Tables - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tables

I have too much time on my hands. But, let's talk tables. I see there are two rear dinette options. U-shaped and the standard. I really like the U-shape, I think it's what I want. What I don't care for is the table on poles. I don't have the strength to muscle two poles off the table to put it in bed mode and I don't care for the "bowls" on the floor. To me, the bowls kinda defeat the livingroom effect.

So, in my travels through the all molded forums... I really like Thom's & Cari's solution in their Parkliner, the "Magic Table." It appears to be the solution I seek. My Scamp has the hinge table and it works as designed. Guess I'm going to need to talk to Escape and see if this is doable. And how much fabric I'll need to purchase to make those extra cushions.

What do you all think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TCL-PLinsideRearU.jpg (175.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg TCL-PLinsideRearU_table.jpg (153.9 KB, 78 views)

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
As far as I can tell's Parkliner's "magic" table is the same traditional wall-hinge-plus-leg table that has been found in RVs (including my Boler and perhaps Donna's current Scamp) for decades... with an extra hinge across the middle to get it out of the way for that U-shaped configuration in the first photo. I can't speak for Reace, but I can't think of any reason this couldn't be built... although whether it would be worthwhile is another matter.

Another concern is that - given Parkliner's performance on several other aspects of their trailer - this specific design is by someone with little experience with RVs and surprisingly little common sense or willingness to consult with more knowledgeable people... is the extra hinge feature really a sound and proven design?

I understand the concern with managing posts. Are the current Escape sockets ("bowls") recessed into the floor, or recessed?

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree Brian and since Chandler has applied for a patent, this may need to be an owner mod... hummm

Multi-Position Table - Patent application
Old 11-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I understand the concern with managing posts. Are the current Escape sockets ("bowls") recessed into the floor, or recessed?
They're not recessed. Here's a link to a Lisa & Family thread, u-shaped dinette too: U-shaped dinette photos
Old 11-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I agree Brian and since Chandler has applied for a patent, this may need to be an owner mod... hummm

Multi-Position Table - Patent application
Thanks for the link.

In my personal opinion, the patent application is without merit for more than one reason, the most simple of which is that (as is Chandler's style) he has failed to acknowledge the extremely obvious derivation from existing designs (or "prior art", in patent terms). A patent should not be granted, but given recent US Patent Office practice, it probably will be after some revisions to list prior art - they just leave it to the courts to settle disputes instead of doing their whole job. If I built any of the many available tables like this (albeit without the hinge across the middle), I would be insulted by Chandler Palethorpe's implication that he has invented something (the basic hinge system) that was being built before he was born.

Personally, if I liked the design I would just use it, based on parts which are commercially available, but Escape might wisely choose to avoid the potential conflict with Parkliner. To do this with a new Escape, it might make sense to get the entire table omitted at the factory, so the unwanted pedestal leg sockets are not installed in the floor.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Brian, I read the entire patent application. Everything someone needs to know is in image 10. I'm not an engineer, but even I can improve on the design and not make it so complicated. Already thinking ahead. I have an EZ-up which I HATE. I'll take one of the legs, which telescopes and create the table leg. U-shape channel to attach to a "box" that slides on drawer slides and a wing nut to tighten the leg so it doesn't get kicked back. The trick will be to figure out the best way to lift the table and extend the leg without feeling like an octopus. But, I have months to figure it out!
Old 11-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

Quote:
They're not recessed. Here's a link to a Lisa & Family thread, u-shaped dinette too: U-shaped dinette photos
Too bad - if recessed, they could be covered by a flat cap and would be less intrusive. There's even a recessed plastic version which just has a circular groove (instead of a big hole) so it wouldn't need a cap.

Recessing the sockets would be a desirable modification (requiring a mould modification to be done right); however, my guess (I've only stuck my head under the 17', and even that has been a while) is that on most models there is a freshwater or greywater tank right against the bottom of the floor at that point, which would require a custom tank... which is not likely. The recessed sockets themselves are readily available, and used in RVs where there isn't this sort of issue with the floor.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
I have too much time on my hands. But, let's talk tables. I see there are two rear dinette options. U-shaped and the standard. I really like the U-shape, I think it's what I want. What I don't care for is the table on poles. I don't have the strength to muscle two poles off the table to put it in bed mode and I don't care for the "bowls" on the floor. To me, the bowls kinda defeat the livingroom effect.

So, in my travels through the all molded forums... I really like Thom's & Cari's solution in their Parkliner, the "Magic Table." It appears to be the solution I seek. My Scamp has the hinge table and it works as designed. Guess I'm going to need to talk to Escape and see if this is doable. And how much fabric I'll need to purchase to make those extra cushions.

What do you all think?
I hate those poles also. The Magic Table looks cool...I wonder though...that seating area looks a lot deeper than the one in the 5.0..might have issues with the dimensions for the folding....
but, I was really attracted by the solutions employed by techfan in post #9 here:
Latest Mods

The issue is where to put the table when you don't want it set up...maybe up on the bed?
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
I hate those poles also. The Magic Table looks cool...I wonder though...that seating area looks a lot deeper than the one in the 5.0..might have issues with the dimensions for the folding....
but, I was really attracted by the solutions employed by techfan in post #9 here:
Latest Mods

The issue is where to put the table when you don't want it set up...maybe up on the bed?
You're right, the Parkliner is quite a bit deeper, queen size bed (60x80), the new 5er is build on the 21' platform so the rear dinette should be 48x86. Then a half-table might be 24"

I don't want to need to remove or store a table elsewhere. I'm a single traveler, but would like to make accommodations for a granddaughter who (I hope) will go camping with me occasionally. Most often, I'm thinking the u-shaped dinette would be grand without a table. However, I think having even a 24" table might be nice at times.

Still thinking this through... need to finish engineering school...
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #10
Site Team

A minor issue is the support when in bed mode. Since the table would be twice as thick when folded in half, the supports would need to be changed for the u-shape.
DinetteSupports.jpg

Back to homework :