, I found the mattress in the 21 one of the most comfortable I've slept on. No need for toppers, etc. It is still a pain to make (although a different pain than the bed in the 17).
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
It is still a pain to make...
That is definitely something the 19 and 21 have in common, but I'd suspect the bed in the 21 is a bit easier.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

The opinions about the beds are varied.
Now there's an understatement. And the discussion very quickly turns into a debate of the relative merits of the 19 and 21.

My only comment is that I consider the argument that the bed in the 21 is better because you don't have "crawl over" someone. I don't agree that the 21 bed is any easier because I've had an RV with exactly the same be layout as the 21. I don't find sitting up, trying not to pull the covers off your sleepmate and scooting the length of the bed any easier. But, everyone has their own opinion on that and you'll no doubt hear it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
That's the kind of info I'm looking for! And FWIW, the layout of the 21 appears more confined or claustrophobic to me. Maybe the window over the bed would be a good choice.
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
That's the kind of info I'm looking for! And FWIW, the layout of the 21 appears more confined or claustrophobic to me. Maybe the window over the bed would be a good choice.
That's where spending some time in both trailers might change your opinion. We've never felt the 21 is claustrophobic - in fact, to us it feels more open than our 19 - even laying on the bed.

To us the more closed in feel of the bed in the 19 is not a minus, but a plus. So again, it's pure personal preference. Check out both trailers.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are now really closely considering an Escape. In fact, I talked to the factory yesterday and there are two 21' Escapes within a few miles of our house (what are the chances of that? Considering we live in the middle of nowhere.).

From what we've seen online, my wife likes the layout of the 21. I prefer the queen bed on the 19.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and opinions regarding the layouts, ease of getting in and out of the bed at night (you know why), visibility, comfort, etc.
We have the 19 and love it, but that being said the "only" thing I don't like about the 19 is having to crawl over my wife in the middle of the night. That being said, I love our 19, but people who have the 21 will say the same thing. But, you know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life". All I had to do to get approve from my other half was get a microwave.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One of the things I liked about the bed in the 19 was the opportunity to snuggle when the back person gets outta bed.
Actually, what we ended up doing for the last many years with the 19 was that if one had to get up to pee, the other just did the same, no matter who was on the inside. After our mid night stroll, I always took the outside as I am first up all the time.

Getting to view both, especially side by side is paramount to deciding what might work best for you. They both have their merits, and they both have their fans. There was no 21 when I got my 19, and when Reace announced they were going to develop one, it piqued my interest, but although the roominess was nice, the bed in front of the door was a deal killer for our style, something we both strongly agreed on.

Then came the 5.0TA, which to us exhibits the benefits of both the 19 and 21, bed tucked away, and more room (though this really was not the biggest deal). A new trailer also offered me the opportunity to do modifications from new that made it work great for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We went from a bed-in-the-back 17' EggCamper (still have it) to a bed-in-the-front Escape 21'. I sleep next to the outside wall in both. With the Escape 21', my wife and I both appreciate that I have the choice of going over the top or slipping out the bottom. Having the bed oriented sideways in the rear leaves no choice but over the top. As for difficulty making the bed, both orientations/locations have their challenges, but compared to chopping wood or digging post holes, neither warrants complaining about too much. We've been tempted to try one of those big two-person sleeping bags that you just roll out and there it is, but we haven't yet done so. In the grander scheme of things, it's all good....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
In addition, the walls of the 21 allow for extra "push" to get up and at 'em in the morning.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
but although the roominess was nice, the bed in front of the door was a deal killer for our style, something we both strongly agreed on.
Uh-oh, here we go discussing relative merits, but yes, we had exactly the same reaction to that layout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Having the bed oriented sideways in the rear leaves no choice but over the top. .
Well that depends if the other person remains fully stretched out. We usually just do as Jim says, both take the opportunity for a middle of the night excursion or the outside person just pulls their feet up leaving an easy path out. Either way, no biggie.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
In addition, the walls of the 21 allow for extra "push" to get up and at 'em in the morning.
With the 21 it is a little harder, the older you are is the need to grab something to assist getting upright, at least there are 2 corners in the 19. I installed wooden towel/grab bars in my 21 which the new owner is still utilizing. One of the reason for not getting the 5.0 are the steps, without assist rails there could be issues and I'm aware of several 5.0 owners who have already found this out. Think of the future when making your decision, not the present.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:47 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
We've been tempted to try one of those big two-person sleeping bags that you just roll out and there it is, but we haven't yet done so. In the grander scheme of things, it's all good....
You don't need a special bag, just two of the same. Zip them together and you have one large bag. You can get a 3lb and a 5lb bag for versatility. If warm, use with the 3lb. bag on top. If cold, use the 5lb bag on top.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 19'
You really want to spend some time in them to get some ideas. We wanted a 17 and decided to go with a 19, the decision is relatively easy.. then we went to the factory to see the 19 in person, and gets to check out the 21 too. I try pretty hard to like the 21 but in the end couldn't.. so we stick with the 19..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That is definitely something the 19 and 21 have in common, but I'd suspect the bed in the 21 is a bit easier.
While I've never made the bed in a 19, I can't imagine it is all that much different from a permanent bed in a 17 (although a bit wider).

I find the 21 more difficult, at least if you use the standard sheets & blankets. The problem is to get to the top you have to kneel on the bed, which makes it difficult to pull up the bedding. I grab the top edge of the bedding, move all the way to one side & pull up the other, then switch. Sometimes "hop" & pull to finish things off.

With the 17, I just reached across the bed to make it. It was difficult to put the bottom fitted sheet on the far corners, but not too bad.

I know a sleeping bag or a RV Superbag or equivalent is a solution many use, but I like standard bedding, so I can easily add/remove layers during the night, depending on temperatures.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
For us we want the bed in the back. I remember calling on a 21 owner and when the spouse opened the door I could see the other one's feet who was still in bed while we were talking. Not what we were wanting. Also, want the bed as far removed from the car engines and trailers coming and going all night and morning in campgrounds.
We live outside mostly, under the awning is our living room so don't really put much emphasis on where the dinette is in the trailer, front works great.
The crawl over thing is overblown. It was an issue in the small Scamp beds, but we've found with a full queen size bed it is not an issue. Plenty of room and mattress for the back person to not disturb the front one if they have to get up.
21 is a real nice trailer as they all are, but having been in all models, for us the 19 is still the one we'd go with. You need to look at the feedback, see the trailers, and pick what fits your style. Not a wrong choice with any of the models if it fits you.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2011 19'
Beds

It probably isn't possible but I would like to see the configuration setup of a 19 foot in a 21 foot trailer. The difference would be 2 extra feet in length at the rear, where 2 twin beds could be installed. You would lose extra storage under the bed but gain 4 more feet in overhead cabinets.

My Blog; https://lenanddian.blogspot.com
Old Fulica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fulica View Post
It probably isn't possible but I would like to see the configuration setup of a 19 foot in a 21 foot trailer. The difference would be 2 extra feet in length at the rear, where 2 twin beds could be installed. You would lose extra storage under the bed but gain 4 more feet in overhead cabinets.
I'm assuming you want the twin beds to run rear to front. Those won't fit in that direction of the rear dinette which is 48x86. A twin bed is 39x74, you'll be short 26 inches. IF the beds went width wide, you'd be taking up 78 inches (with no space between the beds) and now you've taken 30 inches out of the kitchen counter. A great feature in the 21 is the counter length. All the cabinets on the drivers side would also need to move forward the same amount of space. I'm not sure I'd want the dinette up front either, while it's cozy for sleeping, it doesn't have enough windows for "dining," IMHO.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:05 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
It sounds like you haven't been in either trailer yet and IMHO that is essential, although I know there are people on the forum who have bought sight unseen. I thought I'd like the 5.0 but the minute I tried out the bed I knew that it wouldn't work for me -- ceiling was too low. (I believe the 5.0 TA has more head room now). We wanted the smallest trailer we could find that had a queen size bed -- We started out looking at airstreams but you have to go to 25' before you get a bed as large as the Escape 19.

We really like the bed in the 19 and most times it is not that big a deal to climb over, but sometimes it is a nuisance and now that we're home from our 3 month trip I have to admit that it's nice to just get up out of bed and not do acrobatics. We like using sheets -- not bags -- and making the bed is not easy, although I've developed some short cuts -- deeper bottom sheet, using gloves so that when I lift the mattress I don't scrape my hands on the plywood.

Maybe this is just me, but I feel more private in the 19 -- especially when we're camping with others, but even sometimes when we're not -- there will be a knock at the door, and if I'm in bed it's no big deal -- I'd feel way more exposed in the 21

I've said this before -- I love the windows on three sides, we both enjoy the space to stretch out -- someday we may need to have a trailer with space on three sides, but not yet.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote