Recommended Bike Rack for 21' Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Question Recommended Bike Rack for 21' Escape

We'll be picking up our new Escape in mid November and heading off for 5 month away from cold & snow of Delaware. Looking for recommendations on a bike rack to carry two bikes using the trailer's 2" receiver. Know we'll have to contend with the spare tire but don't know if that will require an extension or not.

Thanks for the help!

Jim & Sandy Ahern
Ahernjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
1up usa
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #3

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We have this Swagman model: https://www.swagman.net/product/g10/

Probably not as well made / durable as the 1UP, but cheaper. Also it is able to accommodate rear racks which the 1UP may have issues with.

Have over 2K miles on this and has performed flawlessly. If you have cables along the top of your cross tube, make sure you insert a rag / cloth between the frame and the cable otherwise the clamp will make the cable rub on the cross tube.... learned this by experience.

Happy trails.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Swagman Escapee is RV rated. One of the few
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19'
I second the 1 UPusa recommendation. Expensive, but well built.
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #6

Trailer: None now
We have the Swagman Dispatch.
https://www.swagman.net/product/dispatch/
It's hauled our bikes all over the country, twice to Chilliwack, once to Maine and multiple times to N, Georgia and North Carolina.

Ours have fenders and racks so the 1Up is not set up right.
I use two pieces of pool noodle to protect the frames and have not had any paint damage to either bike.
I know a few folks on here are proud of the mud stripes up their backs but I'd rather not decorate my shirts that way.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We have the Swagman Dispatch.
https://www.swagman.net/product/dispatch/
It's hauled our bikes all over the country, twice to Chilliwack, once to Maine and multiple times to N, Georgia and North Caroline.

Ours have fenders and racks so the 1Up is not set up right.
I use two pieces of pool noodle to protect the frames and have not had any paint damage to either bike.
I know a few folks on here are proud of the mud stripes up their backs but I'd rather not decorate my shirts that way.
We are very happy with our Swagman Dispatch also. I was sold on it when I saw it on display at Trademasters Hitch in Chilliwack,B.C.. It is built specifically for an RV, with a longer arm to clear the spare tire. The bolt cinches the 2” arm securely to the 2” receiver with no adapter. Very secure! I too use a pad to cushion the hook to the bicycle crossbar and have nary a mark on the frame....

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 'Houdini 2'
We really like our Kuat NV2.0 It is very expensive but we think it's worth it. The iUP did not work for us because we have fenders and packs on racks on the back of the bikes. We have the 2 bike version, and the only down side is that the pedal on the bike next to the spare tire has to be removed because the pedal would make a hole in the cover. If you get the Kuat, however, get the NV 2.0 and not the less expensive Sherpa which is not appropriate for carrying bikes on the back of a trailer.

Here it is at ETrailer https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Bike-...uat/NV22G.html
Old 10-12-2018, 01:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I have the Swagman Escapee2 but wish I'd sprung for the 1Up ... the swing arms on the Escapee that clamp the front wheels have stopped swiveling properly.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:11 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
I bought a Swagman Dispatch after reading another thread on this topic. The 1UP I'm sure is a nice bike rack but I just could not make myself spend that for a bike rack. I have not used the Dispatch yet but when I put it together couple of weeks ago was very happy to see the strength and quality, based on the reviews I read before I bought it even more convinced this was a good choice.

Safe travels to all,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:44 AM   #11

I have used the Swagman system, and our bikes still show the scars of our Swagman with the inferior hold down system of hooking over the frame. The 1UP holds on the tires which are the only contact points when mounted. I would never ever consider putting my bike with a carbon fibre frame on a Swagman for risk of damaging it beyond just the finish scuffing. Speed and ease of of the 1UP is far superior. You can load or unload a bike easily in less than 30 seconds. While the newer frames of the Swagman are more solid than previous versions, they do not compare to the 1UP.

The 1UP is one of those items that you take pride in owning, just seeing how well engineered and built they are.

Folks comment on the cost being so expensive for the 1UP. Our Escape trailers are pricier than a Scamp or Casita, but we buy them because they are better built, which is no different that the bike rack. Any of these options will do the job and allow you to go make memories, but if you want better........
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I have the Swagman Dispatch too. Have taken a couple xcountry trips with it and it works as advertised. Pro's, cheaper then the 1up. Cons, need to cover the crosstube to keep the hooks from striping the paint, which it does surprisingly fast. I use chunks of pool noodle. It's also a hassle getting the inside bike in place. The racks upright does not move all that easily where I can drop it, put the bike in place, then lift the upright while holding the bike. So yes they work, just takes some effort. If I had high $ bikes I'd go for the 1up, but I don't.

A bike cover is something to consider, at least for long trips. The first trip multi month trip with the bikes uncovered all the non stainless parts started to rust, and the dust had to be dealt with fairly often. The cover took care of these issues, takes less time to remove and put on the cover then to clean them up all the time, at least for the longer drive portions of a trip. A few well placed bungee cords keep a cover from flopping around and being torn to pieces.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
A bike cover is something to consider, at least for long trips. The first trip multi month trip with the bikes uncovered all the non stainless parts started to rust, and the dust had to be dealt with fairly often. The cover took care of these issues, takes less time to remove and put on the cover then to clean them up all the time, at least for the longer drive portions of a trip. A few well placed bungee cords keep a cover from flopping around and being torn to pieces.
Do you have a cover you could recommend Bob?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:03 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you have a truck with a cover or a cap, why not carry the bikes in the truck bed? One of the reasons we did not get a 5.0 TA, being able to utilize the truck bed in the tow vehicle.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Yes I guess if you have carbon fiber expensive bikes why save money on a bike rack? The last Swingman I had I did what others mention and put a noodle for extra protection but not sure I will bother. I own a lot of bikes, it is one of the things for fun I pick up at thrift stores and resell. The two i ride the most are an older Diamondback Ambition and a GT Outpost Trail, heck I'm traveling and camping I expect things to get scratched up a little, will admit never want it to be our Escape and as I've gotten older I hope its not my knees for sure, takes to long to recover. LOL

Safe travels,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
The two i ride the most are an older Diamondback Ambition and a GT Outpost Trail
I am not much different, my carbon fibre MTB usually stays at home unless I am specifically going to do some mountain bike riding. I bring and old '94 Specialized Rock Hopper, zero suspension MTB, with hybrid tires for road and trail. It is one that is scarred up (including a major rub from the Swagman rack), works great as a hybrid type do anything bike, and one I am not as worried about being stolen. I do miss the suspension on some trails though.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #17

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It is kind of nice having a beat up looking but perfectly functional bike, kind of like a car or truck that you no longer worry about where you park it.

Donna, I have a Formosa cover. Everywhere I just looked to find one to post a link shows as out of stock, including the manufacturers site! I got the 2 bike for hitch mounted racks.
https://www.formosacovers.com/vehicl...le-covers.html

It comes with a stuff sack but does NOT roll up into a very compact package for storage. Guess that's the down side of a heavy duty cover. When in use I just fold it up and put it in the truck bed. Works fine if you have a tonneau cover.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
It is kind of nice having a beat up looking but perfectly functional bike, kind of like a car or truck that you no longer worry about where you park it.

Donna, I have a Formosa cover. Everywhere I just looked to find one to post a link shows as out of stock, including the manufacturers site! I got the 2 bike for hitch mounted racks.
https://www.formosacovers.com/vehicl...le-covers.html

It comes with a stuff sack but does NOT roll up into a very compact package for storage. Guess that's the down side of a heavy duty cover. When in use I just fold it up and put it in the truck bed. Works fine if you have a tonneau cover.
Thanks Bob I've bookmarked the site and will occasionally check to see when it comes back into stock.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
fyi, the Swagman Escapee does *not* touch the frame, the holddown is a padded hook over the front tire, and a strap on the rear wheel.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #20
Rgb

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
We recently purchased the 1 UP and have been very happy with it. Our bikes also have fenders. No problem using the 1 UP rack.
Rgb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike carry, bike rack, bikes, biking, receiver for bike rack