Voltage Regulator on Fridge - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Voltage Regulator on Fridge

I need some help from those of you with electrical skills beyond mine. I’ve purchased a 6A 12V voltage regulator that I want to install to protect my Dometic fridge’s circuit board.

IMG_0534.jpg

As discussed at length in a couple of other threads, the reasoning behind this is that voltage from solar can, at times, exceed the fridge’s input voltage range.

So I have two specific questions that I need help with.

1. Is this the right place to splice in the hot wires of the regulator? (Pictures zoom in to the wire I believe is correct)
IMG_0530.jpgIMG_0531.jpgIMG_0533.jpg

2. Where do I splice in the negative wires from the regulator? This pic shows where both all the negatives in the back seem to end up, on ring terminals. Do I just wire both the negative in and negative out to this same post?
IMG_0532.jpg

Much thanks in advance!

Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #2

Trailer: None now
If you have the RM2554 fridge you should be fine without the voltage regulator.

According to the service manual it is good from 9.6v to 18v DC and can tolerate up to 22v. Page 10 in the link has the voltages.

https://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf

The one I would worry more about is the maxxfan with the remote.
Maxxfan Problems

wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Since I'm getting the "no longer offered deluxe MaxxFan" in my new Escape, bring that regulator to the Rally and I may make you an offer you can't refuse.........
Old 01-26-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Since I'm getting the "no longer offered deluxe MaxxFan" in my new Escape, bring that regulator to the Rally and I may make you an offer you can't refuse.........
Another to pay attention to is the water heater,
For the suburban SW6 series , looks like 10.5 to 13.5v per page 10 in this manual.
I added a 5amp buck boost to mine.

http://docs.renegaderv.com/Suburban/...2005-18-11.pdf
Old 01-26-2019, 09:18 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
So far there has not been any issue with the propane only water heater, just the 120v operation when empty.........oops.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #6

Quote:
So far there has not been any issue with the propane only water heater, just the 120v operation when empty.........oops.

I thought about reinstalling the Dinosaur board I bought when the original board failed as it has built in voltage regulation.
Suburban sent me a new board to replace the bad Fenwal board and so far it has not had any issues. I do know it does not have voltage regulation on it so I added the regulator just in case.

Edit. Who is able to find the voltage requirements for the electric awning and heaters? So far I have not found anything on either. I emailed both companies asking what the dc voltage limits were and they never responded.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
If you have the RM2554 fridge you should be fine without the voltage regulator.

According to the service manual it is good from 9.6v to 18v DC and can tolerate up to 22v. Page 10 in the link has the voltages.

https://www.fourwh.com/NewDometicRefrigeratorManual.pdf
I had to look for the voltage limits in the Dometic manual you referenced. Here is what I found:
"The operational range of the unit is a minimum of 9.6V DC to a maximum of
22V DC. The unit will automatically shut down until voltage has decreased to 18V DC. The refrigerator requires at least 9.6V DC for proper operation; however the panel lights will continue to illuminate until voltage has dropped to 4V DC or below. "

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
The one I would worry more about is the maxxfan with the remote.
Maxxfan Problems
I have a new Maxxfan control board on order. (Maxxfan 10-21275K-V3.9) I can positively state that they do not like anything over 14.4 volts. I will be installing a voltage stabilizer in the fan before the new board is installed. The voltage stabilizer I am installing is:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It small enough to fit in a corner of the fan housing. I'll post install pics when done.

This over voltage issue is getting serious. I'm a little pissed that Escape changed the Maxxfan model and the LED lighting that they install because of the failure rates and said nothing to those of us that own them. How many of us have seen the water heater control board, the LED lights, and the Maxxfan control boards fail not knowing that the failures were due to the battery voltage being too high.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - since 1/9/2017
Quote:
Actually, I know of several people that have had the Suburban Ignition Control Circuit Board 520814 fail. We can now guess the probable reason.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
This over voltage issue is getting serious. I'm a little pissed that Escape changed the Maxxfan model and the LED lighting that they install because of the failure rates and said nothing to those of us that own them.

Did you notice the manufacturer of the lights upgraded them? LED dome lights
Old 01-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I had to look for the voltage limits in the Dometic manual you referenced. Here is what I found:
"The operational range of the unit is a minimum of 9.6V DC to a maximum of
22V DC. The unit will automatically shut down until voltage has decreased to 18V DC. The refrigerator requires at least 9.6V DC for proper operation; however the panel lights will continue to illuminate until voltage has dropped to 4V DC or below. "

Well, that’s a relief. I was going off the appendix in the back of the RM2554 operating instructions manual, which lists DC voltage specification range of 9.5-15V. Why the discrepancy though?