Carport for 5.0TA? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: Looking for a 5.0TA maybe next year
Posts: 242
Carport for 5.0TA?

We have a 12 x 21 carport for our 15' egg, because it was the smallest one we could get years ago. We would probably like one when we get a 5.0TA, but I assume it would need to be 12 x 30? Most carports have a barn style roof too, and the taller they are, the more expensive.

So how tall is a 5.0TA? The brochure says 9'7". Is that to the top of everything, like vents and AC? If you have a 5.0 and were getting a carport for it, how tall would you require?

I doubt I'll get one for the current home, but we'll be selling here and buying near our kids and grandkids around or soon after we buy a 5.0. I would like to have a roof over the new egg.

8 months from today I retire.

Comments?

Thanks,

Frank
__________________

frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,438
Depending on the roof style, make CERTAIN the hips of the carport are at LEAST 10'. My 18'x25' carport is 4" too short for Ten Forward to slip in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScampParkingCarport.jpg (34.6 KB, 37 views)
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: Looking for a 5.0TA maybe next year
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Depending on the roof style, make CERTAIN the hips of the carport are at LEAST 10'. My 18'x25' carport is 4" too short for Ten Forward to slip in!
Thanks Donna, that is exactly the sort of info I am looking for. When you say "the hips of the carport" is that the side height where it starts to slant up?

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 8,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Thanks Donna, that is exactly the sort of info I am looking for. When you say "the hips of the carport" is that the side height where it starts to slant up?

Frank
Yes, the side height. In the fall, I'm having the carport torn down and then rebuilt with taller legs.... at least 10' and maybe 12'. Taller would let me work on the roof of the trailer (WAX) while it's under the carport.

"Had I known then what I know now....."
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: Looking for a 5.0TA maybe next year
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes, the side height. In the fall, I'm having the carport torn down and then rebuilt with taller legs.... at least 10' and maybe 12'. Taller would let me work on the roof of the trailer (WAX) while it's under the carport.

"Had I known then what I know now....."
Thanks Donna, just what I needed to know!

I think a 5.0 would fit under my current carport for height only because I bought one tall enough for the Parkliner. Parkliners are taller than about any other egg of similar size you can get. But the carport is only 21' long, and would be a real pain to disassemble and move anyway. Will either buy or build one at the new place.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:17 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere, Florida
Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Posts: 1,642
My 5.0TA is 11-feet and 7-inches to the top of the Jack Antenna. It fits in the 3-sided 12-foot wide by 24-foot long carport which I had constructed for my previous trailer which I divested myself of because it was an ugly 19-foot Shoddily Constructed And Maintenance Plagued PITA. Having three sides keeps the 5.0 relatively clean when in storage. But if I were to do it again, I would make it higher as it has inadequate “head room” to install a roll-up door. This is a problem because the entry side faces west, allowing afternoon sun to hit the fiberglass. I have addressed this problem by installing a roller system similar to those around hospital beds and installed a tarp. However, a solid door would be preferable. I would therefore suggest that you make it tall enough to include a door assuming zoning and financial concerns do not preclude having an “enclosed” structure.
__________________
“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore’......” E. A. Poe
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
So how tall is a 5.0TA? The brochure says 9'7". Is that to the top of everything, like vents and AC?
It is to the top of everything on a trailer in the standard configuration. The optional "Jack" TV antenna is likely taller (it was in the past), and the optional "High Lift Axle" (which is actually a set of spacers which set the whole trailer higher above the axle than standard) adds 2.6".

This previous discussion might be helpful:
Max external height on the 5.0 TA
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ravena, New York
Trailer: Looking for a 5.0TA maybe next year
Posts: 242
Thanks Carl! got a pic of your carport?

How's that F150 do for towing? Did it come with the tow package? I only ask because we'll probably be buying a 2015 or 2016 F150 next year. Wife will not got for an F250, which I would prefer!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Somewhere, Florida
Trailer: 1804 Schooner
Posts: 1,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Thanks Carl! got a pic of your carport?

How's that F150 do for towing? Did it come with the tow package? I only ask because we'll probably be buying a 2015 or 2016 F150 next year. Wife will not got for an F250, which I would prefer!

Frank
In order to get the features I wanted, I ordered it. I wanted an extended cab because I wanted the 6-1/2 foot bed without increasing the overall length. I am also partial to 5th wheel hitches rather than the Andersen. I did order the towing package and the 35 gallon fuel tank. The 2.7 EcoBoost has plenty of power for the 5.0, but my previous F150 had the 3.5 EB. It was a rocket. Two photos of the carport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FBB44285-5B78-418D-92BF-EAA00F9F65E4.jpg (178.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 1509F972-483A-4756-BD40-CB1C7C543119.jpg (227.6 KB, 13 views)
__________________
“Quoth the Raven, ‘Nevermore’......” E. A. Poe
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
My 5.0TA is 11-feet and 7-inches to the top of the Jack Antenna.
Holy Cow, that's 11" taller then mine, and I have the JACK too.
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.