Changing the frig door panel - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
Changing the frig door panel

On one of my threads from when I picked up the trailer, someone suggested that I use the excess Formica for door panels on the frig.

Brilliant idea!!! And one that I kept in the back of my mind, bringing it to the front from time to time and telling Dirk "we need to do this at some point".

That point was today. Super easy to cut with a jigsaw (I think that's what he used since he doesn't have a table saw.) I drew a line around the outside of the original panel with a thick sharpie and Dirk starting cutting away. He did a great job!

I just LOVE how it looks, so thanks to whomever it was that suggested it. I think it looks way better than the original door panel.

BTW, big hint here - if you want to keep the bottom panel pristine, remove your door. It will crack about 2" from the bottom on at least one side as there's not really enough room to pull it out. The panels are thicker than the formica, so it wasn't a problem putting the new panels in. I wasn't concerned about it cracking since I'm not keeping the original panels.

(So, if anyone wants 'em at the Spring NOG, they're yours. Just tell me soon or otherwise they'll be broken up and shoved in our trash container. The top panel is pristine.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05275.jpg (166.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05276.jpg (172.9 KB, 67 views)
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 3,432
Another thing I didn't think of with the new 21 - I need to come up with a new picture (actually, I guess two of them since it is a two door refrigerator) since the one I have on the current 5 cu ft fridge won't fit.

Again, for those that want to do this, I had a matte finish laminated poster made by Poster Brain, dry mounted it to 1/8" foam core & replaced the panel provided by Escape. Since there are not too many places to hang large photos in a small trailer, this was my solution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC6730.jpg (134.9 KB, 67 views)
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,870
Using Formica wouldn't work on my RM8551 (one door). When I removed the trim frame and standard grey factory sheet the track was too narrow. So adding your Formica got my attention. Wondering if Dometic's newer fridges have a wider track---guessing yes. A good thing for us who prefer great pix like Jon's, (oh, and mine, of course.)
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
And I bought a panel from Lowe's and had my son cut it to size (maybe it was a dishwasher panel?).

All good alternatives to the oak and other panels and very easy to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galley.jpg (185.3 KB, 92 views)
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
On one of my threads from when I picked up the trailer, someone suggested that I use the excess Formica for door panels on the frig.

Brilliant idea!!! And one that I kept in the back of my mind, bringing it to the front from time to time and telling Dirk "we need to do this at some point".

That point was today. Super easy to cut with a jigsaw (I think that's what he used since he doesn't have a table saw.) I drew a line around the outside of the original panel with a thick sharpie and Dirk starting cutting away. He did a great job!

I just LOVE how it looks, so thanks to whomever it was that suggested it. I think it looks way better than the original door panel.

BTW, big hint here - if you want to keep the bottom panel pristine, remove your door. It will crack about 2" from the bottom on at least one side as there's not really enough room to pull it out. The panels are thicker than the formica, so it wasn't a problem putting the new panels in. I wasn't concerned about it cracking since I'm not keeping the original panels.

(So, if anyone wants 'em at the Spring NOG, they're yours. Just tell me soon or otherwise they'll be broken up and shoved in our trash container. The top panel is pristine.)
Really nice Laura ! Unfortunately because the door is rounded on our refrigerator the Formica I cut with our extra wouldn't work . Had a picture made at poster barn it's kind of works . Hated the panel on the refrigerator . Still trying to figure something to work . Yours really is the bomb . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
And I bought a panel from Lowe's and had my son cut it to size (maybe it was a dishwasher panel?).

All good alternatives to the oak and other panels and very easy to do.
Interesting looking at your picture , did you always have a pole ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Olympia wa, Washington
Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Posts: 1,908
I don't remember what color are the new refrigerator panels
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Using Formica wouldn't work on my RM8551 (one door). When I removed the trim frame and standard grey factory sheet the track was too narrow. So adding your Formica got my attention. Wondering if Dometic's newer fridges have a wider track---guessing yes. A good thing for us who prefer great pix like Jon's, (oh, and mine, of course.)
I don't have any to compare with. I just know the formica was thinner than what was on there originally. If I push against, it moves forward a bit and I can see a gap. But since I don't normally push on the frig doors, I'm not too concerned about that and it's not that much of a difference. When the panel sits in there you can't see any gap.
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Van., British Columbia
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Posts: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
A good thing for us who prefer great pix like Jon's, (oh, and mine, of course.)
Yes, your's is a great pix. Looked good when you posted it on the forum but it was more impressive to see it for real.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Interesting looking at your picture , did you always have a pole ? Pat
Yes, that's a long run of cabinets overhead without support so the 15A always had that pole.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:25 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Another thing I didn't think of with the new 21 - I need to come up with a new picture (actually, I guess two of them since it is a two door refrigerator) since the one I have on the current 5 cu ft fridge won't fit.
I remember you doing this, back before we ordered our trailer. It was always in the back of my mind to do that, but since we've got that piece of formica already sitting around, I put it to good use.

Have fun figuring out your new photo(s)!
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I don't remember what color are the new refrigerator panels
From what ETI sent me during the build process:

(Yeah, I like the black slate formica much better!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06458.jpg (57.8 KB, 20 views)
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Yes, that's a long run of cabinets overhead without support so the 15A always had that pole.
Thanks makes sense . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
From what ETI sent me during the build process:

(Yeah, I like the black slate formica much better!)
That's a lot of oak for my eyes. Your Formica looks a lot better and breaks up all that wood finish.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Using Formica wouldn't work on my RM8551 (one door). When I removed the trim frame and standard grey factory sheet the track was too narrow. So adding your Formica got my attention. Wondering if Dometic's newer fridges have a wider track---guessing yes. A good thing for us who prefer great pix like Jon's, (oh, and mine, of course.)
Hi Myron as you know the original panel works the best . What do you think take the original panel and do the "Jackson Pollock " to the original ugly panel maybe a little thick "Vincent Van Gogh "because maybe as you know won't see the scratches the panel gets . I am being serious . What do you think ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,870
Best thing about the original panel on the (curved) RM8551 door is it's thin-ness. I replaced mine with the photo but still have the removed panel, which is light gray. Now if I ever get tired of the photo I just might do a Pollock on the removed panel. Or a Vincent, or maybe a Manet. How about a Hopper or a Rosenquist? Wait! I have always loved Wayne Thiebaud's stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TheibaudCake.jpg (178.0 KB, 12 views)
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Best thing about the original panel on the (curved) RM8551 door is it's thin-ness. I replaced mine with the photo but still have the removed panel, which is light gray. Now if I ever get tired of the photo I just might do a Pollock on the removed panel. Or a Vincent, or maybe a Manet. How about a Hopper or a Rosenquist? Wait! I have always loved Wayne Thiebaud's stuff.
Since I didn't do the table yet , just cut it down , I may give that panel a go . You sure know your Artist's . Love them all ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Posts: 188
Totally LOVE everyone's ideas! You all are getting me excited and my creativity stirring !
__________________
Lisa & Pete
"What if loving what you have is everything..." - Ellis
Nrgtic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Schaumburg, Illinois
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 ("Hotel California" -Aug 2017) Tow is 2016 GMC Canyon Duromax Diesel
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
From what ETI sent me during the build process:

(Yeah, I like the black slate formica much better!)
Me too!
Laura, do you happen to know the dimensions of each fridge panel?
Maybe we'll use and affix one of Pete's paintings ...
__________________
Lisa & Pete
"What if loving what you have is everything..." - Ellis
Nrgtic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Best thing about the original panel on the (curved) RM8551 door is it's thin-ness. I replaced mine with the photo but still have the removed panel, which is light gray. Now if I ever get tired of the photo I just might do a Pollock on the removed panel. Or a Vincent, or maybe a Manet. How about a Hopper or a Rosenquist? Wait! I have always loved Wayne Thiebaud's stuff.
like the graphics idea...perhaps stick with a smooth white door panel...and get a self sticky (peel to remove) graphics overlay with whatever graphics you want for the month....
__________________

freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×