Question regarding beds! - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #1

Trailer: None
Question regarding beds!

Hello,
My wife and I are now really closely considering an Escape. In fact, I talked to the factory yesterday and there are two 21' Escapes within a few miles of our house (what are the chances of that? Considering we live in the middle of nowhere.).

From what we've seen online, my wife likes the layout of the 21. I prefer the queen bed on the 19.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and opinions regarding the layouts, ease of getting in and out of the bed at night (you know why), visibility, comfort, etc.

Thank you much!

Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Howdy Sherm,

The opinions about the beds are varied. We like the bed having a "tucked away" feel in the back in our 19. Others like the more open feel and larger interior space of the 21, and that you don't have to crawl over if you sleep on the outside. I would highly recommend you look at both trailers however. It's really the only sure way to determine which one you prefer. Besides, there are plenty of other differences besides the bed. For instance, although only a few inches wider and two feet longer, the 21 feels MUCH larger inside to us. It's not enough for us to prefer it personally, but this isn't about us, it's about you.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Although everyone has their own opinion of the correct support for a mattress, I found the mattress in the 21 one of the most comfortable I've slept on. No need for toppers, etc. It is still a pain to make (although a different pain than the bed in the 17).
Old 09-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
It is still a pain to make...
That is definitely something the 19 and 21 have in common, but I'd suspect the bed in the 21 is a bit easier.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

The opinions about the beds are varied.
Now there's an understatement. And the discussion very quickly turns into a debate of the relative merits of the 19 and 21.

My only comment is that I consider the argument that the bed in the 21 is better because you don't have "crawl over" someone. I don't agree that the 21 bed is any easier because I've had an RV with exactly the same be layout as the 21. I don't find sitting up, trying not to pull the covers off your sleepmate and scooting the length of the bed any easier. But, everyone has their own opinion on that and you'll no doubt hear it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #6

Trailer: None
That's the kind of info I'm looking for! And FWIW, the layout of the 21 appears more confined or claustrophobic to me. Maybe the window over the bed would be a good choice.
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
That's the kind of info I'm looking for! And FWIW, the layout of the 21 appears more confined or claustrophobic to me. Maybe the window over the bed would be a good choice.
That's where spending some time in both trailers might change your opinion. We've never felt the 21 is claustrophobic - in fact, to us it feels more open than our 19 - even laying on the bed.

To us the more closed in feel of the bed in the 19 is not a minus, but a plus. So again, it's pure personal preference. Check out both trailers.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
Hello,
My wife and I are now really closely considering an Escape. In fact, I talked to the factory yesterday and there are two 21' Escapes within a few miles of our house (what are the chances of that? Considering we live in the middle of nowhere.).

From what we've seen online, my wife likes the layout of the 21. I prefer the queen bed on the 19.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and opinions regarding the layouts, ease of getting in and out of the bed at night (you know why), visibility, comfort, etc.
We have the 19 and love it, but that being said the "only" thing I don't like about the 19 is having to crawl over my wife in the middle of the night. That being said, I love our 19, but people who have the 21 will say the same thing. But, you know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life". All I had to do to get approve from my other half was get a microwave.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
One of the things I liked about the bed in the 19 was the opportunity to snuggle when the back person gets outta bed.
Actually, what we ended up doing for the last many years with the 19 was that if one had to get up to pee, the other just did the same, no matter who was on the inside. After our mid night stroll, I always took the outside as I am first up all the time.

Getting to view both, especially side by side is paramount to deciding what might work best for you. They both have their merits, and they both have their fans. There was no 21 when I got my 19, and when Reace announced they were going to develop one, it piqued my interest, but although the roominess was nice, the bed in front of the door was a deal killer for our style, something we both strongly agreed on.

Then came the 5.0TA, which to us exhibits the benefits of both the 19 and 21, bed tucked away, and more room (though this really was not the biggest deal). A new trailer also offered me the opportunity to do modifications from new that made it work great for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L 4x4
We went from a bed-in-the-back 17' EggCamper (still have it) to a bed-in-the-front Escape 21'. I sleep next to the outside wall in both. With the Escape 21', my wife and I both appreciate that I have the choice of going over the top or slipping out the bottom. Having the bed oriented sideways in the rear leaves no choice but over the top. As for difficulty making the bed, both orientations/locations have their challenges, but compared to chopping wood or digging post holes, neither warrants complaining about too much. We've been tempted to try one of those big two-person sleeping bags that you just roll out and there it is, but we haven't yet done so. In the grander scheme of things, it's all good....

War Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote