Storage solutions for 19' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 E19
Storage solutions for 19'

Hi all

I'm looking for storage solutions for my 19' for the wardrobe and under the bed. I'm visual, so please post pics if you have them.

I'm not sure to go with keeping it a closet and adding plastic organizers or get built in shelves. Perhaps some slide out Elfa shelves?

Also don't want to have to crawl under the bed space to get anything. So I'm looking for a slide out solution that works well.

Thanks in advance!
azutco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Here's a good thread that addresses your questions: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...html#post20365
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:35 PM   #3
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
I, too, am looking at storage ideas. I have book-marked this site but haven't purchased anything yet. Kind of pricey, but I think for the ease of pulling things out on a daily basis, it may be well worth it!

What I love about Bret's storage is that is would go all the way to the rear of the trailer. Unfortunately, we aren't handy in that way....

Shelves That Slide Tall Boy 9 7/8"

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #4

Donna, thanks for the link, lots of nice pics there.

Lorna, I know what you mean, I am going to have to pay someone to install one, but I think it will be worth it to not have to crawl under the bed to get things
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I use 2 Sterilite 66 quart Ultimate Storage Boxes under the bed. I take off the front wheels and leave the rear wheels on. One on right for frequently used items. (my cookware) On the left is lesser used items such as extra hose, power cord, etc. You need to take right box out to have easy access to left box. Leave something between box and access door to keep box from moving out to aisle when moving. (I use a Ss thermos)
Old 05-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

I like that idea kstock! I'll have to try it
Old 07-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I too found that Tall Boy from Shelves That Slide, but didn't want to spend $170 after shipping. Decided to fabricate my own box that will slide out from under the bed. I'm certainly no carpenter, but it will do the job. Disassembled an old collapsible book shelf system for most of the pieces. The open areas save a ton of weight. Even with a 1/2" plywood bottom and the mostly solid front it is under 20 lbs. The holes in the front are to grab the drawer to open as the height will take up most of the space and it would be awkward to have to grab the upper edge. This will be attached to the floor under the bed with Blum 430E full extension slides (75 lb. capacity) and Universal bracket (see image). I'll post a follow-up once mounted.

We have a Clam Escape XL enclosure and welded bunk poles that go through the passenger side hatch and angle towards the drivers side rear corner. Need to maintain that space. The box dimensions are 24"W x 23"L x 10"H. This is big enough to be useful, yet small enough to be able to lean over the drawer to access all items. Drawer will be easily removable off the slide for access to water heater bypass and winterizing tee valve.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1629.jpg   IMG_1630.JPG  
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 PM   #8

Slides are on and ready to mount. Does anyone happen to know how deep screws can go into the raised floor under the bed in the 19 without an issue? Only planning to use 1/2" screws, but I'm assuming the area is raised to accommodate the fresh water tank. Haven't been able to take a close look at the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1649.jpg   IMG_1650.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Slides are on and ready to mount. ...
Dave, There are some on this forum who will no doubt point out that you will experience problems storing cold beer on ice in that under-bed container. But I won't....
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Does anyone happen to know how deep screws can go into the raised floor under the bed in the 19 without an issue? Only planning to use 1/2" screws, but I'm assuming the area is raised to accommodate the fresh water tank. Haven't been able to take a close look at the trailer.
The floor is raised, following the step up in the frame. Although I think the original reason for the step was for departure angle clearance rather than tank space, the fresh water tank is under there, against the floor at the front of the stepped-up area. Although the tank is much smaller than the bed (dinette in other models), screws over the tank need to be shorter than the total of the bracket, floor covering, plywood, and fiberglass shell... and I wouldn't want to puncture the shell with a screw point even where there is nothing under the floor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Slides are on and ready to mount. Does anyone happen to know how deep screws can go into the raised floor under the bed in the 19 without an issue? Only planning to use 1/2" screws, but I'm assuming the area is raised to accommodate the fresh water tank. Haven't been able to take a close look at the trailer.
Hi Dave what I did was glue down blocks of wood with construction adhesive . That is what I screwed into . Didn't want to take a chance and hitting the water tank . No one could give me a definite answer at factory on what screw to use so ..... Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:40 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Dave what I did was glue down blocks of wood with construction adhesive . That is what I screwed into . Didn't want to take a chance and hitting the water tank . No one could give me a definite answer at factory on what screw to use so ..... Pat
Me again Dave I also used the framing Escape has in front of water heater etc. I did a little different dividing the under bed storage into 2 . We wanted a laundry box on one side . Tables etc. on other side . We have a ply walls separating outside storage door and other side to separate the appliances. Mainly it was to contain the cord until it didn't work any longer because it started getting stiff and tangling . Then I changed to detachable Smart Plug system . I just never drilled into floor . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19 (TV: 2007 Chevy Tahoe)
Be sure you have a means to lock that drawer in position when traveling. I found the drawers I put in would slide out when traveling. Not a good thing.
Gary
pkgman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thanks Pat.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
Be sure you have a means to lock that drawer in position when traveling. I found the drawers I put in would slide out when traveling. Not a good thing.
Gary
Yes, thanks. I have been thinking about this. There are detents built into the slides and some friction, but it still might not be enough under a hard stop. I will install and then figure out a way to lock it in position.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:
ETI told me the floor is 1/2" thick in that area. You shouldn't have any problems using a 1/2" screw; I didn't when I installed my drawer brackets.
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
ETI told me the floor is 1/2" thick in that area. You shouldn't have any problems using a 1/2" screw; I didn't when I installed my drawer brackets.
Thank you very much for the info.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Dave, There are some on this forum who will no doubt point out that you will experience problems storing cold beer on ice in that under-bed container. But I won't....
True. Guess a plastic tub that fits inside would work in a pinch and if I really want a party the Stowaway cargo box on the back hitch will work. Already has a drain plug!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:22 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and the front storage box has drain holes, would make a great cooler filled with ice....
Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
We went the Sterlite route and so far so good. Minimum investment, no moisture issues, easy to clean and if we decide to do something different in the future I can always find another use for them.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote