Corroded Window Screws - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Maybe we need to inspect or tour other units at Osoyoos to make a logical conclusion if it is the screw or type of install or some other variable involved. I'll volunteer mine to start.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #52

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Took a quick look at mine this am and saw what looks like surface rust on the screws for the kitchen window. Dropped ETI a note about new screws. Got a reply " the rusty screws in question on the forum were from a bad batch and should only include trailers built within the last 3-4 months". Guess I take a closer look in tomorrow as mine in from June.

Oops!

Old 01-20-2015, 09:07 PM   #53

Trailer: 2014 19'
I sent an email requesting new screws. Reace asked for some pictures to look over.

And this is my justification:
I would like to replace them for 2 reasons: people sitting at the dinette and bed can get rust stains on their clothing and the condensation drips will result in the rust staining the window frame … and vinyl eventually

I plan to 'tip them' with bar soap and they should tap back in easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rusty screws 02 sm.jpg (176.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg rusty screws 03 sm.jpg (136.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg rusty screws 04 sm.jpg (147.5 KB, 20 views)
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #54

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
There're several grades of stainless steel. I doubt window mounting screws are made with the same surgical grade stainless as operating room instruments.
Still, one shouldn't have to pay much for a box of 100 stainless steel # 8 screws. I don't see this as a big deal. Think of it as maintainence or an easy mod!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #55

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOleMan View Post
I dunno 'bout that, my dad's 1955 Buick survived 3 teenage boys and was still going strong with about 100K miles on the clock when I went into the service.
The 1970's were probably a quality low point, with earlier products perhaps tougher (although poor performers by current standards)... but our family's 1958 Pontiac essentially dissolved when we moved to a place were road salt was used; every car I've owned has out-lasted that Pontiac. There are so many aspects to quality...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #56

Trailer: 5.0TA Jan. 2015, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Got a reply " the rusty screws in question on the forum were from a bad batch and should only include trailers built within the last 3-4 months".
Mine was made within that time period. That makes me a bit nervous but I'll have to wait and see if any rust developes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I sent an email requesting new screws.
I don't blame you. Those are some ugly looking screws for a relatively new trailer. When was it made?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #57
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Got a reply " the rusty screws in question on the forum were from a bad batch and should only include trailers built within the last 3-4 months". Guess I take a closer look in tomorrow as mine in from June.
I've got dirt on my trailer that's older than that. Since I had a July 3rd pickup date, I'll just keep an eye on the screws as well. I've taken a couple of the windows out of my Scamp a half-dozen times. Replacing screws shouldn't be a major problem. If you decide to go with SS, be sure to put a plastic/teflon washer under the screw head, otherwise you may end up with galling and that would be worse than some rusty screws.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
I sent an email requesting new screws. Reace asked for some pictures to look over.

And this is my justification:
I would like to replace them for 2 reasons: people sitting at the dinette and bed can get rust stains on their clothing and the condensation drips will result in the rust staining the window frame … and vinyl eventually

I plan to 'tip them' with bar soap and they should tap back in easily.
Rather than go to the effort of replacing the screws, I think that I would take a small brush and a can of black Rustoleum paint, and put a dab over each of the screws. Should look fine afterwards.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #59

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Rather than go to the effort of replacing the screws, I think that I would take a small brush and a can of black Rustoleum paint, and put a dab over each of the screws. Should look fine afterwards.
You beat me to the suggestion I was just about to make. That is what I would try anyway.

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:52 AM   #60

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Everbilt #10 x 3/4 in. Stainless-Steel Pan-Head Phillips Drive Sheet Metal Screw (25-Piece)-800202 - The Home Depot

12 dollars ought to set you up with 100 pcs.

J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote