Planned modifications for my 19' - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Re: Planned modifications for my 19'

The mods look good, Jim...

They do remind me of a question I've been wondering about, though. Where do people store their jackets? I guess if you come in from the rain they can hang in the bathroom (though that's awkward if somebody needs to use it). There doesn't seem to be a good place to store a couple of jackets that won't be in the way.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #62

Trailer: 2010 Escape 13

Like many others, we have put some 3M "Command" hooks in convenient locations to hang things like jackets and hats.
http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3M...mmand/Command/

2003 Subaru Forester
2012 Toyota Highlander V6
2010 Escape 13 "Ladybug" Feb 2010
bvansnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #63

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

I put up 2 hooks, inside and outside the bathroom door and a third one at the dinette corner. You have that entire bathroom wall that faces the door available and others have mounted several coat hooks there.I guess you could also fold up the coats and put them in the closet on a shelf.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #64

Thinking about the wet jacket issue... What is the surface veneer used on the wood work? Is it a real wood veneer, or a plastic veneer that just looks like wood? I'd hesitate to hang a wet jacket against a real wood veneer, no matter what finish was put on top of it. If it is real wood, that really means that inside the bathroom is the only option I can see.

I'd guess those command hooks would have no problem sticking to whatever makes up the walls inside the bathroom...

Old 10-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #65

all the wood finishes on cabinets and wall surfaces appear to have protective coating and water just beads up and falls to floor with no absorption into the wood. I could see an issue with trailers that have carpet or other cloth fabrics finishes on the walls but not with the Escapes.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #66

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

There is a closet next to the bathroom for dry jackets. I'd put wet ones in the bathroom.
Some people change the closet to shelves but we use the hanging rod for jackets and shirts and put other items on the floor of the closet. We did not want shelves (and still don't) but others love their shelves. I don't know if it is a wood veneer on most surfaces but I believe the cabinet doors are oak. I have wiped down much of the veneer and have also wiped down a door or two with no problem, nothing soaking wet.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #67

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey
Where do people store their jackets? I guess if you come in from the rain they can hang in the bathroom (though that's awkward if somebody needs to use it). There doesn't seem to be a good place to store a couple of jackets that won't be in the way.
We have a plastic hook rack that hangs on the bathroom door with the hooks hanging outside the bathroom. We also use suction cup plastic hooks on the exterior of the trailer under the awning to hang jackets, towels, swimsuits, hats, etc. It works particularly well for things that are bulky that we don't want sticking out into the interior walkway & things that are wet/damp. We also put a couple on the other side to hang a couple of towels near the exterior shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Outside Suction Cups with Hooks #2.jpg   Outside Suction Cups with Hooks #1.jpg  

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #68

Installed a teak floor in the bath/shower area, seems more hygienic and suitable than rugs as dirt/debris can easily be swept off and disappear between the slats.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0306.JPG   DSCN0307.JPG  
Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #69

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'

Jim,

I've been watching your posts and know you to be somewhat of a perfectionist...what about that narrow gap between the 5th and 6th boards from the left??...

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:19 AM   #70

that was a mistake, something you will not do when you do yours!! It is where the two separate pieces join, also note the different wood stain, from 2 different batches. Cloes enuf for gov't work was what we used to say
When do you get your 19' Steve?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #71

I kid you because we are very much alike. The mod is very nice! My 19' Escape will be delivered around the 18th of this month. I wish I could go get it personally but just can't. It is loaded with lots of options including solar, wiring for an inverter, extra windows, insulation, ++++ flooring we specified and fabric we sent for the cushions. We learned a lot about what we ordered by following this forum. Thanks to everyone for your great ideas! We already booked a camping week over Thanksgiving at Pismo Beach in California and don't even have the trailer yet. How is that for being excited??!!

Steve
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #72

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape

Hi Steve...another newbie here....you said wiring for an inverter...what's that

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #73

Janet: an inverter converts the 12v DC power from your battery to 120v AC like your house power. It's useful when you want to run a normal appliance but aren't hooked up to shore power. But, good ones are moderately expensive and trying to run too much off your battery will kill it quickly so they aren't for everybody.

Steve: could you share some details on your flooring? I'm curious what options you considered, and what feedback you got from Reace.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #74

Hi Janet! I had the primary wiring for a 1200 watt inverter pulled in from the battery so I can hook it up later. I already had the inverter. I figured it was better to have that wire pulled while the trailer was being constructed. I plan to run three outlets from the inverter; one under the dinette, one to the kitchen area and one inside the exterior access door. The inverter is big enough to run a bee-hive blender to grind ice cubes for frozen margaritas when boon-docking. I do know my priorities! Before anyone asks where the ice cubes came from, I will always make a run for ice when frozen margaritas can be had. With the ordered solar system the sun will replenish the "making margaritas" energy to the batteries. Gotta love Mother Nature!

The flooring, counter top and fabric were selected by my wife and I by visiting several brick and mortar outfits locally. The flooring is Armstrong "Memories" X6522 and looks like 4 or 5 different sizes of rectangular stones set in mortar. It all goes together... We purchased the fabric and sent it to Escape, ordered the flooring from a hardware store in Chilliwack to be delivered there and found the counter top selection is the stock setup in the trailer already.

Tammy told me today it should arrive in 11 or 12 days...on the 14th or 15th. We're pretty excited.

Steve
Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #75

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Jim, the teak looks good. We rarely use our shower, but did a couple times on this last trip, and there is always a bit of water left on the floor. We do wipe our with a chamois after using it, but this would be a nice finishing touch. I assume it is easy to lift out.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #76

yes it just lays on floor but I cut it tight so there is no play or wiggle room. the floor sits on rubber feet, no scratches either.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #77

Re: Planned modifications for my 19'- radio install

Today I installed a Jensen all weather am/fm/wb/ipod radio found here http://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jense...-wb-radio.html
I installed an extra 12v outlet next to the curb side dinette oh light for this as well as other 12v accessories. I purchased a led pushbutton 12v lighter switch for ease of power on/off being closer to aisle. Speakers are on the overhead shelf held by stickum tape. Antenna is next to radio. These radios are made to be mounted on motorcycles so they are waterproof and heady duty.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0317.JPG   DSCN0318.JPG  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #78

two more photos, speakers are hidden from view and tiny antenna- weatherband will come on automatically and there are options to change display color and intensity, also if powered off the radio maintains settings for up to 14 days.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0319.JPG   DSCN0320.JPG  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #79

I installed an extra grab handle right inside the door. I found while exiting I was grabbing the trim piece, leaving hand prints. Now the hand prints are all in one place. I reinforced the trim piece with a spacer and screw, really secure now.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0321.JPG   DSCN0322.JPG  
Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #80

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

What are you going to do with yourself when it's all done?

baglo