Bike Rack Redux - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,874
The hitch pin that holds my Swagman 3 bike rack is threaded making it very secure and bounce free IMHO.
__________________

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
My Swagman X2 has worked fine for many years, holding 2 bikes, behind my trailers. Figured it would be fine if I could sit on it without it bending - at 195 pounds I weigh a bit more than 2 bikes. Reasoning was being a mechanical engineer for 30+ years I don't expect metal to be rigid - otherwise airplane wings wouldn't go up and down on takeoff and landing. Stresses have to go somewhere and I'd rather they were on the rack than on the bikes.
__________________

__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Posts: 1,874
Tractors, are you saying your bikes weigh almost 100 pounds each?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Los Osos, California
Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon
Posts: 2,421
Bike Rack Redux

This is what it looks like...whole lotta ugly: Swagman XTC where tires rest on the hoops and a foam covered hook ratchets down on frame.
Nobody heard of the Highland Sportwing? Guess I'll order one and beta test it then. The 2 bike version $110. The 1UP USA rack looks like you get what you pay for, but can't get ahold of them to see if RV rated. Don't answer phone, and haven't returned email inquiry yet. Not sure I want to pony up $5 bills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140805_153648.jpg (149.6 KB, 10 views)
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Jim, I would like to know if you've used it on your 19. I have a 5.0 TA on order, the only location for my bike will be the hitch on the trailer. I only need a single bike rack as my wife does not ride...

Thanks,
As mentioned in my bit on installation timing, I did put it on our 19 this past weekend (and one other time), with two bikes. I installed the rack, then loaded two bikes, in just over a minute, ready to roll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
This is what it looks like...whole lotta ugly: Swagman XTC where tires rest on the hoops and a foam covered hook ratchets down on frame.
Nobody heard of the Highland Sportwing? Guess I'll order one and beta test it then. The 2 bike version $110. The 1UP USA rack looks like you get what you pay for, but can't get ahold of them to see if RV rated. Don't answer phone, and haven't returned email inquiry yet. Not sure I want to pony up $5 bills.
Yep, that looks a lot like the rubs our bikes took. We ended up using pieces of pool noodles to help, but what a pain.

I believe the price to be very well worth it, you definitely get value for the money compared to other racks. I didn't cheap out buying my Escape 19, and won't for something else important to me, especially considering that it has to carry up to the $7,000 of bikes at times.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #16
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
And I thought my brother in law (who is a senior design engineer at TREK working with fiber frames) was kidding about bike prices in the thousands for non-racers.....
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
And I thought my brother in law (who is a senior design engineer at TREK working with fiber frames) was kidding about bike prices in the thousands for non-racers.....
My bike, bought in spring 2013, was a discounted 2012. It was about $500 more than I wanted to spend (but still over $1,000 of list), costing me $3,500, but I did get a carbon fibre frame, and good quality components. I absolutely love it, and hitting the mountains for a days riding has never been so much fun. Great exercise too. Some of the guys we ride with have a bit cheaper mounts, but most of them are WAY more expensive than mine, a couple nearing $10,000. But hey, I bet they get WAY more use out of them than many RV owners do of their units that cost many, many times more. It is all relative.

If you spend good money on something you get good use out of, then there is value in the purchase.

Lots of expensive hobbies out their, shooting, photography, paddling, flying, quads, sleds, skiing, and so on.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:41 PM   #18
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Posts: 2,326
Scuba diving in only warm areas of the planet isn't cheap either - but worth it to me.......
__________________
Charlie Y

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Scuba diving in only warm areas of the planet isn't cheap either - but worth it to me.......
I certainly would think it would be hordes of good fun, and would love to do so too, but just too many things like that to get do them all.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
kstock11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
My bike, bought in spring 2013, was a discounted 2012. It was about $500 more than I wanted to spend (but still over $1,000 of list), costing me $3,500, but I did get a carbon fibre frame, and good quality components. I absolutely love it, and hitting the mountains for a days riding has never been so much fun. Great exercise too. Some of the guys we ride with have a bit cheaper mounts, but most of them are WAY more expensive than mine, a couple nearing $10,000. But hey, I bet they get WAY more use out of them than many RV owners do of their units that cost many, many times more. It is all relative.

If you spend good money on something you get good use out of, then there is value in the purchase.

Lots of expensive hobbies out their, shooting, photography, paddling, flying, quads, sleds, skiing, and so on.
Rule of thumb from my cycling days was that the third bike you buy is the "keeper" and costs about the same as the first new car you bought.
__________________

__________________
Kevin
Thanks to the interstate highway system, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything - Charles Kuralt
kstock11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.