High Lift and Stabilizers (17B) - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
You can cut up white cutting boards and just screw/bolt the pieces together to laminate whatever thickness you want. However, that material is UHMW and designed to be non-stick, so not too sure I'd want to depend on it to hold on a grade! .
Point taken. Thanks.
I can, with some work, double cut a 'file' like surface on one side.
Lots of passes on a table saw...

what is UHMW?

Old 09-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #32

Trailer: ""
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxoco View Post
It is really about trying to set up or take down in the rain.
Running around, squatting down and handling slimey pieces of wood sort of sucks...
I'm just trying to simplify those parts of the task.

And, I guess if the pads on the end of the feet were thicker, they would have a wider stance and be more stable and with less cranking.
Exactly! And if ETI could just install a stabilizer with a greater extension instead of trying to sell me a bag of plastic blocks...

BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Point taken. Thanks.
I can, with some work, double cut a 'file' like surface on one side.
Lots of passes on a table saw...
I made interlocking levelling boards with 45 degree saw cuts about 1/2" apart and 1/4" deep on the bottom board which prevented sliding.

This is an early prototype

Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
In the past 10 years of camping I have yet found a spot where I could not extend my stabilizers properly, if I did, I moved. I'm sure Bill if you encounter such a spot and decide not to move, perhaps an after market stabilizer can be added by yourself. Most bolt on, I've always liked the B@L model that extends
both from one side.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 97 Ford Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Exactly! And if ETI could just install a stabilizer with a greater extension instead of trying to sell me a bag of plastic blocks...
It looks like BAL has longer versions

BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry
Old 09-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #36

Quote:

what is UHMW?
Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene. I have a small amount of odds and ends purchased from Lee Valley on clearance.They sell an assortment of sizes up to 3/4" thick. It is pricey IMHO.

I have used it for table saw slides and carved a replacement door part for a dishwasher from it.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Stabilizer blocks

Like Jim, I rarely encounter a campsite where the stabilizers on the 19, won't reach the ground and do their job. However, should I encounter the need, I carry some pieces of one by six about 8 inches long. I can stack a couple up and that will usually do it. If I need more than that, I usually move a little or put some dirt in the hole. I use scraps of western red cedar that I have at home.
As a long time camping ritual, when we've been out for several days and are going to return home the next day, we usually have a nice campfire on the last night. As it gets late, and nobody wants the night to end, I round up the spare blocks and announce to all present " We're going home tomorrow, got to, cause I'm burning the blocks." Then I throw them into the fire for one last bit of campfire. Good for a laugh at the time.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Like Jim, I rarely encounter a campsite where the stabilizers on the 19, won't reach the ground and do their job. However, should I encounter the need, I carry some pieces of one by six about 8 inches long. I can stack a couple up and that will usually do it. If I need more than that, I usually move a little or put some dirt in the hole. I use scraps of western red cedar that I have at home.
As a long time camping ritual, when we've been out for several days and are going to return home the next day, we usually have a nice campfire on the last night. As it gets late, and nobody wants the night to end, I round up the spare blocks and announce to all present " We're going home tomorrow, got to, cause I'm burning the blocks." Then I throw them into the fire for one last bit of campfire. Good for a laugh at the time.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... You sound like a "Block off the old chip". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Was working with a logger last night till well after dark making decorations for my son's wedding. He had a trailer there for hauling logs he was reinforcing, welds looked lice they were put on with a butter knife. Smooth and even, no grinding needed. Find a logger, you'll find a welder nearby. Them guys are hard on things. Made lots of cookies about a foot in diameter.
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:28 AM   #40

We own an Escape 19. We lived in the Yukon, a level campsite is rare.
I purchased and installed scissors Jacks about five years ago. It only takes a few minutes to level the trailer. We have camped with one set of wheels hanging seven inches off the ground.
It only took me about an hour to install. The jacks.
Doug

Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote