storage in medicine cabinet - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
storage in medicine cabinet

I am looking for ideas for storage in the medicine cabinet. In our new 2017 Escape 21, it has what is basically a residential grade medicine cabinet with mirror on the front. I do not know what they are putting in the other models.

The problem is that anything stored in there is subject to falling out the first time you open it after travel.

My first idea is to string cargo netting, bungee netting, of some sort across the front of each shelf. Drill holes into the sides of the cabinet to fasten the netting. Perhaps 3 to 4 inches high, stretchy. Goes full length side to side. White preferable.

I have not found a source for such a material.

So, either a source for 3-4inch tall white bungee netting or other ideas on how to hold all the items into the medicine cabinet. I am aware of the RV Widget Works vertical dividers and may do that as well to keep stuff moving side to side.

discuss...

jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
If I can describe it...

My Escape has no medicine cabinet but I had one in my previous non fiberglass trailer. I drilled holes for what was roughly a 3/16" hardwood dowel so I could run a dowel across about 1 1/2" up from each (2) shelf right towards the front. I then poked the dowel in one side as far as it'd go and marked the other side just a little longer, maybe 3/16", then what was needed to go across. Cut the dowels, put one side in as far as it'd go, bent the dowel enough to get the other end in it's hole. This let the dowel stretched across keeping items on the shelf. As it was a smidgen longer then the span it would not fall out.

I have no idea if this would work on the Escapes cabinet as I've never seen one but you could come up with similar using small glued in blocks on either side with the holes drilled in those instead of the actual cabinet sides.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I purchased 3 of the small 2x6 plastic bins at $ store and place items inside the bins. the door keeps the bins inside and put when opening.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Feb 2017 5.0TA "Cackleberry" - 2016 Chevy Silverado
I got a couple bins from the container store (Like-it Bricks Narrow Bins) for the top & bottom shelf and then cut down a small tension rod for the middle shelf; altho am thinking of trying the taller version of the brick-it for the middle shelf also. Works pretty good at this point.
Judy
jensworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
[QUOTE=jking1224;228938]I am looking for ideas for storage in the medicine cabinet. In our new 2017 Escape 21, it has what is basically a residential grade medicine cabinet with mirror on the front. I do not know what they are putting in the other models.

The problem is that anything stored in there is subject to falling out the first time you open it after travel.

My first idea is to string cargo netting, bungee netting, of some sort across the front of each shelf. Drill holes into the sides of the cabinet to fasten the netting. Perhaps 3 to 4 inches high, stretchy. Goes full length side to side. White preferable.

I have not found a source for such a material.

So, either a source for 3-4inch tall white bungee netting or other ideas on how to hold all the items into the medicine cabinet. I am aware of the RV Widget Works vertical dividers and may do that as well to keep stuff moving side to side.

discuss...[/QUOTE
You could buy yourself a nylon minnow net in White. Or may be just a piece of netting from Jann's Netcraft. It’s strong and light.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I retrofitted a medicine cabinet, but my solution is small bungee cords to retain items. Works very well, easily removed if needed and it doesn’t protrude on usable shelf space like a dowel.

Bathroom Medicine Cabinet Retrofit
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I retrofitted a medicine cabinet, but my solution is small bungee cords to retain items. Works very well, easily removed if needed and it doesn’t protrude on usable shelf space like a dowel.

For me that led to a topic no related? Check your link, I would like to see it.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
Not sure what happened. That should be the right link. Here are the pictures that I had on that thread. These are simply small bungee cords with metal ends bent to 90 degrees and inserted into small holes drilled into side of cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D057183C-ABBE-4818-A648-11BDB52522A0.jpeg (18.9 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpeg 252A25CD-F41C-4A89-B18A-B750F5C5BF3A.jpeg (14.3 KB, 228 views)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
RV medicine cabinet | www.trailerlife.com
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I retrofitted a medicine cabinet...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
Quote:
That should be the right link. Here are the pictures that I had on that thread...
The link is fine, at least now: same pictures.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote