Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #221

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is wrong with the Maxxfan on low pulling air in, silent but breezy......
Old 11-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #222

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
"...That’s the real beauty of this install ..."

Absolutely. My "similar" fan install considerably less elegant, no oscillation unless by foot.
Attached Thumbnails
fan1.jpg  
Old 11-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #223

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post

Nothing wrong at all with Maxxfan for ventilation. We do that all the time. Sometimes though we find circumstances prefer a more directed breeze, and the Caframo can do that in a way that’s not exactly replicable by Maxxfan. All told, the Maxxfan gets far more use, but we like options. Options are good.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #224

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
We're with Scott & Myron. In warm weather, we like a gentle breeze blowing over our faces when we sleep in our 21', and the Maxxfan doesn't get it done. So we just set a little counter top fan on top of the drawer stack facing over the bed when we call it a night, and that works fine for us.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #225

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Nothing wrong at all with Maxxfan for ventilation. We do that all the time. Sometimes though we find circumstances prefer a more directed breeze, and the Caframo can do that in a way that’s not exactly replicable by Maxxfan. All told, the Maxxfan gets far more use, but we like options. Options are good.
Our reasoning also. If we can just open our sliding windows and have a nice directed breeze and not turn on the air , works for us . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0475.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #226

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We removed 2 fans from our sailboat, Caframos both, and installed one over the bed and the other over the dinette. We have the less than elegant clamp fitting and a wire from the 12 V outlets. Caframos move a lot of air with a low amp draw. It's nice to sleep or read under a breeze in warm conditions. I don't think we have shut the Maxx Can off since we picked up the trailer in Chilliwack on Oct 1.
Upfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:38 PM   #227

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
https://www.ryobitools.com/power-too...s-portable-fan

I took this on my long trip this summer/fall. it works with an extension cord or with the ryobi batteries that i carry with my drill. i often set it on the dining table and used it to focus a breeze toward the other end where my bed is. two speeds. fan rotates on the stand to focus air up or down.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:41 PM   #228

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post

I took this on my long trip this summer/fall.

Does it come in black?
Old 11-24-2018, 10:57 PM   #229

Quote:

I took this on my long trip this summer/fall. it works with an extension cord or with the ryobi batteries that i carry with my drill. i often set it on the dining table and used it to focus a breeze toward the other end where my bed is. two speeds. fan rotates on the stand to focus air up or down.

Nice! I’ve been eyeing those for a while. I’m a fan of Ryobi’s cordless tools. Excellent value for the dollar. When we were on the road in our 17B for a year we carried their cordless air compressor, lantern, hand vac, glue gun, chain saw, and 12V car charger for the interchangeable batteries that everything used.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:55 AM   #230

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
My small computer fan hanging in front of the open window appears to be many times better than the Maxxfan for providing a gentle targeted breeze.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #231

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
thanks, scott. on your recommendation, i just added the hand vac to my christmas list. already have the air compressor and the nifty flashlight that came with my original four tool purchase. my new highlander has a regular plug so can recharge on the road. i'm another big ryobi "fan".
Old 11-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #232

Quote:
thanks, scott. on your recommendation, i just added the hand vac to my christmas list. already have the air compressor and the nifty flashlight that came with my original four tool purchase. my new highlander has a regular plug so can recharge on the road. i'm another big ryobi "fan".

Ryobi also now makes a super bright hand held LED light cannon, model P717, that can be useful in big outdoor spaces. The chainsaw was an addition after our first six months of exploring the US. We had two separate incidents where adventuresome-looking GPS “shortcuts“ led us (with trailer in tow) over mountain passes that were actually mountain Jeep trails, and one in particular had not seen traffic in some time and multiple trees across the road. High adventure [emoji849]
Old 11-25-2018, 02:13 PM   #233

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Regarding cordless vac I'm using the 18v Makita cordless. Currently resides in the bottom step.
Attached Thumbnails
Makita 61MB29YdAyL._SL1500_.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 09:36 AM   #234

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Here’s another mod that makes me smile. Apologies in advance for the lousy picture quality on this one. We added an excellent Caframo Scirocco II fan, which is made for boats, in a back corner next to our 19’s bed. When built we had ETI put captains lights at all four corners of the bed, as we weren’t sure which way we would want to orient for sleep. Once we had decided that, I replaced one of the lights at the “foot” with our fan. That’s the real beauty of this install - no running of wires inside cabinetry as it was all right there already for the captains light. The bottom of the upper cabinet in that area is hollow and I do not trust it to hold any weight in a bouncing trailer, so I fabricated a 1/4” piece of oak for backer support, spanning between the under-cabinet framing at the exterior walls. Result is a tidy install and a nice, aimable breeze. Another nice feature of this particular fan is that it has a timer, so you can press a button one to three times to correspond to a one to three hour timer, then it shuts off. Attachment 35293Attachment 35294
Nice work. Completely agree that directed breeze is a great option. Slept in some pretty hot, humid nights without A/C and the MaxxFan helped those up front in the 19 better then those in the rear bed. The trouble is with the MaxxFan on higher to move more air then it gets too loud for sleeping. Had a Caframo Bora fan that I rigged as a bathroom exhaust in my fathers Scamp. Ok fan, but the Sirocco II looks much nicer. Since there is already a 12V drop at the back cabinets available to me that was added at the build by the original owner for a stereo I might just have to add this to the list of things to do...

By the way, regarding specs for the Sirocco II it is 3 speed and the timer is 3,6,9 or 12 hours as advertised.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #235

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I installed the Caframo Sirocco fan a couple years ago, and we just love it the when we need it. It is nice for having a nap on a hot day off the grid. We have also used it to equalize the temperatures in the loft, mostly when the temps outside are extreme, hot or cold.

We also love using the MaxxFan. Cracking selective windows open to draw air across us works great. Love to open only the ones by the bed when it is a hot night drawing a nice breeze across our faces while we sleep.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #236

I added a timer to the bed fan circuit, so now when I turn it on it shuts itself off after a defined time. My thinking is I’d like to be able to head out from the trailer in the morning with the circulation fans still running to mitigate the dreaded bed area condensation, but don’t want the fans to just run and run and run til manually shut off. This way they’ll do their thing then stop on their own. Currently set for 10 hours, so I turn it on when going to bed, they run all night, then a couple extra hours in the morning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	35404
Old 11-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #237

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Somebody has been busy underneath their bed........
Old 11-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #238

Quote:
Somebody has been busy underneath their bed........

Tinkering is fun! Done with all the planned mods under the bed though, and glad for it - It’s a tight squeeze under there!
Old 12-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #239

I like being able to check propane tank status without having to wrestle the tank cover off to do so. On our 17B I drilled a hole directly in front of the regulator so I could shine a flashlight in there to see if it was all still green or had flipped to red. We had a manual tongue jack on the 17B. When we upsized to our 19 we got the power tongue jack. Unfortunately, the head blocks the area in front of the regulator, preventing the observation hole method. So instead, I used a waterproof Command strip to attach a small acrylic mirror strategically inside the tank cover, so once again I can scope it out without having to do the cover wrestling. Before

Name:	IMG_0221.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	35515
After

Name:	IMG_0227.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	35516

Pic taken without auxiliary lighting. Flashlight shows things even better.

Time for a tank fill.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #240

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The lock and mirror mod is saved to my photo file of things to do next year.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote