storage in medicine cabinet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
storage in medicine cabinet

I am looking for ideas for storage in the medicine cabinet. In our new 2017 Escape 21, it has what is basically a residential grade medicine cabinet with mirror on the front. I do not know what they are putting in the other models.

The problem is that anything stored in there is subject to falling out the first time you open it after travel.

My first idea is to string cargo netting, bungee netting, of some sort across the front of each shelf. Drill holes into the sides of the cabinet to fasten the netting. Perhaps 3 to 4 inches high, stretchy. Goes full length side to side. White preferable.

I have not found a source for such a material.

So, either a source for 3-4inch tall white bungee netting or other ideas on how to hold all the items into the medicine cabinet. I am aware of the RV Widget Works vertical dividers and may do that as well to keep stuff moving side to side.

discuss...
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:59 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If I can describe it...

My Escape has no medicine cabinet but I had one in my previous non fiberglass trailer. I drilled holes for what was roughly a 3/16" hardwood dowel so I could run a dowel across about 1 1/2" up from each (2) shelf right towards the front. I then poked the dowel in one side as far as it'd go and marked the other side just a little longer, maybe 3/16", then what was needed to go across. Cut the dowels, put one side in as far as it'd go, bent the dowel enough to get the other end in it's hole. This let the dowel stretched across keeping items on the shelf. As it was a smidgen longer then the span it would not fall out.

I have no idea if this would work on the Escapes cabinet as I've never seen one but you could come up with similar using small glued in blocks on either side with the holes drilled in those instead of the actual cabinet sides.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I purchased 3 of the small 2x6 plastic bins at $ store and place items inside the bins. the door keeps the bins inside and put when opening.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
I got a couple bins from the container store (Like-it Bricks Narrow Bins) for the top & bottom shelf and then cut down a small tension rod for the middle shelf; altho am thinking of trying the taller version of the brick-it for the middle shelf also. Works pretty good at this point.
Judy
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I am looking for ideas for storage in the medicine cabinet. In our new 2017 Escape 21, it has what is basically a residential grade medicine cabinet with mirror on the front. I do not know what they are putting in the other models.

The problem is that anything stored in there is subject to falling out the first time you open it after travel.

My first idea is to string cargo netting, bungee netting, of some sort across the front of each shelf. Drill holes into the sides of the cabinet to fasten the netting. Perhaps 3 to 4 inches high, stretchy. Goes full length side to side. White preferable.

I have not found a source for such a material.

So, either a source for 3-4inch tall white bungee netting or other ideas on how to hold all the items into the medicine cabinet. I am aware of the RV Widget Works vertical dividers and may do that as well to keep stuff moving side to side.

discuss...
You could buy yourself a nylon minnow net in White. Or may be just a piece of netting from Jann's Netcraft. It’s strong and light.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I retrofitted a medicine cabinet, but my solution is small bungee cords to retain items. Works very well, easily removed if needed and it doesn’t protrude on usable shelf space like a dowel.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tml#post190247
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I retrofitted a medicine cabinet, but my solution is small bungee cords to retain items. Works very well, easily removed if needed and it doesn’t protrude on usable shelf space like a dowel.

For me that led to a topic no related? Check your link, I would like to see it.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Not sure what happened. That should be the right link. Here are the pictures that I had on that thread. These are simply small bungee cords with metal ends bent to 90 degrees and inserted into small holes drilled into side of cabinet.
Attached Images

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
RV medicine cabinet | www.trailerlife.com
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I retrofitted a medicine cabinet...
Quote:
Quote:
That should be the right link. Here are the pictures that I had on that thread...
The link is fine, at least now: same pictures.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #11

Yes, the link works fine for me, on my computer. On the Tapatalk app on iPad, it linked to something else. Weird.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I put a length of 1/2x3/4 angle aluminum, with the 1/2 vertical, across the bottom front of each shelf with VHB tape to hold things on the shelf. For the taller opening I drilled two 3/16 holes on either side around 30% and 55% of the way up from the bottom of the shelf and then ran a loop of 3/16 bungee cord through the holes and knotted it outside the cabinet where it is hidden from view. Very clean and functional for us. I'll try to post a photo when I get back to our TT.

The bungee and aluminum are available at most hardware stores. Play with the tightness of the bungee a bit before you call it good. It only takes a little stretch to hold things in place and you don't want it to warp the cabinet over time by being too tight.

We also learned on our first trip before we did this mod to be sure the toilet lid was closed when we first open the cabinet after traveling... A practice we still do.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:28 AM   #13

Thanks for all replies. Not only is this useful me, but others may stumble across this thread in the future.

Thanks to Iowa Dave, we all now know about Jann's Netcraft. I have ordered some of two kinds of netting. Don't know which is most suitable.

I'm now thinking it might be like:
- angle bar across the bottom like Doug & Betty
- bungee cord across the middle area into holes in the sides
- the netting stretched from the angle bar at the bottom, laced up by the bungee cord
- vertical dividers from RV Widget Works
- always close the toilet before opening

That way I can put tall items like lotion bottles in the main section and they won't move side to side or tip forward. And small items like chapstick, nail clippers, small pill bottles and tubes behind the netting, so they can't slide out underneath.

I'll report back with photos once I get it configured.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:05 PM   #14

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
(snip) I am aware of the RV Widget Works vertical dividers and may do that as well to keep stuff moving side to side.
I have them in my cabinet. I like how they keep things separated inside the cabinet. However, in using it, I wish I had thought to tell Charlie to make them not as deep so I would have had room to hook a bungee cord or one of those spring loaded bar thingies. Stuff does fall out when I open the door. I'm aware it'll happen, so I open the door slowly with my hand up there and make sure the toilet lid is down (which it should be anyway!).

I've thought about asking if Dirk can dremel a notch out so I can put something across to keep things in place. Yet one more thing on his to-do list that he doesn't know about. I also don't know if there's enough room to install it without cutting a notch - something to check out one of these days.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:07 PM   #15

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
And small items like chapstick, nail clippers, small pill bottles and tubes behind the netting, so they can't slide out underneath.
Small stuff like this goes in my drawer topper from Charlie (RV Widgets) that's in the top drawer at the foot of the bed. Much easier getting to them there than in the bathroom anyway.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:42 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21 replaced Casita
Try these expansion bars. I used them in my medicine cabinet. They also have longer ones that are useful elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-18-2017, 07:03 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I used those expansion bars in my can cupboard ( the shallow one over the axle ).
Might hold light items in place, but it also reduces the depth in an already shallow cupboard.
Attached Thumbnails
barred - 1.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Saw these bamboo drawer organizers today and thought they might work for the medicine cabinets, but not sure since we don’t have one. Really nice looking item available in many sizes.
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...er%20organizer
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I too use the round, white expansion bars and they work well. They r the ones made for use in a refrigerator. And they r easy and inexpensive.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:56 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17-B
Medicine Cabinet Mod

In order to keep my "stuff" in the cabinet I pop riveted two lengths of Aluminum Flat 1/16 x 3/4 (available from your neighborhood hardware store or big box building supply). I cut two lengths of aluminum flat the width of the cabinet and pre-drilled holes in each end sized to accommodate 1/8 x 1/4 aluminum pop rivets. I then located each flat an appropriate distance above the two upper shelves and drilled into the plastic rim of the cabinet for the rivets; and then pop riveted them on. I did not do the bottom shelf because the cabinet hinge is in the way. A white plastic tray from Dollar Tree (3 for a dollar) works for me on the bottom shelf. If anyone can tell me how to import a picture from my iPhone or from my iMac to this post, I will do that. A picture would make everything much clearer, but I haven't been able to figure out how to do the import thing.
Rick G.

IMG_1133.JPG
rlg303 is offline   Reply With Quote