Custom Formica - Fridge doors - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19’
Custom Formica - Fridge doors

ETI gave us the left over custom Formica from our counter tops and table. Balsalt Slate. I used it for panels on the fridge. I can reverse the panels if there is ever a need to go back to the original oak color. We are happy with it.
Attached Thumbnails
896F0715-C622-4D3E-80E3-D912463FE635.jpg   AECF5344-2CBF-414E-B544-3E36495675C4a.jpg  
Sowen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Sleek!!! I'm planning to use leftover Formica for a backsplash. Some nice person posted a pic but the reference is at home and I'm not.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Nice to see what a black fridge looks like.
My wife would rather not have fake wood on the fridge door so it will soon match our counter as well. All will be done in a textured black including a smaller new table just for the two of us.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Sleek!!! I'm planning to use leftover Formica for a backsplash. Some nice person posted a pic but the reference is at home and I'm not.
Might of been me . Very easy to do . I undid the screw cover and undid screws behind stove . Cut piece you need plus a little extra to tuck in behind the Vent and tuck in about 1/4 extra there on counter and enough behind Vent .You just bend formica to do you tucking . Rescrew the screws , put caps back on done . I did find a plastic edge to put on too. Should of told you cut piece to go up behind Vent as far it will go , then 1/4 in longer to go behind the counter piece . Put top behind Vent first bend Formica and put 1/4 piece in behind the counter piece . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
refrigerator cover

Great look for frig, Sowen23! Has anyone done the same on the 6.7 cf frig with the curved front, as in the 2016 Classic 21' style? I tried using a poster to update look of stainless, but that didn't work. Need new ideas or suggestions for changing the look.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Might of been me . Very easy to do . I undid the screw cover and undid screws behind stove . Cut piece you need plus a little extra to tuck in behind the Vent and tuck in about 1/4 extra there on counter and enough behind Vent .You just bend formica to do you tucking . Rescrew the screws , put caps back on done . I did find a plastic edge to put on too. Should of told you cut piece to go up behind Vent as far it will go , then 1/4 in longer to go behind the counter piece . Put top behind Vent first bend Formica and put 1/4 piece in behind the counter piece . Pat
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post232081
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ah yes, that's it. I need to get the edging and bring it with me. My 17 has two large tables so I won't know til I get to chilliwack if there's enough left.

Pat, what's the process/tool for cutting the Formica? Thanks.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That looks great. I am contemplating doing ours with stainless steel. For me, the appeal of adding a custom panel is that it helps break up an otherwise wall of wood finish.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Ah yes, that's it. I need to get the edging and bring it with me. My 17 has two large tables so I won't know til I get to chilliwack if there's enough left.

Pat, what's the process/tool for cutting the Formica? Thanks.
To get a nice straight cut , I used my table saw . You could use other saws too. I also use the blue painters tape where it's going cut through . Pat.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
We did the same to our frig fairly soon after getting it. We both really like the look of it and it goes quite nicely with the Peel & Stick backsplash I put up in less than a week after getting it (first thing I did in the trailer was put up the backsplash).
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05358.jpg   DSC01825.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Did mine this morning. Pretty pleased how it turned out.
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
We did the same to our frig fairly soon after getting it. We both really like the look of it and it goes quite nicely with the Peel & Stick backsplash I put up in less than a week after getting it (first thing I did in the trailer was put up the backsplash).
Laura: What keeps your aftermarket shades from swinging while traveling since you don’t have the guide strings like the stock shades do? Do you just make sure they are all retracted?
Old 04-08-2018, 04:27 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Laura: What keeps your aftermarket shades from swinging while traveling since you don’t have the guide strings like the stock shades do? Do you just make sure they are all retracted?
Got 'em from Blinds Galore online and they have a button that you press to raise and lower them. So far, (huge knock on wood) they've been staying in place (up) while traveling. I just love 'em.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
I tried using a poster to update look of stainless, but that didn't work. Need new ideas or suggestions for changing the look.
Maybe Myron will jump in and show you his beautiful photo on the front of the fridge and say what process he used.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #15

Thanks Ron; that would be awesome!!! Come on, Myron-help a gal out here.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
MYRON, WE NEED YOUR HELP. OK, I shouted for him. Do I hear a faint response? Yes, I think he's saying "check out post #350 in the A few modifications to my 19 post.

Seriously, I thought it was in that thread somewhere so I skimmed though it. What a blast from the past.

What I really like about Myrons fridge door photo is that it seems almost to be back lit or almost 3D. I really like it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #17

Thanks again Ron. Myron thank you for your creativity. That poster is waaay cool. I don't know how I missed it, initially. You guys rock and are willing to always help with problems. Love this forum.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanizer View Post
Thanks again Ron. Myron thank you for your creativity. That poster is waaay cool. I don't know how I missed it, initially. You guys rock and are willing to always help with problems. Love this forum.
Here is another thread with various ideas for the fridge. Post #2 shows Jon’s poster on an older RM2510 that I believe was the original inspiration for Myron.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...anel-9964.html
Old 04-19-2018, 10:05 AM   #19

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I just read this thread this morning.... how did I miss it? (All these praise-ful references to my fridge work-- loving it!) How could I not respond with an updated picture of my fridge door??

It is my shot of the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Staples blew it up for me, and it's covered with a thin sheet of plexiglass for protection. Fair warning: my door trim snaps off easily, so I could replace the stock gray panel, but I did crack that black trim bezel - it is fragile and its track barely wide enough for the plexiglass, --had to shave it some. Your (different) fridge may or may not have the same problems, so caution is advised.

Waiting to see Vermilliya's fridge door in his new 21--Jon what's up??
Attached Thumbnails
interior6.jpg  
Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I just read this thread this morning.... how did I miss it? (All these praise-ful references to my fridge work-- loving it!) How could I not respond with an updated picture of my fridge door??

It is my shot of the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Staples blew it up for me, and it's covered with a thin sheet of plexiglass for protection. Fair warning: my door trim snaps off easily, so I could replace the stock gray panel, but I did crack that black trim bezel - it is fragile and its track barely wide enough for the plexiglass, --had to shave it some. Your (different) fridge may or may not have the same problems, so caution is advised.

Waiting to see Vermilliya's fridge door in his new 21--Jon what's up??

The Grand Canyon looks good!

A tough decision - I now have 2 doors to fill. I have one already picked, and will have the photos printed when I get back home in May.