19 tire pressure - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
19 tire pressure

This morning, we headed out on a short 3 day trip to make sure all is well before we head out for the entire month of July. Trying my best to be diligent, I checked the tire pressure before pulling out.

Since suffer from OA/CRS, I couldn't remember the correct tire pressure. I'm remembering that at orientation, they said 55 PSI. I checked the manual and it pointed me to get the pressure off of the tire. The tire says max pressure is 65 so that's what I set them to.

What's the correct pressure?

Thanks,

Dan

PS:. OA (Old Age). CRS (Can't Remember Sh#@)

Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 “Lilly”
Oh boy, tire pressure is one of those questions that generates a range of highly opinionated and vociferous answers, much like what you’ll get to “What’s the best tug for a <insert trailer model here> trailer?”

My own moderately opinionated answer is inflate to the max pressure indicated on the tire, unless this produces a too-bouncy ride. My reasoning is that tires’ maximum load rating is when inflated to maximum pressure, so reduced pressure equals reduced load capacity. Higher pressure also affects tread wear and tire performance. Note that my “max is best” position only applies to trailers and not passenger vehicles. The rules there are different, mostly due to adverse impacts to handling at too high pressures.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
I agree, it's one of those topics. I guess I should have asked if anyone remembers what ETI says TP should be set to.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
On all my trailers (down to 3 right now) I have always ran ST tires inflated to max pressure. My tire shop manager suggests this. Nothing wrong has ever happened doing so. The ride is much better too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
a tires maximum pressure is for the maximum load that tire supports. the correct pressure for the tire is based on the maximum axle load divided by 2, and is the manufacturer's recommended pressure, this is true for all tire brands and types of the same or similar sizes.

the high load range tires, like "E" can hold more pressure in order to support more weight. at 50PSI they hold the same as a load range "C" at 50psi.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
This morning, we headed out on a short 3 day trip to make sure all is well before we head out for the entire month of July. Trying my best to be diligent, I checked the tire pressure before pulling out.

Since suffer from OA/CRS, I couldn't remember the correct tire pressure. I'm remembering that at orientation, they said 55 PSI. I checked the manual and it pointed me to get the pressure off of the tire. The tire says max pressure is 65 so that's what I set them to.

What's the correct pressure?

Our 2018 19 came with Rainier ST tires in load range D which is 65psi max. The VIN plate on the trailer has 50psi for the tires which is the max pressure for range C tires. I emailed ETI and received an email from Reace in which he said they still recommend 50psi even for the D tires because the load is not heavy enough to warrant the higher pressure and harder tires. So... I will follow the manufacturer's recommendation.
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19 “Lilly”
Which manufacturer, trailer or tire?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
Typically the trailer/vehicle manufacturer is the one to follow, assuming they are within specs of the tires. The sidewall pressure is maximum tire pressure and required to get maximum load capacity. If the trailer weight is under the maximum tire load capacity then a lower pressure can be used to soften the ride. The pressure/load tables are usually provided by the tire manufacturers.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trail...nflation-chart
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post

I'm going with Reace's recommendation which is also what is on the VIN plate (giving the benefit of the doubt that ETI knows what is best for its product).

I do not see the load getting so high that the additional pressure would be needed. That being said - the trailer is new to me and I will see how this goes and adjust based on my observations (i.e. is 50psi too soft, 55psi better, tread wear, etc.).
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #10

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I split the difference.
55lbs