Frugal build sheet/disabled user questions - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2016, 12:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Curious. It seems like an obvious alternative to a standard grab handle.
Don't know Karen but they said no . I had that handle on both previous and loved it . There was also another one you see on RV 's they were going to , I had brought to them , but when we went to pick up they said they forgot to install . What we got was another black handle inside the door . That was better then nothing . You need good backing to install and maybe not enough there for larger handles . I really don't know the reasoning . Maybe that should be a important change now . Pat

Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'm sure you could have ETI install something similar to this:

Stromberg Carlson (AM-200) Lend-A-Hand White Assist Handle with Foam Grip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We wanted that same folding handle when we were doing our build and told no by Escape . Maybe they might now . Pat
Quote:
Curious. It seems like an obvious alternative to a standard grab handle.
I agree that it is the obvious choice, but that would presumably have the top mount above the seam line, and the lower mount below it. In the classic Escape body style those two areas are not parallel, so the mounting brackets would not sit flat on the trailer wall. With the 2017 body style the wall is vertical both above and below the seam, so this would no longer be an issue... but there are still structural questions.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I had one of those oversized handles on my Lance Trailer, they have notches in 90/180/270 degrees to lock the handle open or shut at the 270, unfortunately, the 90 can be inadvertently utilized and the handle blocks the door. The Lance had a window near where I was able to unlock the handle and open the door. In addition they are large pieces of equipment. I'd suggest a free standing set of steps with a railing set up by hubby upon arrival. The interior pole by the door is quite handy to use exiting the trailer. See here TODD Dock Step Handrail | West Marine

As far as most of your other options, they can all be eliminated since you indicate moving with the weather, so cold and hot will not be an issue, thus no extra insulation or dual water heater or a/c nor thermal windows package nor removable power cord, all of these are not needed to use the trailer .Perhaps dual six volts for the occasional overnight stay but the basic trailer should be adequate for your use.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #24

Trailer: 19' Escape- 2016 -(NEW 2017 model)
So much great info!

Brian, Great information about the equalizer, brakes, and hitch locks etc. I had not realized some of the different brands out there and you helped me so much! You really broke things down and explained them very well....thank you!

Kstock, The spa steps are a great idea. Nice and low for me. Stable too!

Pat and Harley had a great suggestion about the portable steps and rail. I didn't know that they existed. Definitely a help as I get weaker.

Washingtonia, Great suggestion about the walls as well as the Umbra hooks. I had read so much about these darn hooks through the past couple of months, and really didn't understand the enthusiasm. But it makes sense! Question about the walls however, do they significantly add any weight to the trailer? I read somewhere it was around 20 to 25 pounds per wall? Is that the case?

NWCat, so nice to see you again! Your post is filled with tons of very valuable information. We are still going through it, and will probably use many of your thoughts and suggestions. I also gleaned a lot from your build sheet post. Thanks so much! I'm so excited that this is finally happening!

I'm still going through all of the wonderful replies and information. Lots to digest, look up, and ponder. Thank you so much everybody! Will pop back in later today.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd suggest a free standing set of steps with a railing set up by hubby upon arrival.
I agree that this could be very effective; in addition to incorporating a handrail, it can be wider than the built-in steps, which should be helpful.

I built a set of steps for our fifth-wheel trailer, but that trailer was used as a seasonal cottage, and the steps I built are far too heavy and awkward to take along on a trip. The challenge will be the compromise between sufficient size and stability, and the weight and bulk. This will depend on the person deploying them, and the tow vehicle's cargo space.

An additional challenge with any steps is that the height to the trailer floor depends on the campsite: if you need to raise the door side wheel to level the trailer, the step up is higher.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree that this could be very effective; in addition to incorporating a handrail, it can be wider than the built-in steps, which should be helpful.

I built a set of steps for our fifth-wheel trailer, but that trailer was used as a seasonal cottage, and the steps I built are far too heavy and awkward to take along on a trip. The challenge will be the compromise between sufficient size and stability, and the weight and bulk. This will depend on the person deploying them, and the tow vehicle's cargo space.

An additional challenge with any steps is that the height to the trailer floor depends on the campsite: if you need to raise the door side wheel to level the trailer, the step up is higher.
Brian that is a good idea but It is probably heavy to install . At camping World and I am sure other RV parts dealer they have a handrail system that you attach one place to your trailer like the Fiamma awning attachments for arms attach to your trailer shell . I don't know the name . Later I can look it up if no one else comes up with it. It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum .Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum
Without a picture, it is hard to imagine....
Old 05-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #28

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
spa steps

I second the steps from amazon. They are light and we set them on the floor on a rug while moving and easy to set out side when we stop.
Jack using them now in Morro Bay.
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:52 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 Ltd Edition 15B (1 of 47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post

Washingtonia, Great suggestion about the walls as well as the Umbra hooks. I had read so much about these darn hooks through the past couple of months, and really didn't understand the enthusiasm. But it makes sense! Question about the walls however, do they significantly add any weight to the trailer? I read somewhere it was around 20 to 25 pounds per wall? Is that the case?
Sorry, I don't know what the weight increase would be. ETI basically installs a solid board between the paneling so the wall can handle a lot more weight hanging on it.

We had four walls done: two bathroom walls and both sides of the fridge. It was probably overkill, but sometimes overkill is good. With the 19, you may want to consider the left side of the fridge and the right side of the kitchen (for grab bars to get in/out of bed), the right side of the bathroom (grab bar getting up from the dinette), and the left side of the sink and right side of the dinette (for entering/exiting the trailer). I'm not that familiar with the 19 though, so some of these walls may already be solid. For example, the right side of the kitchen looks pretty robust. It appears to be weight-bearing.
Washingtonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
It also attaches to your step . It is suppose to be sturdy . It folds up when not in use and is made out of aluminum
Without a picture, it is hard to imagine....
In the camping world book page 56 . J Telescoping Rail Mate # 69346 . Removable rail that stores and sets up in just minutes . Lightweight and easy to install . Designed for most manual entry steps . Club sale $129.99 . I have seen another one but I am busy right now . I am sure others can look too . Pat