Escape 5.0 TA Wheels & Tires - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryandEllen View Post
We ordered a trailer to be completed in Jan, and just today Escape said it will have Rainier Class C Tires.
CORRECTION - Escape did tell us that they were C, but they also said 8 ply, but in researching, we couldn't find a C with 8 ply. So we asked about it and they said they had the wrong info from supplier, and thanked us for asking so they could correct. They are indeed Load D, 8 ply.
We were happy to hear that.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
CORRECTION - Escape did tell us that they were C, but they also said 8 ply, but in researching, we couldn't find a C with 8 ply. So we asked about it and they said they had the wrong info from supplier, and thanked us for asking so they could correct. They are indeed Load D, 8 ply.
We were happy to hear that.
"8 ply" is just an old term for what is now Load Range D, so there won't be any tires which are both Load Range C and "8 ply". In any case, the tires don't actually have 8 plies of cord in them, or even four. If run at Escape's recommended pressure of 50 PSI, they won't have any more load capacity than a Load Range C tire of the same size.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21' on order to be pulled by 2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"8 ply" is just an old term for what is now Load Range D, so there won't be any tires which are both Load Range C and "8 ply". In any case, the tires don't actually have 8 plies of cord in them, or even four. If run at Escape's recommended pressure of 50 PSI, they won't have any more load capacity than a Load Range C tire of the same size.
Okay, I was just trying to correct what I originally shared. I'm just telling what escape told me. Important thing is they are supplying D not C.
GaryandEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Okay, I was just trying to correct what I originally shared. I'm just telling what escape told me.
Understood, and thanks for the update.
I was just trying to explain the ply/load range situation.

Quote:
Important thing is they are supplying D not C.
Although in the end I don't think that's important, either, since Load Range C would be suitable, too (more suitable in my opinion, but others have a different opinion).
Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I have 2018 Escape 21 with Rainer 205/75R-15 D, speed rating M tires OEM with my trailer. I have noticed they are wearing very fast compared to my single axle Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. I think everything is OK, but one tire will drag on either side when making slow speed turns at the gas station, or backing into a 90 degree spot. On clean concrete, I can clearly see the rubber from my trailer tires.

I searched tires because I already need to replace at least one that I swapped to the spare not long ago. I did a panic stop and flat spotted one tire, before I realized I need to brake a little more conservative with tandem axle compared with single axle. Probably should start another thread about that issue.

I knew mine were load range D, but have been running 50 psi. Actually, I thought the tires stated 50 psi maximum originally, but I just checked and they have 65 psi printed on the side of the tire, so my bad.

Since the tires are wearing out fast, and not evenly, I'm planning to just replace each tire as needed. The individual tires are wearing evenly, but at different rates depending on which way I turn, and how often, anyway that is my theory. On my Casita, I was replacing 3 tires after 3 to 5 years because of dry rot concerns. These tires will never make 3 years, much less 2 for that matter, so dry rot is not an issue so far.

I will probably replace with load range C, don't see the need for D rating. At 50 psi, these tires are having a easy time compared to similar tires on single axle Casita, which were very close to being maxed out and problematic.

Anyone have a problem with mixing load range D with C tires all at 50 psi? Any comments welcomed. Thanks
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:58 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Personally, I do not like mixing tires, different tread, different manufacturers, different ratings, all can lead to not the best towing experience, just my opinion.Also operating a higher load tire at less than optimum pressure can cause an accident, again just my opinion.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #27

OK great, thanks for quick reply :-)
Old 10-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPou View Post
Anyone have a problem with mixing load range D with C tires all at 50 psi? Any comments welcomed. Thanks
You can mix tires if needed. Right now we are running two load range C Maxxis M8008’s with two load range D Goodyear Endurance. All at 50 PSI. Every tire has a load chart and the capacities match at that pressure. Timing and availability was the issue. We will have all four Endurance soon but it doesn’t bother us running different tires as long as the capacities meet or exceed OEM.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf
https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trail...nflation-chart
Old 10-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #29

Quote:
I knew mine were load range D, but have been running 50 psi. Actually, I thought the tires stated 50 psi maximum originally, but I just checked and they have 65 psi printed on the side of the tire, so my bad.
All ST tires will have a maximum inflation pressure of 50 PSI in Load Range C, and 65 PSI in Load Range D. 50 PSI in any ST tire of this size is suitable for carrying the axle load of an Escape, no matter how high the load range and maximum allowed pressure is.

Quote:
I will probably replace with load range C, don't see the need for D rating. At 50 psi, these tires are having a easy time compared to similar tires on single axle Casita, which were very close to being maxed out and problematic.
I agree. Lots of Casita 17' owners have changed from the stock size and type of tire to get more capacity, but spreading the load out over two axles makes the situation very different in an Escape 19', 21', or 5.0TA.

Quote:
The individual tires are wearing evenly, but at different rates depending on which way I turn, and how often, anyway that is my theory.
You might want to check that the leading and trailing axles are carrying equal loads. They should if the trailer's frame is level with the ground, and the load can be checked by pulling the trailer over a truck weigh scale and getting individual axle weight readings. The tongue height can be changed (by changing the hitch drop) to level it out, but for stability I would make sure that if they're different, the rear carries more (so slightly tongue-high rather than tongue-low).

Quote:
Anyone have a problem with mixing load range D with C tires all at 50 psi?
They certainly should be at the same pressure. It will work, but I think that the slightly different tire behavior makes this not ideal... somewhat like using different brands and types of tires on the front and rear of a car or truck. At the very least, use one type on each axle.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:04 AM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
A friend of mine had a big beautiful Keystone Cougar that's to big to go anywhere. The trailer is about 4 years old and on his last trip, only a few hours, he blew 2 tires on the way home.

He went to the local tire shop later and they told him any new trailer immediately change out the tires as they are always poor poor quality. I can talk sports car tires and BFG KO's but know nothing about trailer tires.

Can anyone comment on these Rainiers. Never heard of them.

Also we have a trailer being built. I was surprised only 2 options for wheels, white steelies and 80's aluminum centerlines. I would have expected more options. I would have expected an option for tire pressure monitors too.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:34 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
A friend of mine had a big beautiful Keystone Cougar that's to big to go anywhere. The trailer is about 4 years old and on his last trip, only a few hours, he blew 2 tires on the way home.

He went to the local tire shop later and they told him any new trailer immediately change out the tires as they are always poor poor quality.
Trailers in general are typically equipped with the smallest and cheapest tires which are rated adequately for the axle capacity, and that leads to the attitude of the trailer shop. Well, that and the desire to sell unnecessary new tires to customers who don't know better. The only absolutely reliable generalization is that generalizations are not correct for all possible cases... and I wouldn't use this typical practice to condemn the tires on any specific trailer.

I don't know what happened with the Cougar, but some combination of overloading, underinflation, bashing tires into curbs, and overloading the second one when the first one on the same side failed seems like a reasonable guess.

Quote:
Can anyone comment on these Rainiers.
Rainier is the brand name of a North American distributor of tires made in Asia; these are the house brand of that distributor.

Quote:
Also we have a trailer being built. I was surprised only 2 options for wheels, white steelies and 80's aluminum centerlines. I would have expected more options. I would have expected an option for tire pressure monitors too.
I wouldn't expect more wheel and tire options - this is a travel trailer, not a pickup truck. Even many cars only have one or two wheel and tire options within a given trim level. Fortunately, a reasonable alternative is to take the standard wheels and buy whatever suits your taste to be mounted after getting the trailer.

TPMS is only common on cars and light trucks because it is required by law in the U.S.; I would be surprised to see it as an available factory option for a trailer, but maybe someone offers it. A good TPMS system requires multiple receivers installed in the vehicle and sensor/transmitters installed inside the tire (the valve stem is part of the sensor/transmitter assembly), which would be a pain for a company which buys the tires already mounted on the wheels.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Personally, I do not like mixing tires, different tread, different manufacturers, different ratings, all can lead to not the best towing experience, just my opinion.Also operating a higher load tire at less than optimum pressure can cause an accident, again just my opinion.
Maximum pressure and optimum pressure are not the same thing. Tire manufacturers publish inflation numbers based on load and there is no reason to run tires at maximum pressure unless you need the load rating that pressure provides. People seem to understand this with their car or truck tires and will follow the manufacturer recommended pressure, but somehow think it magically changes when applied to a trailer.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #33

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Since the tires are wearing out fast, and not evenly, I'm planning to just replace each tire as needed. The individual tires are wearing evenly, but at different rates depending on which way I turn, and how often, anyway that is my theory.
Have you tried rotating the tires? Maybe a five tire rotation would help.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:24 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reace recommended rotation from front to back on the same side of tandem axle trailer, not from side to side, or involving the spare. Just repeating what was posted, since I have a 17B and only one axle and do not rotate at all.
Old 10-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #35

Yes, I thought about rotating tires same side, but seems like a lot of trouble for not much benefit, good thought though.

After researching available tires to buy, I will probably get same tires I have or at least same specs. Also, I'm going to start running 65psi, see it that makes any difference. thanks for responses. :-)
Old 10-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Maximum pressure and optimum pressure are not the same thing. Tire manufacturers publish inflation numbers based on load and there is no reason to run tires at maximum pressure unless you need the load rating that pressure provides. People seem to understand this with their car or truck tires and will follow the manufacturer recommended pressure, but somehow think it magically changes when applied to a trailer.
Exactly, the trailer tire manufacturer's recommended pressure is 65, right on the tires. In the past since e 2012, it had been 50 psi, but increased some time in 2018 when the new tire were being installed at ETI. My tow vehicle has similar numbers on the tires which I follow, not the yellow sticker inside the door jamb. The reason being I have different tires than what came from the factory on my truck, thus the tire pressure should be followed.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:39 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Exactly, the trailer tire manufacturer's recommended pressure is 65, right on the tires. In the past since e 2012, it had been 50 psi, but increased some time in 2018 when the new tire were being installed at ETI. My tow vehicle has similar numbers on the tires which I follow, not the yellow sticker inside the door jamb. The reason being I have different tires than what came from the factory on my truck, thus the tire pressure should be followed.
Wrong! The tire manufacturer maximum pressure is on the tire, nowhere does the tire manufacturer indicate that it is the blanket recommended pressure.

Also wrong on the truck tires.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLModer2 View Post
So-- We just picked up our new to us 5.0 TA. It doesn't have a lot fo miles on it yet...

We bought it used, and it came with the steel rims. Has anyone swapped them out for Alloy ones?

What tires did you go with? Size? Where did you get them?

Thanks,

John
Switching same size load range C tire to same size load range D tire will get you increased max weight rating. Example the Maxxis M8008 load range C has a max weight rating of 1840 lb per tire. Going to load range D has max weight rating of 2150.

If going to switch to different wheels or tires just make sure both are designated for trailer use.

Many on-line sites sale trailer wheels and tires. Below is sample of two.

https://www.trailer-wheels.com/searc...rd=transformer

https://recstuff.com/trailer-wheels
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:58 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Wrong! The tire manufacturer maximum pressure is on the tire, nowhere does the tire manufacturer indicate that it is the blanket recommended pressure.

Also wrong on the truck tires.
Maybe time to go back to his tagline "Often wrong, never in doubt"
Old 10-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #40

Quote:
My tow vehicle has similar numbers on the tires which I follow, not the yellow sticker inside the door jamb. The reason being I have different tires than what came from the factory on my truck, thus the tire pressure should be followed.
This is absolutely wrong, for the truck and for the tires. Your truck is available with a variety of tire sizes and types, and the truck manufacturer sets appropriate pressures for each of them (which may by coincidence be the same). If you have chosen a different size and type than any of the factory offerings, there is still an optimum pressure... and it is very unlikely to be the maximum inflation pressure (which is what is shown on the sidewall), just as it is not likely to be the maximum inflation pressure for the stock tires. "Maximum" is not the same as "correct for the application".