Levels for Trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2018, 09:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Talking Levels for Trailer

I would like to mount a level visable from the rear view mirror. The one on the back is blocked by our bike carrier. I know the topic has been beat around before. With the Anderson levelers, seems like a nice low tech way to go. A lot of the levels get marginal reviews. I don't want drill holes for sure. Some are pretty ugly. Looking for recommendations.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:32 AM   #2

I'm ready to get some also, but saw some negative comments about Andersen (?). I'd buy the Andersen stuff, but why not ? The Camco wedges seem a little "small" for my liking.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
I installed the Hopkins Never Fade Two Way Graduated Level on my trailer. I can see the bubble from the rear view mirror and I like that is doesn't fade like the green ones.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Hopkins/HM08526.html

I replaced the adhesive on the back with 3M double sided tape and it's been on the trailer for a year. Oh, and used a 4 foot level to set it as the ones that came with the trailer were off a little. I used the floor of the trailer as the reference - that's the part I wanted level when parked.
Attached Thumbnails
Hopkins Never Fade.jpg  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I used the floor of the trailer as the reference - that's the part I wanted level when parked.
I use the countertop for level reference. All horizontal planes are close, but I hate it when my eggs or pancakes run to one side of the pan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #5

Where did you mount them? Visable from door mirror or center mirror? Do you think big enough to see with pickup as a tug? Thanks.

Zig Ziglar
Old 04-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

I mounted the front level centered above the light - looking through the rear view mirror, I can maneuver the trailer until level.

The side level is mounted near the front of the trailer - that way I can run the trailer jack up/down until level while watching it. I also mounted one of the Escape levels that I removed to the side of the jack so I could get it close before having to reference the level on the side.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Level.jpg   Side Level.jpg  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:49 AM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I use a Level Master, it's easy to see in the mirror. Having a 5th wheel I use the additional mount, you'd have to read on the Web site how to mount it on a regular trailer.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I use a Level Master, it's easy to see in the mirror. Having a 5th wheel I use the additional mount, you'd have to read on the Web site how to mount it on a regular trailer.
The level master was one of my choices too -- I just couldn't come up with a good way to mount it without putting holes in the trailer. All the really big levels seem to require screwing them to the trailer which was something I wanted to avoid.

The Hopkins is easy to see from the truck rear view mirror, not as great as the level master, but good enough and it mounted with double sticky well enough to not come off.

[edit] I did a google and found out that a new level master is out that might work without having to make holes in the trailer.

Wheel Masters: Level Master

The Level Master II is plastic and it may be able to mount using double sticky. Next time I see one at the local RV store, I may try it.
Attached Thumbnails
Level Master II.jpg  
Old 04-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
A friend has that one mounted w sticky on the front of his Aframe. He reminded me that the ball inside goes to the low side vs the bubble which goes to the high side.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I use the countertop for level reference. All horizontal planes are close, but I hate it when my eggs or pancakes run to one side of the pan.
I agree. I brought along a 2 foot level on this last trip and was using the floor for reference at first. But then I noticed that the eggs were going to the back of the pan. I started to use the countertop for reference and realized when it is level the floor is a 1/2 bubble nose down.

Good discussion as I want to replace the tiny level by the door that came with the trailer. Thanks all for the recommendations.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Where do you put the master level so you can see it from the truck cab with a 5th wheel? It would be nice to see it without jumping out a trillion times -I usually camp alone.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Where do you put the master level so you can see it from the truck cab with a 5th wheel? It would be nice to see it without jumping out a trillion times -I usually camp alone.
It mounts on the pin box. You do need to drill holes for the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Level1.jpg   level2.jpg  
Old 04-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Remote Level app (no hardware purchase)

I have recently added technology to replace the big level mounted on the front of the trailer. For Android, the free "Remote Level" app (see pictures), combined with two phones, provides a transmit/receive remote level.

I use my current phone in the cab as the receiver, and an old phone permanently mounted and powered in the trailer as the transmitter. You could also use a second active phone as the transmitter, placed temporarily on a counter when leveling.

The app can be easily calibrated for "trailer level" with the transmit phone on any surface, and stores "hitch height" for reconnecting. Units can be set to height in inches (based on trailer dimensions) for a more meaningful display.

While parking and using the Anderson Leveler, I'm only looking at side-to-side on the receiver. Once the trailer is disconnected, I have the receiver phone in hand to do the front to back level, and tweak the side to side with jacks and stabilizers.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20180418-103222.png   Screenshot_20180418-114222.png  
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE3 View Post
I have recently added technology to replace the big level mounted on the front of the trailer. For Android, the free "Remote Level" app (see pictures), combined with two phones, provides a transmit/receive remote level.

I use my current phone in the cab as the receiver, and an old phone permanently mounted and powered in the trailer as the transmitter. You could also use a second active phone as the transmitter, placed temporarily on a counter when leveling.

The app can be easily calibrated for "trailer level" with the transmit phone on any surface, and stores "hitch height" for reconnecting. Units can be set to height in inches (based on trailer dimensions) for a more meaningful display.

While parking and using the Anderson Leveler, I'm only looking at side-to-side on the receiver. Once the trailer is disconnected, I have the receiver phone in hand to do the front to back level, and tweak the side to side with jacks and stabilizers.

oh thats too cool. but both my pixel phone and my tablet show quite a bit of error relative to the carpenter's level I've been using. hmmm.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
oh thats too cool. but both my pixel phone and my tablet show quite a bit of error relative to the carpenter's level I've been using. hmmm.
Yah, and a 4' level on the floor, the counter and the table will all show slightly different "levels". For me I usually look at it and say "good enough".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:48 PM   #16

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
level?

I just check the cabinet doors to see if they all swing part way open and stay there .Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:33 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
my escape is a lot 'flatter' than my Casita but its weird, that Remote Level app shows 2.5 degrees front low, regardless of whether the phone is facing forwards or backwards. I've zeroed the level with other 'bubble level' apps (I usually use GPS Status as a universal leveler, compass, altimeter, and GPS coordinate display) but it had no effect on Remote Level.

ah well.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I suspect that the frame isn't perfectly straight. Don't know that for a fact but when I measure the floor level just ahead of the bed and the floor level under the dinette I get two different readings. Not much but different.

I wouldn't be surprised if the frame isn't slightly crowned. Welding more on one side of a straight piece of steel than the other will cause shrinkage.

But, after years of sleeping on boats that were rarely level, it doesn't really matter to us if we're dead level. As long as the cabinet doors stay closed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:53 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I like the anderson wedge, but i also carry a stack of the square pads, sometimes for the tongue, and especially, if i am parking at my daughter's house, where the curbside is quite a bit lower than the wheels on the drivers side for water runoff. the red wedge would not be enough.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I mounted the front level centered above the light - looking through the rear view mirror, I can maneuver the trailer until level.

The side level is mounted near the front of the trailer - that way I can run the trailer jack up/down until level while watching it. I also mounted one of the Escape levels that I removed to the side of the jack so I could get it close before having to reference the level on the side.
I got my second set of Hopkins yesterday. Will install next time the cover is off. My first set was missing a glass coming from Amazon.

Zig Ziglar