Heated floors in a trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Has any one considered or tried this
what are your views 1 100.00%
any comments 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 PM   #11

Re: Heated floors in a trailer

I mentioned the Insulation that is equivalent in R value to 4" of fibre glass,
From what I nderstand of the construction of a 19 footer, or even the 5th. whell uinit, it is very open under the master bed.

This insulation has foil on one side and the reverse is peal and stick.

This product would then only take a few minutes to install on the ceiling of the under bed storage area (if you ever worked underground in a mine this is known as the hanging wall).

While my wife and I have opted for the double glazed windows and the double insulation in the walls and ceiling,
I understand frrom Tammy there is no insulation in the floor of an Escape Trailer.

That is what got me thinking of a heated floor and how to do it

Doug

Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #12

http://www.thermosoft.com/thermotile...FRQ8gwodfECUIA.
[/quote]
Thanks for this lead Donna. The Thermofloor mats will go under floating manufactured floors! I'd thought about putting "wood" on our floor sometime...now I may do it with HEAT under it : - ) Wouldn't that feel nice on a cool night's walk to the bathroom!

Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape

I mentioned the Insulation that is equivalent in R value to 4" of fibre glass,
From what I nderstand of the construction of a 19 footer, or even the 5th. whell uinit, it is very open under the master bed.
This product would then only take a few minutes to install on the ceiling of the under bed storage area (if you ever worked underground in a mine this is known as the hanging wall).
I understand frrom Tammy there is no insulation in the floor of an Escape Trailer.
That is what got me thinking of a heated floor and how to do it
Doug
I glad you got to thinking about it...with Donna's suggestion of the Thermofloor mats (under floating manufactured floors), this may be a real possibility!
Perhaps it's the firm, 5" thick foam mattress, plus our 1 1/2" topper, but our bed on the 5.0 has never been cold! But the floor on either side feels chilly, as do the windows (even double paned, of course). And yes, the floor of the trailer can be cold...we use throw rugs to both warm the feet, and make it easier to keep clean.
"hanging wall" Yep, my major at Va Tech was Mining Engineering...just went to dental school to learn how to excavate smaller holes : - )
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I plan on installing cork flooring in my trailer, I have the material, just have to get at it. Cork instantly warms up when you step on it. It is a great insulator and looks good too. Heating the floor relies on an energy source, something I am most often camping without.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #15

Hokie Escape

This has nothing to do with trailers, and I can never be accused of staying on point.

I no longer have to worry about cavities, or as a mining engineer would say "Vugs" in my teeth, They are all bolted in top and bottom on titaniam armatures, costly but the best thing I ever put in my mouth.

Donna has a very good point with electric heat pads, they could be layed on top of the insulation I mentioned, would reduce the head room by about an inch when all the installation is complete, and yes your feet would be warm.

A lot less work than putting in a hot water tank and tubing

Thanks Donna for researching that.

Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #16

A name, brand, for that insulation?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #17

Interesting topic. Here on the East Coast in-floor heat in homes is very common. The two types is the coil plastic piping filled with glycol (usually) or electric coils. The electric coils are very thin.....essentially wire either embeded in concrete floor or fastened to the underside of upper level floors with adhesive tabs or screw tabs. A friend of mine has a 38' (very well equipped) motor home and he installed electric coil heating on the top of the floor and installed ceramic tile over the whole thing. Beautiful job and warm floors. Don't see why that wouldn't work in an Escape....on a small scale for sure.