Are you stiff when cold??? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Are you stiff when cold???

I just came in from taking pictures for another forum member of my front box 7 pin auxiliary hook up. See attached pictures. But when trying to hook up the power wire to demonstrate and take a picture I realized how stiff that 30 amp cord becomes at below freezing temperatures. It is like s stiff rod and not very pliable. Made me appreciate my 15 amp conversion to eliminate using the stock power cord except when needing air conditioning in warmer weather and we all know the cord is very pliant when it is warm outside. Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1341.jpg   IMG_1343.jpg   IMG_1345.jpg   IMG_1346.jpg   IMG_1348.jpg  

Old 01-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just came in from taking pictures for another forum member of my front box 7 pin auxiliary hook up. See attached pictures. But when trying to hook up the power wire to demonstrate and take a picture I realized how stiff that 30 amp cod becomes at below freezing temperatures. It is like s stiff rod and not very pliable. Made me appreciate my 15 amp conversion to eliminate using the stock power cord except when needing air conditioning in warmer weather and we all know the cord is very pliant when it is warm outside. Here are some pictures:
They make cold weather extension cords that remain pliable / flexible to 20 below zero F
Why trailers do not come with cold weather cords is a mystery to me , must be because of the cost
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
They make cold weather extension cords that remain pliable / flexible to 20 below zero F
Why trailers do not come with cold weather cords is a mystery to me , must be because of the cost
Most of the higher quality marine cords (such as Marinco) don't use thermoplastic insulation (the least expensive) but use thermoset insulation. You will pay a lot more for a marine cord, and will have to exchange the male twist lock for a TT30P trailer connector.

You can make your own using a cold weather cable such as Super Vu-tron from Carol Cable, but again you will have to add the ends.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Remind me what the box 7 pin connects to and also how your 110 volt receptacle connects to the system.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Pretty much all my extension cords I use are cabtire rubber ones. Do you guys use that name too. Pricey, but last long and remain flexible in the cold. Even just the other day I used one at temps just below -30°C and it worked great.

I too wish the cabling used in trailers was more like this, but for the most part they are only bad when you get below freezing, and though we do that a fair bit, it is still not much of the time. I have also though about making one like Jon suggested, minimally it would just coil up nicer let alone coil up at all in cold temps.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Remind me what the box 7 pin connects to and also how your 110 volt receptacle connects to the system.

Ron
Here you go Ron
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plug the yellow adapter to my power cord inside and then plug the 15 amp female to the yellow adapter, all inside. The outside is the 15 amp male..
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Remind me what the box 7 pin connects to...
Jim: Doesn’t the 7 pin connection on the box simply have a fuse across the appropriate terminals to illuminate your marker lights at night? Say for a rest area, unhitching and leaving your trailer on a dark road due to a breakdown, etc.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #8

Sorry, I did not realize there were 2 questions. Yes, the 7 pin connector has the top 11 and 1 o'clock screws fused or wired with a 5 amp fuse so that when you insert the trailer connector the trailer lights are on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1343.jpg   OIP.69PrrjIavQmAeBQUQdwgIgAAAA.jpeg  
Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #9

a couple more
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1341.jpg   IMG_1345.jpg   61oBCrCMkZL._AC_UY436_QL65_ML3_.jpg  
Old 01-20-2020, 05:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I’m not being critical here, but I fail to see any reason to go through the bother of installing a 15 amp inlet on a trailer that already has a 30 amp inlet. That only creates an unnecessary hole somewhere on the trailer and a lot of work. If the purpose is to use a lightweight extension cord when in storage or when the A/C or other high amp appliances will not being used, a 15 amp rated extension cord (unless it is zip cord) has the same three conductors (hot, neutral, ground) that a 30 amp cord has. Simply cut the female end off of the lightweight cord, strip the wires, and attach a 30 amp female connector, then the lightweight cord can be plugged into the existing 30 amp power inlet. “Making” a 15 amp shore power cord would probably take 15 minutes, 30 if you are slow, and at a much lower cost if you don’t want to purchase one of the aforementioned 30 amp cords that are flexible at lower temperatures. The female end can be purchased at any RV outlet or Amazon.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #11

But I'm not opening the cord hatch and allowing insects or weather inside. My compartment is sealed rom the outside. My prior Escapes had the removable power cord and I could use an adapter for an extension cord, which I used most of the time. That made me think, why pay for the removable 30 amp cord when the majority of time I use the 15 amp adapter and extension cord. In addition, a left behind 15 amp extension is easier to replace than a 30 amp power cord. Also the extra hole is not in the shell but an easily replaceable compartment door, thus multiple choices for my power and with an extension cord and the on board power cord I'm never too far away from a power pedestal.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:46 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I’m not being critical here, but I fail to see any reason to go through the bother of installing a 15 amp inlet on a trailer that already has a 30 amp inlet. That only creates an unnecessary hole somewhere on the trailer and a lot of work. If the purpose is to use a lightweight extension cord when in storage or when the A/C or other high amp appliances will not being used, a 15 amp rated extension cord (unless it is zip cord) has the same three conductors (hot, neutral, ground) that a 30 amp cord has. Simply cut the female end off of the lightweight cord, strip the wires, and attach a 30 amp female connector, then the lightweight cord can be plugged into the existing 30 amp power inlet. “Making” a 15 amp shore power cord would probably take 15 minutes, 30 if you are slow, and at a much lower cost if you don’t want to purchase one of the aforementioned 30 amp cords that are flexible at lower temperatures. The female end can be purchased at any RV outlet or Amazon.
I kind if did the same thing . Menards had a buy one get one free sale on 14/3 outdoor molded extension cords . I bought 2 cords and 2 -.30 amp female twist lok cord caps and made up a couple of cords , one for my Casita and one for my 21
My 21 is parked in our pole barn during the winter so when I want to charge the trailer batteries , I plug the trailer in using the lighter 14/3 cord instead of dragging out the 10/3 RV cord
I sold our Casita so now I have a 15 amp adapter cord for at home and when camping
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: cpaharley2008... I've never seen a "Stiff 30 amp cod" before!!! In my lingo stiff doesn't even apply if I drink to much. I simply have a step down for all ways of hooking up. We now have a 50/30 step down for those "Resort RV" places that will allow us in!!!. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Cold fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: cpaharley2008... I've never seen a "Stiff 30 amp cod" before!!! In my lingo stiff doesn't even apply if I drink to much. I simply have a step down for all ways of hooking up. We now have a 50/30 step down for those "Resort RV" places that will allow us in!!!. Alf
Hi Alf
I attended a high school graduation a few years ago where the valedictorian gave a speech and challenged his classmates to ready themselves for their life to come by embracing self sufficiency. His quote, as I remember it, was in regard to going off to college. He said,
“Next fall we will be slapped in the face by the frozen halibut of truth”. Painted a picture and got a nice laugh from the crowd. Stiff cod, frozen halibut, one flip
bluegill, it’s all good and all about the same.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Iowa Dave... I'd go just for "The Halibut"... but but but Cod is good too!!! As for a "Slap in the face" it can be a rude awakening. Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
cpaharley2008 - What are you doing to prevent the male end of the 30 amp attached power cord from being live when using the 15 amp connection?
Old 01-20-2020, 10:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
cpaharley2008 - What are you doing to prevent the male end of the 30 amp attached power cord from being live when using the 15 amp connection?
Post#6 shows an adapter that connects the 15 amp to my 30 amp power cord male end, all inside the compartment. No exposed connectors anywhere. To make myself clear, I have the attached power cord, not the removable optional one.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:28 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ah, so you didn't create a separate path for the 15A you're still plugging the 15A into the 30A cord. Kinda a Texas two-step thing, if I'm understanding this setup.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ah, so you didn't create a separate path for the 15A you're still plugging the 15A into the 30A cord. Kinda a Texas two-step thing, if I'm understanding this setup.
Correct, I just eliminated using the 30 amp compartment door which is not well sealed all the time and instead have a sealed connection.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
But I'm not opening the cord hatch and allowing insects or weather inside. My compartment is sealed rom the outside. My prior Escapes had the removable power cord and I could use an adapter for an extension cord, which I used most of the time. That made me think, why pay for the removable 30 amp cord when the majority of time I use the 15 amp adapter and extension cord. In addition, a left behind 15 amp extension is easier to replace than a 30 amp power cord. Also the extra hole is not in the shell but an easily replaceable compartment door, thus multiple choices for my power and with an extension cord and the on board power cord I'm never too far away from a power pedestal.
My bad, Jim. I missed the part where you indicated you had a fixed cord rather than a removable shore cable. Given that situation, your solution to be able to use a smaller gauge extension cord makes sense.