Roadside Litter - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 09:33 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
plastic bags have almost entirely been outlawed here. grocery stores strongly encourage bringing reusable bags, if you forget, paper bags are $0.25 each, my favorite market has nice heavy duty paper bags with handles for this.... This market will sell you a cheap reusable bag for $0.75, and a nice canvas bag for $3 or so (of course, screened with the store name and artwork ). I think they have 90% compliance with people bringing reusable bags.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 09:47 PM   #22

Trailer: ?
COSTCO doesn’t provide plastic bags. They recycle cardboard delivery boxes.

https://www.costco.com/my-life-sustainability.html
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Our local grocery store, Shoprite, had a big push a few years back to sell reusable bags and would then give 5 cents credit when you used your own bags. They stopped giving the credit and I definitely see fewer people using the reusable bags. It wasn’t much of an incentive but it was enough motivation for some. I don’t even want to think about the number of plastic bags that come out of a single busy grocery store on a Saturday. I only hope many of these bags are returned to the store deposit containers and recycled, but I’m afraid that may be too optimistic. On a brighter note, I have noticed the Wawa convenience stores in our area don’t automatically give you a bag anymore. They ask if you want one or you have to tell them you do.
Here you either carry out your groceries or buy their bags . No more free bags for groceries . But you can still get plastic bags at hardware stores . Meat no but screws yes . Go figure Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Roadside trash and plastic bags are certainly unsightly and foul, but the root problem seems to be 7,800,000,000 (7.8 billion) of us hominids mucking up the planet in every way possible.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am actually quite surprised by responses here. Not that I never see trash, or those who throw cigarette butts out the window at all, but the streets and highways are for the most part pretty darn clear of trash. Either that, or I am not paying attention.

I have never thrown stuff out of a window, and have never ridden with someone who did. This kind of thing has always been a no-no where I grew up.

When I was young, drinking and driving saw lots of beer bottles thrown in the ditch so they would not be caught with them. This was all good by me, as I used to go up and down the highways with my bicycle collecting them to get the deposit for returning them, and made quite a bit of cash this way.

Even in the parts of the US I have travelled, I have not seen it too bad, mostly the North West and down the I=15 to Arizona. I have not driven much at all on the coastal California roads as there are too many people there, what I am often (but not always) trying to avoid. Is it worse in the east by chance?

Robert is right that educating your children to be responsible is the way to go. We do that, and I would be absolutely appalled if I heard of any of my kids littering.

Now, driving some of the rural roads away from the Mexican tourist locations, I have seen ditches pretty much full of litter, mostly bottles. I am guessing they do not have a bottle recycling program there. We have had bottle recycling my whole life here, and for a couple decades (I believe) recycling of all drinking containers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:01 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When I was young, drinking and driving saw lots of beer bottles thrown in the ditch so they would not be caught with them. This was all good by me, as I used to go up and down the highways with my bicycle collecting them to get the deposit for returning them, and made quite a bit of cash this way.
I did this as a kid too, also dived for them (as deep as I could) at favourite swimming spots.
I think deposits still work. Every province in Canada has a bottle deposit program, but in the US, according to Wikipedia, only 10 states have bottle deposits and the beverage industry lobbies against these programs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cont..._United_States
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
This is not intended as a cheap shot, but some roadsides in the mid-south, Kentucky and Missouri come to mind, are garbage and trash magnets. Even paradise has its problem, with memories of a vacation to Maui Hawaii, and seeing cars that died on the road, pushed off into the ditch and slowly, ever so slowly, rusting away. Not tons of them, but not isolated sightings.

Go figure.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:14 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
We have bottle/can deposits, but still find them on the sides of the road.

I live on a rural town road (ie no center line) that goes through a swamp about 1/2 mile from my house (used to be called Snake Swamp Road before the fancy homes were built on the lake side of the road and got it renamed Lakeshore Road).

Anyhow, I jog or walk along the road & there is at least one person on the other side of the swamp that uses the swamp section as his/her garbage dump. I find the same brand of beer can, the same collection of losing lottery tickets, and the same McDonald's meal packages every week. They even drop off the remains of a deer carcass every Fall. A bunch of my neighbors & I do a pick up every couple of weeks, but it all comes back within days.

Since they don't trash the front lawns of the houses on either side of the swamp, I guess there are folks out there that see "unowned" property as a way to keep their vehicle clean.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
I did this as a kid too, also dived for them (as deep as I could) at favourite swimming spots.
I think deposits still work. Every province in Canada has a bottle deposit program, but in the US, according to Wikipedia, only 10 states have bottle deposits and the beverage industry lobbies against these programs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cont..._United_States
I know at least 20 years ago or so, Ontario did not pay refund on aluminum cans. My brother-in-law (in Ottawa) was a Coke addict, drinking 4-6 cans a day. They usually threw the cans out until they got recycling, then did recycle them, but not really a lot of incentive to do the right thing money wise, just if you felt obligated. Maybe this has changed though. I have been there recently, but they no longer drink pop of any kind, their teen kids either.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
I know at least 20 years ago or so, Ontario did not pay refund on aluminum cans. My brother-in-law (in Ottawa) was a Coke addict, drinking 4-6 cans a day. They usually threw the cans out until they got recycling, then did recycle them, but not really a lot of incentive to do the right thing money wise, just if you felt obligated. Maybe this has changed though. I have been there recently, but they no longer drink pop of any kind, their teen kids either.
Agree that the incentive is not much for most people but I regularly see homeless people in the city with huge bags of cans and bottles heading to the depot for refunds. Another depressing topic
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've had a guy pick up my cans and bottles once or twice a month for years now. He thanks me, and I thank him for the service.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... "Every litter bit hurts"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
around here, the can pickers go through the curbside recycle bins on trash days, and leave a mess, while effectively stealing from the pickup system which is supported by said recycle deposits.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I know at least 20 years ago or so, Ontario did not pay refund on aluminum cans. My brother-in-law (in Ottawa) was a Coke addict, drinking 4-6 cans a day. They usually threw the cans out until they got recycling, then did recycle them, but not really a lot of incentive to do the right thing money wise, just if you felt obligated. Maybe this has changed though.
Ontario currently has no deposits (and thus refunds) on beverage containers other than those for alcoholic beverages; the Beer Store chain takes those returns (both beer and wine/liquor), and other bottles and cans are collected by municipal "blue box" recycling systems. Due to the lack of financial incentive Ontario's return rate for bottles and cans is lower than other provinces, but the majority are still recycled and of course the rest mostly go into the garbage stream, not just littered.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Can returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
Agree that the incentive is not much for most people but I regularly see homeless people in the city with huge bags of cans and bottles heading to the depot for refunds. Another depressing topic
About 2 months ago I was redeeming cans and bottles at the grocery store running them through the counting machines. A nicely dressed gent came in with three cases of cans all neatly boxed. “There you go” he says and walked away, got into his double parked car and drove away. I cashed in the 72 cans and promised myself that I’d change clothes in the next day or two as he had mistaken me for a homeless dude. It was my lucky day I guess. $3.60
Iowa Dave
Old 01-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I haven't noticed an increase in roadside trash in my area.

I have noticed that state work crews have signs out that say "Speeding fines doubled in work area" or something like that when they are working. But when state prisoners are out picking up trash these signs are absent.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:11 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Wink Costoc / Aldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
COSTCO doesn’t provide plastic bags. They recycle cardboard delivery boxes.

https://www.costco.com/my-life-sustainability.html
///////////////////////////////////////
I agree with alot of the folks here, in that I believe the litter problem had gotten much worse lately. I was raised to pick up after myself and was an Asst Scout Master for 10 years and we had the kids work very hard to leave a place CLEANER than we'd found it. My wife and I continue to practice that philosophy while camping in our trailer. . :Last year we camped at a CG at Normandy Lake in TN..had to back in down a road nearly 100 yds..to get set up at a prime lakefront site. Soon after we got there {while "setting up camp" } we found piles and piles of dog pooo in OUR campsite..between the gravel pad and the beautiful lakeshore..this perfumey mess was in July in 10aC too. WE saw that the campers 2 sites down had several huuuuge dogs and after watching for awhile, we noticed they A. often ran loose and B. had nobody behind them picking up the droppings.
WE picked up the mess at OUR site (we do not even have a pet) , but....later I went and had a talk w a local Ranger and even later with the Camp Host and told them our plight and mentioned that we were very active in environmental issues and in the "social media" side of TN camping.. [I did ask them to not mention who had complained]..just that there was a shituation at that site.
It was not long b4 there was a "visit by the aww-thaw-itees" to that campsite and I soon saw that the uuuge dogs somehow managed to get themselves into a fenced-in area of their site. I really hated to complain but dagonnit, that dog poo was disgusting.

WE always clean our campsites when we arrive ...and b4 we leave..and usually find good "stuff" others have managed to forget..tent poles, lighters, knives, fishing gear, etc etc. ;-)
We also recycle as much as we can, and shop as much as possible at Costco and Aldi....bks of decent mdse, good prices and good return policies.....ANNND bks they do not use plastic bags... Aldi uses recyclable boxes and asks customrs to bring their own re-useable bags...plus Aldi has a 25 cent fee for even using a buggy...cleverly and automatically refundable when you return the cart to the store front.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:22 AM   #38

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
<sniped>I have noticed that state work crews have signs out that say "Speeding fines doubled in work area" or something like that when they are working. But when state prisoners are out picking up trash these signs are absent.
State work crews, around us the primary work crews are those the judge sentences to community service for a set amount of time. When an annual festival is approaching the county jail will send out their trustees to help with the cleanup.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:43 AM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
plus Aldi has a 25 cent fee for even using a buggy...cleverly and automatically refundable when you return the cart to the store front.

We've had a deposit required to unlock a grocery cart for years. It's not a fee, just a deposit which you get back when you return the cart.

But, stores are removing the deposit because in the "cashless" society, people don't carry money, especially change. The stores don't want to aggravate customers, so carts no longer require a deposit.

Pretty much everybody carries their own reusable grocery bags. I get a small credit for using it at my grocery store, and if I forget it in the car, I can ask for a paper bag.

BC Government liquor stores will soon abandon plastic bags and replace them with paper. It takes bylaws and government initiative to change habits. Take the money out of politics and eliminate lobbyists and you will see progress.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #40

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Red face Deposit

We do not adhere to the cashless society BS.. We have had our CCs hacked twice in the last 2 years and spent a heckuvva lot of time getting stuff satraitened out.
I almost always pay cash for stuff on the road bks of the proliferation of "skimmer" units on cash registers and gas pumps.
Then there is this: A year or so ago my wife and I were in a mjr grocery store waiting in line to check out with a full cartload. Over the speakers came this message..."attention XYZ customers, the electronic payment system is down, no electronic transactions will be processed until the system is fixed.."*

People began griping and scrambling. We two 'seasoned citizens' were in line and we always pay in cash. I asked the cashier.."ma'am, I have CASH, and correct change....may we go on and check out?" She replied "Yes you can check out now".
One other older couple had cash and the 4 of us got all our food and went on our way. The rest of the 'shoppers' were walking out empty handed, griping and complaining and giving us nasty looks. Simple lesson for when things get sticky and the grid goes down. ...we always try to pay with cash.
Same reasons we wud never have an electric vehicle.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote