AFSAD12 Heater Problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
AFSAD12 Heater Problem

Ever since I picked up my 21 on 9/11/15 the Atwood AFSAD12 heater has not worked properly. Initially I was having trouble with the standard thermostat as well but after getting that sorted out the heater still does not function all the time.

It'll come on once and produce heat without issue. But after the next call for heat the unit emits a faint buzzing/hum noise, the fan never comes on and the diagnostic LED blinks once every three seconds. Atwood documentation indicates this is a "Limit Switch/Airflow" problem.

Since the fan never comes on I'm thinking it's not an airflow problem (which would likely be caused by a sail switch problem) but it looks like the limit switch and sail switch are wired in series (see attached diagram) so I don't want to automatically rule out the sail switch.

Anybody know what purpose the limit switch serves and what type of switch it is? It looks like the wiring diagram shows the limit switch is normally closed (N.C.) and the sail switch is normally open (N.O.).

If the sail switch for some reason stays closed after one heat cycle will it prevent the fan from coming on again if it's closed when the heater starts another cycle?

Also I spoke with somebody at the fall NOG whom was having trouble with their new 21 AFSAD12 heater but I don't remember who it was. Their symptom sounded more like a sail switch issue as they were always getting fan but no ignition. I'd be interested in hearing more of their issue and/or how they ultimately got it resolved.
Attached Thumbnails
AtwoodAFSAD12heaterPg7.PNG  
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The furnace would be under warranty.
I would take the trailer to an authorized service centre near you and have them fix it to maintain your warranty.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The sail switch needs to be in the open position. At the end of a heating cycle the sail switch needs to return to the open position to reset the control board so the furnace can start another cycle.
If the sail switch sticks in the on position after a heating cycle the furnace control board will sense that the sail switch is in the wrong position (ON) and will not let the furnace start. This is a necessary safety procedure to insure that the furnace goes through its proper purge cycle before firing . On many heating devices there are redundant safeties such as dual temperature hi limits ,gas valves ,proof of air flow ,stack dampers ,to insure that no one safety switch is defective , and lead to a possible explosion or monoxide issues.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We had another 21 at Quartzsite that had just picked up in late November and the Heater has never worked. I think we all looked at it and no clue. I recommended the fellow call it in to ETI and get it serviced if they can't figure it out over the phone.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
1. ALL RV NEEDS
3800 S. PACIFIC HWY
MEDFORD, OR 97501
541-535-6113
Email
Directions (0 miles away)
2. TRIPLE A RV CENTER
938 CHEVY WAY
MEDFORD, OR 97504
Email Visit Website
Directions (7.6 miles away)
Old 06-19-2016, 05:07 PM   #6
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Official resolution to the problem was replacement of the ignition control board in the furnace.

Escape didn't have any furnace troubleshooting suggestions but were helpful with the thermostat.

I did inquire with Escape why they plumb the gas line directly across the front of the furnace making furnace removal difficult. Their response was "a certified Atwood furnace technician will know how to handle the situation". The tech that did the work complained of it and said he had to carefully bend the line out of the way and bend it back. That worried me as I'd think the line may either kink and/or create a weak point.

I was hoping bringing the issue to Escape's attention may make them think twice before continuing to route the line directly across the front of the furnace.
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 2015 21'
It have a problem with my furnace on my 2015 21’ Escape.also. Fan turns on the igniter attempts to Ignite about 3 times then it shuts down.
Paceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you are sure you have gas, the stove lights, it may be the sail switch. I don't recall if they would light for a second then go out, or not light at all.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

No there is gas, I am thinking is is the sail switch also
Old 10-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Can you see the ignition control board LED? If you look at the diagnostic codes on page 7 of the manual it may help with troubleshooting.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...l-Furnaces.pdf
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Can you see the ignition control board LED? If you look at the diagnostic codes on page 7 of the manual it may help with troubleshooting.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/ass...l-Furnaces.pdf
Hi all I just bought this trailer from Grant & Kathy in Bandon Oregon.
No I have not looked at the lights yet long drive back to Langley BC drive lag, just having some espresso now then going to the trailer.
Where are the lights located?
Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM   #12

Unfortunately it appears the control board with LED is at the rear of the furnace. ETI does not install these furnaces with the larger exterior service door. I believe this means the furnace needs to be pulled to access, but that isn't very helpful unless you can maintain power during removal so the LED is actually still able to tell you what might be wrong.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #13

Say what really pull the unit out not very user friendly that’s for sure.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceman View Post
Say what really pull the unit out not very user friendly that’s for sure.
I have the older Atwood Everest Star 8012-II furnace. What I described above appears to be the case for the newer AFSAD12 model. Not sure when they changed over. You posted to a thread with the newer model but never stated specifically what you have. If you have the newer model maybe someone that has it can weigh in.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #15

Just tried it on 12v no go make sure it is on auto mod.
On inverter now it works. Going to try a few more times on and off
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
I have the older Atwood Everest Star 8012-II furnace. What I described above appears to be the case for the newer AFSAD12 model. Not sure when they changed over. You posted to a thread with the newer model but never stated specifically what you have. If you have the newer model maybe someone that has it can weigh in.
Dave on the 2013 we have the same furnace Everest 8012 . Are you saying there is a led at back or is it on the new furnace . Just want to clarify in case . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Dave on the 2013 we have the same furnace Everest 8012 . Are you saying there is a led at back or is it on the new furnace . Just want to clarify in case . Pat
Pat: On the older furnace the ignition control board should be accessible from the front. I've been in there, but not specifically to access the board. See #2 on the attached exploded view. In the picture you can partially see the board behind the panel on the front lower right.
Attached Thumbnails
Atwood 8012-II.JPG   atwood 8012-II shot from front.JPG  
Old 10-09-2017, 02:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Pat: On the older furnace the ignition control board should be accessible from the front. I've been in there, but not specifically to access the board. See #2 on the attached exploded view. In the picture you can partially see the board behind the panel on the front lower right.
Thanks Dave ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote