Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere - Page 14 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-07-2018, 10:49 AM   #261

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thanks everyone....What is the procedure for cutting the PEX, razor knife or some other sharp instrument, maybe an oscillating tool?
A sharp utility knife will do the trick. A slight bending pressure away from the start of the cut and it will go quite easy. No need for any kind of cutters, though if doing a lot of plumbing they certainly are handy to have. The BORG sells a set that works fine for moderate use for under $10.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #262

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Learned cutting pex with the wrong tool does not work. Got lucky at nearby Salvation Army store, one dollar. Adding my 2cents, hose clamps a definite no-no. More luck: Borrowed pex crimp tools from neighbor.
Well Myron, as the saying goes, "it's not what you got, it's how you use it. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
A sharp utility knife will do the trick. A slight bending pressure away from the start of the cut and it will go quite easy. No need for any kind of cutters, though if doing a lot of plumbing they certainly are handy to have. The BORG sells a set that works fine for moderate use for under $10.
I agree. I did my first few pex uses without the cutter. No problems. I did buy an inexpensive cutter and it's easier and faster per cut. I love pex, either using crimp rings or sharkbite fittings. Wish I'd started using it years ago but I was a little slow to start using it due to the Poly-B problems of yesteryear.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #263

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Ratcheting pipe cutter, available at most any hardware store:Attachment 35573
What I used . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:53 AM   #264

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Another option is a Flair-it fitting. They are less expensive and less bulky than the Sharkbite.
The regular Flair-It fitting for PEX appear to use an compression ring and nut; I would have a lot more faith in that than an O-ring type of connection (such as a Sharkbite).

Looking at the Flair-It catalog, I see that they now have another alternative for a clamp around the usual PEX barb: PEXLOCK, which has a plastic ring which is tightened with pliers. I don't see any indication of how these clamps are removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I am actually going to use a bypass valve with the common port towards the shower. The “bypass” will normally have a cap on it but the valve can be turned to isolate from water system and drain shower by gravity. Plan to insert fitting in the quick connect port while opening exterior valves to allow air in.
Clever!
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #265

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have asked Escape to route my shower plumbing from above vs from underneath, should simplify gravity based drainage at the shower. Still waiting for an answer
Old 12-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #266

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wish I'd started using it years ago but I was a little slow to start using it due to the Poly-B problems of yesteryear.
You are not the only one. I know a few plumbers who were a bit gun shy to use PEX at first. I have changed out the Poly B in a couple dozen houses due to them having multiple leaks over time, or even just precautionary.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #267

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The regular Flair-It fitting for PEX appear to use an compression ring and nut; I would have a lot more faith in that than an O-ring type of connection (such as a Sharkbite).

Looking at the Flair-It catalog, I see that they now have another alternative for a clamp around the usual PEX barb: PEXLOCK, which has a plastic ring which is tightened with pliers. I don't see any indication of how these clamps are removed.

This one from the catalog you linked looks particularly useful for the outside shower application. Could be a one cut and done installation, replacing the screw on fitting at back of shower.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0250.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	35581
Old 12-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #268

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
What I used . Pat
Same here. Works great!

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:04 AM   #269

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That sounds like they're counting on gravity drainage, either out the shower or the other way to a low-point drain in the RV. I think this would only work well in this case if each shutoff valve is the high point of it's piping (mounted above the shower assembly).
Quote:
I have asked Escape to route my shower plumbing from above vs from underneath, should simplify gravity based drainage at the shower. Still waiting for an answer
I don’t think it will drain properly even if piped in this manner. There are check valves in the rear stems of the D&W/ Phoenix spray port box that Escape uses. These take force to open. Water will be trapped between the shutoff valve and the check valve. That is why I recommended the suction method earlier which if done from the outside could possibly work.

My new shower will have the checks removed and be piped from below. The first photo is the check valve. The second photo is the bypass valve I will use with handle inline for normal mode. The third photo is the bypass valve in isolation mode with handle perpendicular. Simply insert fitting in quick connect outside to allow air to enter, open hot and cold shower valves and remove cap inside to drain assembly fully via gravity into a large cup.
Attached Thumbnails
0AD08BAE-3B65-4A8E-B240-98B54BC3B579.jpg   D6D1D351-1A26-42D3-B414-ADBE9B6E81B0.jpg   AF4B24CD-319F-45DF-847F-5273DC31FB49.jpg  
Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM   #270

I was planning on opening the spray port to allow drainage and release the pressure, but with the plumbing from above, without any pressure, the lines should drain. Once drained, there should be some empty tubing to allow for expansion if needed.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:25 AM   #271

So you are saying there is a check valve inside each hot/cold knob as well as a check valve to hook up the outside hose? What is the purpose of the check valve, can it be operated without one? I understand now, if there is a check valve in the on/off know, then you would wand this 3 way below the source(rather than above) so that once you release the pressure it will drain. What is the p/n of this valve and how installed. Please post when you do this, thanks.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #272

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
The only downside of plumbing in the ceiling i see is I find you spring a leak
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #273

Quote:
So you are saying there is a check valve inside each hot/cold knob as well as a check valve to hook up the outside hose? What is the purpose of the check valve, can it be operated without one? I understand now, if there is a check valve in the on/off know, then you would wand this 3 way below the source(rather than above) so that once you release the pressure it will drain. What is the p/n of this valve and how installed. Please post when you do this, thanks.
Jim: You got it now. The check valves are in the rear stems of the hot and cold connections. I just stuck a screwdriver in and pulled them out. They are only there to prevent siphoning, but that is a really low risk given the application. There is no check valve elsewhere in the assembly but you need to open the quick connect fitting and Hot/Cold exterior valves to allow air in when draining. I tested it by blowing air through the assembly and it works as I describe.

The bypass valve part is:
https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16910-P.../dp/B002UCAE2U

Buy one for hot and one for cold.

You need two caps too:
https://www.amazon.com/Flair-16860-P...28XDTBRXMY4C2W

The valve is installed by cutting the pex. Slipping the nut over the piping. Inserting the pex onto the fitting and then tightening the nut.
Attached Thumbnails
DF553EA3-B375-4869-BE56-809CAD7BCD7E.jpg  
Old 12-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #274

Dave, is it possible to remove the check valve and operate the unit without such. If so then the upward plumbing would work, once you released the pressure outside? On edit and after thought, it would be very hard and inaccessible to do this from the rear in some of the units. May be best just easier to winterize via antifreeze.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:24 AM   #275

Quote:
Dave, is it possible to remove the check valve and operate the unit without such. If so then the upward plumbing would work, once you released the pressure outside? On edit and after thought, it would be very hard and inaccessible to do this from the rear in some of the units. May be best just easier to winterize via antifreeze.

I can only think of two reasons to add shutoff valves. 1) To be able to winterize just the exterior shower while still maintaining usability of the rest of the system (why I did it), or 2) To be able to shut off the shower in case it ever develops a leak.

If you plan to do the full on pink stuff anyway I don’t know that adding the valves would be of significant additional benefit.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #276

Quote:
I can only think of two reasons to add shutoff valves. 1) To be able to winterize just the exterior shower while still maintaining usability of the rest of the system (why I did it), or 2) To be able to shut off the shower in case it ever develops a leak.

If you plan to do the full on pink stuff anyway I don’t know that adding the valves would be of significant additional benefit.
Exactly.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 PM   #277

Well I'm glad we got that settled, thanks for the reasoning. It will be on the back burner unless I get a leak...
Old 12-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #278

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
ETI install of external shut off valves

Quote:
The hardest part of this mod is the tight working space. Which is why it would be great if ETI would do it during the build.

The valves I used are these: Everflow Supplies 615P012-NL Lead Free Pex Full Port Ball Valve with Tee Handle, 1/2-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MA9DQEQ..._J0BcCb0M97WH2Attachment 35566

I also upgraded a few plastic fittings to brass while I was at it, including the ones that screw onto the shower assembly itself: SharkBite UC532LFA Swivel Elbow,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007AHJA1Q?ref=yo_pop_ma_swfAttachment 35567
I too asked for shut off valves for our summer 2019 19 build and was turned down!
Oh well more future mods for us winter camping buffs.
Thanks for all the great photos and detailed parts photos.
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:27 AM   #279

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
My pressure relief valve drips at a rate of 4 drops per second. Yep, 240 drops per minute. For about 20 minutes each time I run the hot water tank. Okay you math geniuses ... If I run my hot water twice a day, for 10 days, how much water do I lose?
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:35 AM   #280

Mods I Haven't Seen Elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaOstby View Post
My pressure relief valve drips at a rate of 4 drops per second. Yep, 240 drops per minute. For about 20 minutes each time I run the hot water tank. Okay you math geniuses ... If I run my hot water twice a day, for 10 days, how much water do I lose?

6.1111111111 gallons for two, twenty minute periods of leakage, at 240 drips per minute, daily for ten days. If you let it drip for the solid ten days you’d use 220 gallons.

Have you tried resetting your overpressure valve? It sounds like it’s either bad or perhaps the seal is obstructed by something, like a grain of sand. Try opening it up briefly to see if it clears up. Or try gently tapping with a hammer to see if that helps it seat.