High Lift and Stabilizers (17B) - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2017, 03:10 PM   #61

No, no mods required.
An Escape Trailer is inherently strong because of the way they are constructed. The basic bowl type of construction resists twisting, bending.
The frame is basically needed to attach, the under carriage.
There are four bolts, one on each corner.
The scissors Jacks are attached by two bolts each. The four bolts that attached the body of the trailer to the frame, are long enough to use to attach the scissors Jacks by one of the holes in the jack, attach point.
You will then drill the second attach point hole.
The jacks come with self tapping bolts for attaching, the jacks.
What I would like to see, is a leveling bubble, on each side, and end of the trailer.
This would eliminate the need to walk around to check the level.
To park our trailer, I position it, put the jacks down to level it.
To check the bearings or change a tire I simply jack up the trailer and remove the wheel.
I have, for a test lifted the trailer, with all wheels off the ground, on the jacks.
I hav camped on uneven ground with the wheels in one side, seven inches off the ground. The trailer was stable. I once carried a cut up moose home from the mountains in the trauler.
Road conditions : it took five hours to drive 180 kilometers. Like I said, the Escape trailers are strong.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:16 PM   #62

The metal tubing used for the frames is far stronger, than what is required for a trailer of this weight. I could advise on how to make the weld joins stronger.
I think they have this in hand.
Doug
Old 11-21-2017, 03:22 PM   #63

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Escape View Post
I once carried a cut up moose home from the mountains in the trailer.

Doug
And, you're still a legend for that.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #64

Nothing to Bragg about, it is the way when you spend most of your life in the Arctic and sub-arctic.
There were five hunters up there, we took out four moose. My moose was young, only a 44 inch spread on his horns. Small for the Yukon. I hunt for meat, not trophies.
I gave most of the meat to the people of Ross River.
If you would like, you can Google "Sheldon Lake Yukon ". "McMillan Pass, Yukon" or perhaps the "Canol Road, Yukon ".
I only lived there this time for 23 years.

Doug
Old 11-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #65

You could even Google Ross River Yukon.
Doug
Old 11-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #66

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
To park our trailer, I position it, put the jacks down to level it. To check the bearings or change a tire I simply jack up the trailer and remove the wheel.
I have, for a test lifted the trailer, with all wheels off the ground, on the jacks.
I hav camped on uneven ground with the wheels in one side, seven inches off the ground. The trailer was stable.
Doug: I have no doubt this is possible and maybe even ok (regardless of the lawyer mumbo jumbo) given the strength of the typical Escape frame. Our trailer was one of a few early 19’s to come with BAL scissor jacks (apparently due to a procurement mix up at ETI). They are welded to the frame and from what I recall have a 24” travel and either 5,000 or 7,500 # capacity each. My question is how are you getting the required torque to actually lift the trailer? It can’t possibly be with the flimsy hex drive handle typically supplied by the manufacturer. I’ve tried to lift the trailer with it as a test and it gets to the point of substantial load that the handle just wants to twist.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:54 PM   #67

First off, I was raised in isolated conditions where you had to sort out ways to make things work.
I understand the jacks we have on our trailer have a static load capacity of around 7500 pounds each.
I understand the jacks have a lifting capacity of around 3500 pounds each.
I understand our trailer wet and provisioned weights around 3000 pounds.
Now here is where your socket wrench may have failed. If you have a socket on a crank type handle. The pin passing through the handle and socket will fail under pressure when lifting. I replaced that pin for one with superior strength. A person could use a ratchet wrench, with an appropriate socket.
You also have to insure the lifting screw is well greased. I make a point of lifting and leveling the trailer on the front jacks.
Then I lift and level the the back end of the trailer. Just my pattern, could have a different method.
The pressure on the crank handle is not excessive. While I camped once with wheels off the ground , that is the exception.
The trailer was parked on level ground when I extended each jack fully. This lifted all wheels and trailer hitch jack, off the ground. That was a one off as well, to see if it could be done.
I went into the trailer, all the doors and drawers worked.
The stabilizer legs are useless in bush camping conditions.
As for Lawyers, my grandson spent four years in the university of British Columbia to become a lawyer.
He is now looking to be an electrician.
I hope this explains the situation.
Doug
Old 11-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #68

I also carry four pieces of pressure treated plank. 2X10X16, that I put under the jack feet.
Doug
Old 11-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #69

Trailer: Escape
Hmmmm. Thinking about all that.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #70

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Quote:
Nothing to Bragg about, it is the way when you spend most of your life in the Arctic and sub-arctic.
There were five hunters up there, we took out four moose. My moose was young, only a 44 inch spread on his horns. Small for the Yukon. I hunt for meat, not trophies.
I gave most of the meat to the people of Ross River.
If you would like, you can Google "Sheldon Lake Yukon ". "McMillan Pass, Yukon" or perhaps the "Canol Road, Yukon ".
I only lived there this time for 23 years.

Doug
Doug the canol road is on my short list for the future after we pick up our 5.0TA and get it a bit more equipped for traveling over long stretches of gravel roads. We did brave the road to Keno City in our motorhome some years ago and had a great time. The Yukon has many of our favorite travel destinations.

Getting back to the original topic, I'm interested in scissor jacks that could support the trailer but not sure how much weight the front stabilizers are rated for. I'm going to check with ETI as it would be nice to avoid stacking boards.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:47 AM   #71

Like I noted the jacks I used are rated for a static load of around 7500 pounds.
I noted the Canol Road is a little over 260 some kilometers from Ross River to the NWT border. The road is somewhat passable for about 14 kilometers into the NWT.
There is a cable ferry at Ross River, to cross the river. As I noted in another post, about 180 kilometers is rough.
It is all gravel, do not power through corners, that is what blows tires. When I was hunting I had a short time to get a moose, because they were going to pull the ferry for the winter, ice was forming. There is a lot of mining exploration in the pass in summer. Watch out for trucks. While there is a lot of moose and woodland caribou, there are also a lot of grizzly bear. As well there is a lot of partridge, and Ptarmigan.
The views are beautiful, as is the solitude.
Have extra gas, and a couple spare tires, you will not regret it.
I worked for years in the high Arctic, and this is close.
Doug
Old 12-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #72

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17-B
I have the high lift option on my 17B and picked up my trailer in October and camped my way back to Colorado through Banff NP and did not experience any problem with the stabilizers.
Rick G.
rlg303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #73

That is great, I really am not sure how your stabilizers work. I am glad you are happy with them. I will try to attack a photo of one of our scissors Jacks
Doug
Old 12-26-2017, 01:05 AM   #74

Smile

One of my scissors lift attached under our Escape 19
Doug
Old 12-26-2017, 01:07 AM   #75

I seriously need to know how to post a photo.
I thought I was following directions.
Doug
Old 12-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Illustrated instructions for posting photos:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...otos-9057.html
Old 12-26-2017, 04:10 PM   #77

Scissors lift on our Escape 19
DougClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171225_172001.jpg
Views:	31