Wilson Antenna Parts arrived - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Just an update. The Sleek Cradle wasn't installed by ETI. They're a bit reluctant to do any hard wiring of 12 v devices they don't sell and that's understandable. At Reace's suggestion, I stopped at a Radio Shack in Gresham OR yesterday and picked up a 12v socket with a wire pigtail coming off the back. Wired it up to the 12v drop in the overhead cabinet and connected it to the sleek using the 12v plug/usb cable supplied with the cradle. Works perfectly. Went from 1 bar on the hotspot to 4 bars here at Ainsworth SP. Oh, and by the way, the little adapter to connect the cradle to the Wilson antenna cable wasn't needed. The trucker antenna simply screws in to the base of sleek without an adapter.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Just an update. The Sleek Cradle wasn't installed by ETI. They're a bit reluctant to do any hard wiring of 12 v devices they don't sell and that's understandable. At Reace's suggestion, I stopped at a Radio Shack in Gresham OR yesterday and picked up a 12v socket with a wire pigtail coming off the back. Wired it up to the 12v drop in the overhead cabinet and connected it to the sleek using the 12v plug/usb cable supplied with the cradle. Works perfectly. Went from 1 bar on the hotspot to 4 bars here at Ainsworth SP. Oh, and by the way, the little adapter to connect the cradle to the Wilson antenna cable wasn't needed. The trucker antenna simply screws in to the base of sleek without an adapter.
They must make a bunch of different connectors on their "Trucker" antenna. I know there are a couple of different part numbers for the antenna. Both my original & the replacement I purchased at Amazon required an adapter.

Don't know if it is the Sleek that is different or the antenna, but I'm in the process of replacing the trucker antenna with a marine antenna, and it has the same connector as the Wilson trucker antennas - i.e. I need the adapter.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
They must make a bunch of different connectors on their "Trucker" antenna. I know there are a couple of different part numbers for the antenna. Both my original & the replacement I purchased at Amazon required an adapter.

Don't know if it is the Sleek that is different or the antenna, but I'm in the process of replacing the trucker antenna with a marine antenna, and it has the same connector as the Wilson trucker antennas - i.e. I need the adapter.
Yeah, that's probably right Jon. Different part numbers, different connections. This cradle had the "tiny" coax connector and so did the antenna cable.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:57 AM   #24

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Anyone using this setup wth a Verizon 6220 Mifi unit?
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd47 View Post
Anyone using this setup wth a Verizon 6220 Mifi unit?
Mine's an MHS291LVW, but the sleek cradle would work with the 6620L. Works with just about any 3G/4G device.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2005 T@B Moving to 21' Escape
Thanks Ryan. I see the picture of the antenna and cradle at the start of this thread, is there a part list somewhere on the forum? I want to have this installed a a 21' when it is built (at least the antenna as I understand it I have to do the actual cradle connections). Will have solar so good to see that works out per ths thread.
slloyd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Would be very interested in what folks get for throughput with a hotspot. Have DSL at home and get just over 1Mb outbound and maybe .25Mb inbound.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #28

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Would be very interested in what folks get for throughput with a hotspot. Have DSL at home and get just over 1Mb outbound and maybe .25Mb inbound.
There are so many variables that you can't make a direct comparison. The best I've had with a Verizon MHS291LVW was 35Mb down & 6Mb up, however it is usually slower than that. Typical over my travels on 4G LTE had been around 5-6Mb down & 2-3 up, less on 3G.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:46 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Yes. I am using a directional Wilson antenna with the Sleek and Novatel 6620L on a mast when camping. At Seminole Canyon State Park in Texas, a remote area, I was able to get two bars of 4G service and use the internet in my trailer. I have no idea what tower I was hitting; one of the park staff told me that AT&T was the default provider in the area and he didn't think Verizon service was available. So it worked for me. Now--- Big Bend is a different story...
Old 03-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #30

Wilson Antenna Parts arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by slloyd47 View Post
Thanks Ryan. I see the picture of the antenna and cradle at the start of this thread, is there a part list somewhere on the forum? I want to have this installed a a 21' when it is built (at least the antenna as I understand it I have to do the actual cradle connections). Will have solar so good to see that works out per ths thread.

Mine is a Wilson 311119 antenna (roof mount) and a Wilson 4g Sleek. You can find them on Amazon but I got them cheaper through another site. Just do a google search.