Escape 19 with U-dinette at rear - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Escape 19 with U-dinette at rear

New member of a great forum and still learning to navigate here. Virtual owner so all I can do (so far ) is read/drool over your great posts and pix.

I've been corresponding with Tammy about a 19 and changing the rear queen bed area into a U-shaped dinette similar to the 5.0 which would better fit my needs. I'm tall and single and the sound of sleeping forward on a permanently made up 40x80 bed with opening windows head and foot sounds great. I would be able to dine/entertain/chillax in the even bigger windowed area at the rear.

She said that they have built a few units with this configuration but didn't currently have any pix of those trailers.
She mentioned that Marcel Savageau had the latest one delivered with this configuration. If he or anyone else on here could post up some interior pictures showing what the good folks at Escape have conjured up back there I would appreciate it.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Re: Escape 19 with U-dinette at rear

I would love to send you some photos of our brand new 19 with the u-shaped dinette at the rear but I can't figure out how to post them. If you, or anyone else, knows how to do this, I'm all ears.

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: NuthatchBC... I use www.shrinkpictures.com Once they're shrunk then go to Additional Options, bottom of your post page, and the forum will let you add two per post. Be sure to right click on the shrunk pic's and give 'em a title so you can save both copies in your c'puter files. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Truckstop shot.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #4

Here is a photo of the rear of our brand new 19. It's not a complete "U", just a similar setup to the front dinette. We both do hobby stuff on crappy weather days so the small front dinette just wasn't big enough for the both of us to work on. Reace and crew did an awesome job with ours. We opted for the table with the retractable leg because the floor flanges with the post version got it the way.

Doug

Attached Thumbnails
Rear Dinette.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Looks good, Doug. Is the front left as a dinette too, or is it a permanent bed?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #6

Wow.. and thank you very much Doug.. that a great picture and gives me another choice your design sure makes for a lot less clutter (and weight) not having the double poles and flanges always in your way under the table. The seating area cushions also look nice and wide. I was concerned that Reece needed one more box section lateral across the back of the unit in the lower level for torsional strength. The queen bed and a U shaped dinette do that naturally. I quess its strong enough back there.

Now we'll wait and see if a Pix of the rare 19 U-dinette shows up so we can compare pros and cons.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

On a more somber note, I noticed a Marcel Savageau from Arizona passed away in May of this year?
I wonder if this is the gentleman referred to in the first post here.
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

That is an interesting looking dinette, Doug. I think it would be much preferable to a U-shape, or you would lose a lot of table size to gain very little(if any) seating.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #9

Agreed does look great.. 5 foot cushions spread 80 inches across really uses the size of the 19 to advantage along with those 3 BIG rear windows.

Still would like to see a pix of the U-Dinette back there. I suspect it would be a little stronger/stiffer, increase storage space/allow for the inside fresh water tank across the rear end if I decide to go that way
Old 09-12-2011, 12:40 PM   #10

Jim:

The front dinette is left as-is. One of us works at the front and the other at the back when we're doing oour hobby stuff.

Burloak:

If you go with the U-shaped dinette, you would have to have the floor flanges and table posts. Doing it the way we did, those aren't necessary and there's much more room.

Regarding storage space, since the 19 has MUCH more room than our 17, space isn't an issue for us. Plus we store some stuff in the pick-up box as well. Also, when we looked at a 19 with the permanent bed, we noticed that getting into the storage space could be a problem because the bed has to be lifted up to gain access to the storage area. However, our main reason for getting it they way we did was the use of the extra table space.

Doug
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 85 Bigfoot F20 5th Wheel

So how big is the bed in the modified rear dinette?
dalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #12

Pretty sure either way it stays a Queen 60x80 overall in that space.

Tammy was able to locate and send me some pictures of unit with a U shaped Dinette in that area. In that version the table was 42 in length + 18in for the rear bench.

She gave me another great idea in a great and long conversation, which was to expand the width of the rear bench to allow for solo sleeping across the rear of the unit and continue to use the front dinette for my main dining/working area. Just have to make the bench wide enough for sleeping comfort and narrow enough to still sit/lounge comfortably in the "U" back there.

I'm thinking 28" would work for the rear bench width. I believe she said the vertical cushions are 4" in thickness leaving about 24 inches for the sleeping berth width. I've done some measuring of my favorite couch which comes in at 21" wide on the cushions where I've spent many nights.

If I go this way I wouldn't have a rear table (or its heavy fitting systems) at all. I would still have the sills on the sides of the U to take a couple of 16 x 32 pieces of plywood (stows easier then a 32x32 table) for when I have extra company over and I have to make up the queen bed.

Its really great working with folks that can customize their product offerings to better meet their customer’s needs and are able to speak from their extensive personnel experience with the product regarding what works and what doesn't.

I’m really looking forward to the first days of spring.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #13

Just to follow up and close off this topic by thanking the forum members during my design deliberations.. I became an escapee April 10, proud owner of my brand new beautiful 19.

Tammy, Reese and their team modified the "queen bed" area as I was talking about in my last post. Seating all around the U shaped area similar to the 19.5 except for the extra elbow room of the 19 in that area. Don't have or need the table cluttering up the space. They installed two additional folding counter top extensions on either side to create a spot for my milk and cookies or what ever else I'm enjoying when Im resting back there

I sleep across the back bench surrounded by the three big windows and I been doing that from the day I picked it up. Very comfortable. I'll try to post some pix as soon as I get near my laptop again (posting from the iPad on the road). Will post the first camping trip details in the appropriate section.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Burloak, I am really jealous of that U-shaped area you have. I"ll bet you like it a lot. Looking for those photos.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote