Bathroom fan not working - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Oiling motor shafts

My bathroom fan just stopped running. I took out the screen and found when I pushed the fan blades a little it started turning again. I thought it may be something was jamming the blades so I took off the roof cover.

After pulling off the fan blades I found the motor shaft did not turn easily. I put some light oil on the top shaft and then removed the motor so I could turn it upside down and oil the bottom shaft. It started turning much easier. I never disconnected it electrically.

It's running now, but I'm not sure how long it will run. I will order a motor to have it available. I also need to order a new gasket for the motor cover. Mine is completely missing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement gasket?
Old 04-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
You might be able to make a gasket if you can’t find one. I needed a gasket last summer for an obsolete chainsaw. I bought a selection of several squares of gasket material (permatex brand) and found a cork one I liked, worked well. Just a thought. Bought in an auto parts store. About $10.
Iowa Dave
Old 04-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
My bathroom fan just stopped running. I took out the screen and found when I pushed the fan blades a little it started turning again. I thought it may be something was jamming the blades so I took off the roof cover.

After pulling off the fan blades I found the motor shaft did not turn easily. I put some light oil on the top shaft and then removed the motor so I could turn it upside down and oil the bottom shaft. It started turning much easier. I never disconnected it electrically.

It's running now, but I'm not sure how long it will run. I will order a motor to have it available. I also need to order a new gasket for the motor cover. Mine is completely missing.

Well that didn't last long. The motor stopped turning yesterday. Fortunately I had the new motor from Amazon. Replacement was easy, but the vent needs both the top and bottom open to access the motor. The electrical wires pulled off the old motor connections and plugged into the new motor. It took about 1/2 an hour, and I'm not a fast worker.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:33 PM   #44

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I also need to order a new gasket for the motor cover. Mine is completely missing.

I've used a standard closed cell foam window weather stripping tape to replace the gasket a couple of times. I've discovered, however, that the gasket adhesive is not very durable, especially in the hot sun.

Today, I removed the most recent gasket [it was starting to come away from the housing cover again] and laid down multiple 1 inch strips of double-sided VHB tape around the circumference. It's hard to get the VHB tape to form a good circle; that's the reason for the small strips. I then added the foam gasket on top of the VHB tape. Seems like much better adhesion. We'll see if it stands the test of time.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 06:44 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Gasket

I made my replacement with some house door urethane seal strip by forming it into a circle and placing a weighed plank over it and let it set for a couple of months. The linear material did not want to be in a circular pattern from the get go.

Time will tell, but it is a bit more durable polymer than the flimsy open cell foam as originally used by the manufacturer.

6 months later, after installation, and I believe this was effective.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote