Rotten mood - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post

get a book called 'Shackleton's Boat Journey', written by Woorsley. No matter what is happening in your life, you will realize 'what a piece of cake' you have compared to Earnest Shackleton and crew …. now those guys had it tough!!

Tom
Another book that chronicles the sheer tenacity of men when faced with overwelming adversity is "Unbroken".

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
T about 40 ft from the back of the house rises a 30 ft nearly vertical "cliff" So in the winter, the sun barely breaks the top of the cliff, meaning the house gets about 3 hrs of semidirect sun.
Well aren't you lucky. I have a 300' escarpment. My sun also rises about noon and I see it for about 30 minutes before it goes behind a 75' former hedge that I'm not allowed to cut down because it's on District land.

I appreciate places like Q'site where the sun comes up much earlier and goes down much later. It helps break up the long darker days of Winter.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My favourite, read several times is:
Great Heart: The History of a Labrador Adventure (Kodansha Globe) Paperback – 1997

by John West Davidson John Rugge (Author), Customer reviews give it 5/5.
https://www.amazon.ca/Great-Heart-La.../dp/1568361688
Old 12-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
People we knew enjoyed their favourite day Dec. 21-22 because that's when the days started getting longer. They loved the light.

We have been blessed this last while to have Beth's first cataract removed last week and she can see so much better. Second eye for Jan or Feb. then we can resume camping, hoping to head to Florida March 1. Meanwhile we are looking forward to Christmas with all eight grandchildren here and no travel for us other than across town to our son's home.

Today is cold but sunny with temperature now of -19C or -2F, walked to the post office to mail gifts and pick up a package in my brand new very warm coat.

Myron we hope today is going better for you.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:54 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Myron hoping your days get brighter . I kind of feel how bad especially this time of year is for some . Never thought I’d say this myself but I can’t wait for all this holly , jolly to end . For almost 2 years now I have my own sadness to deal with . It is hard but we must find what good we have in our lives and , focus on that and move forward . For me one minute I am crying , next so angry. Then I have to stop and look at what I do have and smile . Take care and hope to see you again at Quartzite! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:54 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
me, i just wanna hibernate til spring. grrrrrr.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
MyronL
I think I know how you feel.This house have not been the same since our Wire Fox Terrier passed away on Feb 1 st.Yes we did the trip to the desert as usual.It was not the same.Last time we had the trailer on the road was at the end of June.Wife did not want to go anywhere.We kept telling ourselves that we are told old to get another puppy.OK then lets fly to Mexico in Feb for a couple of weeks.She says OK I can do that.We been getting these postings on Pintrest all year, ending up torturing ourselves looking at Wire Fox Terriers.
Finally on Saturday November 30th, we did it.Bought at nine week old female puppy out of Chetopa Kansas.She was shipped out of Joplin Missouri To Chicago and arrived same day at Seattles SEATAC airport via American airlines Cargo.Picked her up just before 9 PM and drove back to the hotel at Lynnwood north of the city and overnighted.
Right now she he having a snooze in her play pen.What a live wire she is and loving us to death.I know she has to be house broken, but we have done that part before.Things will be getting back to normal around here and dogwalking three times a day should take off those ten extra pounds that I put on this summer and fall.
Merry Christmas to everybody.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #27

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
3618 Miles!

An interesting true adventure read, is:

The Journal of Bounty's Launch
by Lt. William Bligh RN.
a Kittiwake Publication

Wow, just wow.

Another book on the Mutiny is:
The Bounty
by Caroline Alexander
(forget Hollywood Movie drama)

It's a good time of year to curl up with a book and a glass of Carmenere wine.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Bornestig View Post
MyronL
We kept telling ourselves that we are told old to get another puppy.
Finally on Saturday November 30th, we did it.Bought at nine week old female puppy out of Chetopa Kansas.She was shipped out of Joplin Missouri To Chicago and arrived same day at Seattles SEATAC airport via American airlines Cargo.Picked her up just before 9 PM and drove back to the hotel at Lynnwood north of the city and overnighted.
We been down that road several times. We had a Pom named Delphi who among other places travelled with us on our boat and we actually visited Delphi with her. After 16 years of her being with us day and night wherever we were in the world with her we tried to tell ourselves that we could now go to some of the places that we couldn't go because of dog restrictions.

So we had a great idea, we'd foster dogs, more Poms and that way still be able to travel unrestricted. First one, he tore around a corner, launched himself from 5' away, went sailing over a foot stool into my lap. Our resolve to foster pretty much ended. Then another Pom, his sister, was supposed to be a foster......... and then along came Gertie. We were really hardened by now after being 2 time foster parent failures. We actually screened people and let her go for a tryout. It didn't work out and at that point we became 3 time foster parent failures. No regrets.

Ron
Old 12-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Being a child of a 13th(and last) I try to remember how fortunate I am and try to keep complaints to a minimum. A thought and reminder that the Central Coast is the last hurrah in CA and for those who can- keep it on your list when traveling nearby.

Here's today's sunset at Montana de Oro SP.
Attached Thumbnails
20191209_164930.jpg   20191209_162413.jpg  
Old 12-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is that ball of orange I see in the pictures? You are so fortunate to live where you do.....
Old 12-09-2019, 07:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Am a self-described weather wimp. Growing up an AF brat have lived in Tonawanda, Champaign, I'll, Montogomery, AL & Cocoa Beach. So know snow as well as heat & humidity. Folks who grew up here have no idea.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Never been there but went to school with a guy named Wally from North Tonawanda, NY. More lake-effect snow there than Erie, PA?
Old 12-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We been down that road several times. We had a Pom named Delphi who among other places travelled with us on our boat and we actually visited Delphi with her. After 16 years of her being with us day and night wherever we were in the world with her we tried to tell ourselves that we could now go to some of the places that we couldn't go because of dog restrictions.

So we had a great idea, we'd foster dogs, more Poms and that way still be able to travel unrestricted. First one, he tore around a corner, launched himself from 5' away, went sailing over a foot stool into my lap. Our resolve to foster pretty much ended. Then another Pom, his sister, was supposed to be a foster......... and then along came Gertie. We were really hardened by now after being 2 time foster parent failures. We actually screened people and let her go for a tryout. It didn't work out and at that point we became 3 time foster parent failures. No regrets.

Ron
Confused Ron , do you still have Gertie ? Pat
Old 12-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Here's today's sunset at Montana de Oro SP.

I'll be at Pt. Reyes for the last week in February. I love beautiful California. But every now and then it needs a dose of Florida Man.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Confused Ron , do you still have Gertie ? Pat
Yes, we still have her. She's our third failure at being foster parents. I never really thought that we could foster a dog and then send her away so I'm only joking about our being failures as foster parents.

We actually did foster successfully a couple of years ago. Sweet little Pom with cancer. We paid for the operation and found a perfect home for her with a person who really needed a dog like her to care for. We got a one year followup letter and she was still doing well. Made us really happy.

Ron
Old 12-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, we still have her. She's our third failure at being foster parents. I never really thought that we could foster a dog and then send her away so I'm only joking about our being failures as foster parents.

We actually did foster successfully a couple of years ago. Sweet little Pom with cancer. We paid for the operation and found a perfect home for her with a person who really needed a dog like her to care for. We got a one year followup letter and she was still doing well. Made us really happy.

Ron
They really steal your heart Sounds like a great outcome and perfect home for your little foster !
Alright for Gertie ! I figured she has your heart to give her your center console in your brand new truck !Pat
Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Red face Funk

WE're having a typical winter here in central Tennessee..crapy w cold rain w sleet today and 35*..winter actually came early..6 weeks ago it seems, and it is the "Big Gray" til end of March. WE do have stuff to await tho: ..Christmas this year will be family and the new grandkid, then off to FL in about 6 weeks for a month and then it will be time to begin packing for the trek north to Chilliwack to pick up our new E-21. @ end of April..if we can get thru the Rockies. WE figger the opening day of the Arizona ETI branch will be April 28th..why? Bks we pick up on April 27th. Sigh.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #38

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i start getting sad in fall because it means winter is coming. i always get a bit depressed from going to work when its dark and coming home in the dark. this year i got a hole in my retina and required surgery and a week lying face down -that was the hard part!. Trying to get back in riding shape for hunting. Hunting (no kill hunt ) gets me out all winter in the woods with my horse , my friends, and a pack of hounds . oh course a flask of something tasty helps with the cold!
We hunt every week and ride for about four hours often at a gallop over fences- really gets the blood pumping.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
WE're having a typical winter here in central Tennessee..crapy w cold rain w sleet today and 35*..winter actually came early..6 weeks ago it seems, and it is the "Big Gray" til end of March. WE do have stuff to await tho: ..Christmas this year will be family and the new grandkid, then off to FL in about 6 weeks for a month and then it will be time to begin packing for the trek north to Chilliwack to pick up our new E-21. @ end of April..if we can get thru the Rockies. WE figger the opening day of the Arizona ETI branch will be April 28th..why? Bks we pick up on April 27th. Sigh.
Too bad you will miss the rally in Osoyoos, 3 weeks later, it is something that should not be missed....
Old 12-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I am in the Rockies now, Boulder CO. I pick up my 5.0TA a few weeks later than you. I can certainly give you up-to-date information as we go, but here is my standard route.

Take I-80 across Wyoming. There are still trouble spots but far easier than I-70 through the heart of Colorado. That means several high roads. Loveland Tunnel, 11,000 feet. Vail pass at 10,400 or so. This one can get very bad. The whole place can shut down for several days at a time.

I-80 has Laramie pass in the Laramie mountains, about 8,000 feet but notorious! You want to do the downhill slowly, even in a car. I have personally seen some wild stuff in this section. A friend of mine flipped MY WHITEWATER BOAT and trailer on this section. It turned out fine but scared the sh!+ out of us. Then Elk Mountain pass ( about 8,000 feet) which goes on for 20 miles and ends 13 miles before the North Platte River. From there you are probably okay. I would not travel any of it in a snowstorm or for the next two or three days. I would leave before hand and get to a resting place before any storm hits and wait it out.

Honestly that late in the Spring, I would not worry much at all. Watch the weather, I-80 is way easier, misses most of the bad passes and sets you up for heading North (I-15). Avoid Grand Teton and Yellowstone.

Heading for Boise is what I am going to do, but entirely missing Salt Lake City by going North.

Heaviest snow months in Colorado (in order)
1. March
2. April (late April normally clear)
3. February

Some years the snow is done by late March, other years, like last year, it never ended! I hope this helps.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote