Adding underfloor insulation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Adding underfloor insulation

I've probably spent way more time under my trailer than most other owners. I've added wiring for a back-up camera, back-up light, TV cable and a unified negative buss cable. All the time I was looking at that great expanse of flat f.g. thinking about how easy it would be to turn an approximately R-1 value floor into an R-11 value floor. I know, I know, putting down a mat or cork does make the floor feel less cold than bare vinyl but it barely changes the R value.

On the 19 there are two areas that are easy candidates for retro-fitting insulation. Both are 4' long, meaning that one piece of 2' x 8' foam is enough to completely cover the area with almost zero waste.

I choose to do the forward area, under the dinette. That area runs from the very front back to the grey water tank. The second area is between the rear of the grey water tank and the front of the fresh water tank. On the interior that translates into the area from the front of the bed forward.

I used 2" pink foam with an insulation value of R-10. That turned out to be a good choice because the propane line runs down one side and the 2" thick foam fits snugly between it and the floor. Perfect.

Because of the "L" shape cross stringer and the propane line it was impossible to install the 2 major pieces in 1 piece. On the drivers side, above the propane line, 2 small pieces were inserted and then the main larger pieces were installed.

All cut edges and the bottom surface was painted with acrylic latex paint. Foam adhesive was used to attach the foam to the f.g. Redundant supports were added in case the adhesive failed.

The stabilizers were removed for easier access and are missing in the photos and the loose wires are normally held in place overhead.

The job went so well I'm wishing I had more time to do the rear section before we head South. If we get some down near zero overnight temperatures before we leave for Quartzsite I'll take some comparative floor readings of the newly insulated floor, the area over the grey water tank and the non-insulated area bu the bed.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18-01-2016 2-28-59 PM_0003_resize.jpg (142.1 KB, 639 views)
File Type: jpg 17-01-2016 8-32-29 PM10_resize.jpg (169.7 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg 19-01-2016 3-49-38 PM_0002_resize.jpg (152.5 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg 19-01-2016 3-50-15 PM_0004_resize.jpg (202.8 KB, 552 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote