Box for Honda generator, grill, lawn chairs and fuel tank - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #61

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Thule makes an off the shelf version of these boxes. Not sure you would want to put a generator in it, however.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #62

Trailer: Looking
Will a Honda 2000 fit in the front box on a 21?
FredL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:58 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape 1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredL View Post
Will a Honda 2000 fit in the front box on a 21?
It should as the width is a hair less than 12". I believe there is enough height (need 17").
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #64

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The front box sides are just thin fiberglas, is the genie in a box? it may fit but the weight is such that stop and go may do some damage if it moves due to inertia. Probably 80 lbs for that one item plus lifting it in and out maybe awkward.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #65

Thanks Jim.
Just checked and the Honda2000i is 45.6 lbs. If there is a solid plate or platform underneath, might be able to secure some rails to that and secure the generator then ? Security then becomes a question. I have a long way to go, but the generator transport was in the top 5 of my list of questions. Not sure if the 2000 will run the 11,0000btu Dometic as is, but hope to be able to figure that out.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:40 PM   #66

Actually there is nothing inside, no platform, just storage space. You may ask Escape to install wooden floor in the middle, similar to one in the 19 box that support the batteries.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:22 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Fred, before you worry about how to carry it, make sure it will run your AC. We had a new Honda 2000 and just sold it because we were convinced it was not strong enough to run the AC, especially the start up. I had hear of putting a "Fast STart" on the AC would help, but all in all your asking your generator to do too much and it probably would not be good for theAC.
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #68

Thanks Nancy. Had heard the new easy start would do it, but will now look into it further.
Might give Dometic a call.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 PM   #69

Jim,
Are the batteries on the 21 behind the box?
I really need to get out and see one. Now all I need is a free weekend....
Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #70

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredL View Post
Are the batteries on the 21 behind the box?
The batteries in an Escape 21 are inside the trailer, under the dinette - either on the passenger side (with the standard dinette) or at the back (with the U-shaped dinette).

There's no room between the front box and the trailer body, for batteries or anything else. If the trailer is ordered without the front box, there is nothing in that space.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #71

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrab2002 View Post
Box added to three factory installed hitches.

Burrab2002, if I was gonna install a box in the back of my rig, this is how I would want to do it. The setup looks very solid. Thanks for sharing!

On the Red Dog rating scale, I rate this as:

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #72

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
Fred, before you worry about how to carry it, make sure it will run your AC. We had a new Honda 2000 and just sold it because we were convinced it was not strong enough to run the AC, especially the start up. I had hear of putting a "Fast STart" on the AC would help, but all in all your asking your generator to do too much and it probably would not be good for theAC.
Nancy

Nancy,

I have similar concerns. But if the Honda i2000 can run the A/C after it's started, there is a solution.

My Minion (an electrical engineer) is going to help me install a hybrid inverter/converter (Hybrid) and a lithium battery.

You can program a Hybrid to expect only X amps from shore power. It can make up the shortfall from the battery.

For example:.

Let's say the A/C needs 12 amps to start, but only 8 amps to run

Let's say the Honda can produce 10 amps at steady state

You program the Hybrid to only expect 10 amps from shore power. When it detects the 12 amp start up load, it takes enough power from the battery to safely start the A/C. When the A/C is running, it takes the extra 2 amps from the Honda to recharge the battery.

If you have enough lithium battery capacity, to can even run the A/C from batteries. But you'll also need a lot of solar panels to recharge the batteries.

Let's say you're boondocking and you have a bunch of solar panels putting out 20 amps. The Hybrid will use that to invert about 2 amps of AC. It takes enough additional power from the battery to start and then run the A/C. The run time is limited, but Technomadia runs exclusively off lithium batteries most of the time. (When they're in their bus.)

This is an expensive solution, but it does work.

I plan to install lithium batteries, but not enough capacity for the A/C. I'll use it for extended run times on lesser A/C power hogs. Having said that, my upgraded electrical infrastructure could support enough additional batteries and solar for limited, but useful, A/C run times.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #73

According to the Dometic info the locked rotor amps-LRA for the 11,000 unit is 53, so you will need a lot of battery running thru an inverter to make up the difference. My 2000 watt Yamaha ran my 9,000 Penguin only at full throttle. http://dometic3frontend.qbank.se/epi...031957a824.pdf
Old 05-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #74

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Jim,

Locked rotor amps is a new term for me. I had to Google it. Even afterwards, I'm not sure I'm clear on how it's used.

The A/C is on a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Under what conditions would the motor be able to draw 53 amps? Unless it was for such a short period that it was less than the sensing threshold of the circuit breaker. I don't know how fast modern AC breakers are, but they have to be pretty fast.

Perhaps I'm off down a rabbit trail. I've know quite a few of those in my days. Rabbits are good.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:25 PM   #75

You are right, it has something about a capacitor that jumps the current higher, but operating it draws a little over 13 amps and they recommend a 2500 watt generator. The smaller 2000 watt may work as long as nothing else like the converter or electric water heater is operating.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #76

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
The A/C is on a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Under what conditions would the motor be able to draw 53 amps? Unless it was for such a short period that it was less than the sensing threshold of the circuit breaker.
Right - circuit breakers are designed so that for a very brief period the current can be more than the breaker rating; Steve can probably explain the time limit, but the higher the current the faster the trip, and a 20-amp breaker will probably allow 53 amps for several seconds. Since the locked rotor condition doesn't continue - it is stationary at the beginning but nothing is holding it locked so it starts to move as soon as there is enough motor torque to start rotation - my guess is that the current never gets quite this high, but even if it does it will only be for a fraction of a second. The name ("locked rotor") suggests that it is a worst-case situation which would occur if the bearing seized or the compressor jammed in some way, but electrically what matters is how fast the rotor is turning and for an instant it is stopped.

There is a current level which should trip the breaker immediately. The locked rotor current needs to be below that level, which is one reason to use a 20-amp (rather than 15-amp) breaker with an air conditioner, even if the running current is less than 80% of 15 amps. Escape uses a 20-amp breaker and cable suitable for 20-amp service (12 gauge), to properly handle both the running load and the starting surge.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #77

Thanks Brian. Would be nice to stow the generator/s in the area, but would probably need to remedy the existing design somehow.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #78

Trailer: escape 21may 2014
Thanks red dog
burrab2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a StowAway II mounted on the back of my 17B. I did have to move some stuff in the trailer to get the tongue weight back to normal, and will admit that I'm about 20 lbs over the 150 lb limit, but it has worked well for over 20,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
_ADS6113.jpg