Lagun table bracket mod - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
One more technical question. How critical to the support of the arm is the steel L channel across the top of the back bench? Thinking of leaving that off and wanted input. Had bracket made today and it is hefty.
Hi Terry, In my opinion the angle iron across the top edge is important. Without it, most of the leverage is born by the bracket bolted to the floor. I used a 1"X1" steel angle iron that was 4' long. It spans the framing of the side benches and totally eliminates any flex in the wall you mount the Lagun bracket to. I purchased the angle piece from Home Depot. Also it was very simple to install! Drilled 8 holes and screwed it to the wall frame. It just makes the whole install a bit more sturdy. Given the small added expense and ease of putting it in, I would suggest you add it. Mark.
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Will the Lagun support a full sized table in a U-shaped dinette?
Hi Jim. The Lagun folding table that I installed when fully opened measures 26 1/2" X 31 1/2". The table feels full sized to me! I've had 4 people eating and also playing cards with plenty of room. A table sized to make the bed as well was just too big in my opinion. I was given the stock table by Escape and set it on the Lagun mount and did not like it. The folding table is great and is useful in many positions. I cut 2 pieces of plywood for bed filler boards and they work great. They store easily in the closet, as does the folding table when the made into a bed. I'm very happy with the whole install. I posted pictures earlier in this thread. Mark.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:43 PM   #103

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
Hi Jim. The Lagun folding table that I installed when fully opened measures 26 1/2" X 31 1/2". The table feels full sized to me! I've had 4 people eating and also playing cards with plenty of room. A table sized to make the bed as well was just too big in my opinion. I was given the stock table by Escape and set it on the Lagun mount and did not like it. The folding table is great and is useful in many positions. I cut 2 pieces of plywood for bed filler boards and they work great. They store easily in the closet, as does the folding table when the made into a bed. I'm very happy with the whole install. I posted pictures earlier in this thread. Mark.
I saw the photos, and it looks like a great setup. For us though, we feel the full-sized table (sized to use for a bed) is none to big. We use the table for lots of tasks. I know I played with the idea of the Lagun on paper, knowing its range of motion. I think if I was to use a table with folding leaves that make it half size, it would work.

My wondering was more to the effect that can the Lagun support actually hold the weight of a full-sized table loaded up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #104

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
Good, I will do it. Thanks for your expertise.
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #105

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
I ordered a couple of galvanized Simpson Strong-Tie Heavy Duty Shelf Brackets from Amazon for about $8 each. They're backordered.

I plan to put the short side on the floor. Hopefully I can bolt through the mount right into the brackets, maybe with some spacers.

These are nice, if I have a problem with my set up this is what I'll get!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #106

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
My wondering was more to the effect that can the Lagun support actually hold the weight of a full-sized table loaded up.

Jim,

I didn't answer because I won't have any actual experience for another two months. I plan to use the full sized table on my Lagun. As for loaded up... I'll get pretty cranky if someone tries to sit on the table. Other than that, I'm expecting it will be fine because the table on the u-shaped dinette isn't that big.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #107

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
As for loaded up... I'll get pretty cranky if someone tries to sit on the table.
What? No exotic table dancers?

Looking forward to hearing how this works for you. If I didn't already have the Springfield /Dicor combo in my stores when I first heard of the Lagun, I would have looked more seriously into it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #108

Quote:
What? No exotic table dancers?

Well, I might make an exception for exotics table dancers. But if they're over 18", they'd have to wait for me to unmount the table and set it on the floor.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 PM   #109

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Well, I might make an exception for exotics table dancers. But if they're over 18", they'd have to wait for me to unmount the table and set it on the floor.
Hi: ReagentGrade... uminum e minimumble phlo. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:47 PM   #110

Alf, umm, right??
Old 07-23-2017, 02:55 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark&Elaine View Post
Hi Terry, In my opinion the angle iron across the top edge is important. Without it, most of the leverage is born by the bracket bolted to the floor. I used a 1"X1" steel angle iron that was 4' long. It spans the framing of the side benches and totally eliminates any flex in the wall you mount the Lagun bracket to. I purchased the angle piece from Home Depot. Also it was very simple to install! Drilled 8 holes and screwed it to the wall frame. It just makes the whole install a bit more sturdy. Given the small added expense and ease of putting it in, I would suggest you add it. Mark.

Hey Mark,
I didn't really understand this comment until I reviewed the photos of the seating area with the seating panels up. This is very different than the way my Bigfoot was built. In the BF, the angle iron could not have extended into side seats because they were partitioned.
The Escape is open on the ends, joined to the side underseat areas. I can see how the angle iron spreads the load to the supports on the side seats. Is it needed? Maybe not, but it's cheap insurance both in materials and labor. Excellent idea.
Rich
Old 07-23-2017, 10:04 PM   #112

Quote:
Hey Mark,
I didn't really understand this comment until I reviewed the photos of the seating area with the seating panels up. This is very different than the way my Bigfoot was built. In the BF, the angle iron could not have extended into side seats because they were partitioned.
The Escape is open on the ends, joined to the side underseat areas. I can see how the angle iron spreads the load to the supports on the side seats. Is it needed? Maybe not, but it's cheap insurance both in materials and labor. Excellent idea.
Rich
Rich, It is a great idea! Just not mine! I spoke to Reace about the Lagun installation when I picked up my trailer and described my idea about the floor bracket. He was the one that suggested strengthening that wall with the angle iron. I too thought it was a good idea and used it. The stronger the better!
Old 08-04-2017, 01:11 AM   #113

Ok, finished the bracket and L channel. Everything is sturdy without a wobble. I am very happy with the modification. Thanks everyone for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1628.JPG   IMG_1627.JPG  
Old 08-04-2017, 01:19 AM   #114

Now only one small issue. I mounted the handle of the pedestal too close to the brown panel, now needing to reverse the black handle to the other side. How easy is it to carve into aluminum to make a square hole on the other side of bracket? Maybe use a dremel tool for this?
Old 08-04-2017, 02:17 AM   #115

Quote:
Now only one small issue. I mounted the handle of the pedestal too close to the brown panel, now needing to reverse the black handle to the other side. How easy is it to carve into aluminum to make a square hole on the other side of bracket? Maybe use a dremel tool for this?
Terry, I just reversed the direction of the bolt without making a square hole. I used a different tapered head bolt, it protrudes slightly from the post and the clamp works just fine. If you can grind out the round hole to square, it would look better! Mark
Old 08-05-2017, 12:44 AM   #116

Smile

Thanks Mark, I will try that.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:28 AM   #117

lagun table

My bracket is working on lagun table great. Now I am working on table top. Anyone know where I can order the brown plastic slide parts that are under the standard table. Picture enclosed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1909.jpg  
Old 08-19-2017, 01:14 AM   #118

Quote:
My bracket is working on lagun table great. Now I am working on table top. Anyone know where I can order the brown plastic slide parts that are under the standard table. Picture enclosed.
Terry, I have the original table ETI provided with the slides. I'm not using that table and I removed the slide pieces and have no intention of using them. I'd be glad to send the slides to you if you want them. However, I won't be home till the first of September. Send me a PM with your address if you want them and can wait till September. Mark
Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #119

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Terry, I am not sure you will want or need the slides with the Lagun table leg. It easily rotates out of the way depending how large your table top that you end up putting on it. Our table is about 20 inches deep and is about 34 1/2 inches wide. We love ours! Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:36 AM   #120

I am keeping the large table that Escape provided with the slides, but want the option of easily replacing that with a smaller table with slides when I want too. I will most likely use the smaller table most of the time. That's my plan at least.