Extra taillights - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2024, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Extra taillights

We carry a tandem bicycle on the back of our trailer and would like to use a cover but that would completely obscure the taillights. Can I run a long four pin cable from my truck under the trailer (using four pin and seven pin simultaneously) to a removable light bar? That’s the simplest approach. Alternatively, I could tap into the taillight wiring but I don’t think I could mount the lights high enough without getting under the insulation (which I don’t want to do).
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
If that's what you deem the easiest solution for your need, I say go for it.

I see no reason why a separate 4-pin harness / lights would not work or would cause any problems.

Unless you have a very odd truck, the 4-pin and 7-pin connectors share the same feeds in parallel; using the 4-pin concurrently should behave just as if you had added lights in parallel at the back of the trailer by tapping the existing taillight wires.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:15 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Would your cover obscure the top row of taillights as well?
Old 02-22-2024, 01:08 PM   #4

I didn’t know those were also brake lights and signals.
Old 02-22-2024, 08:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
I didn’t know those were also brake lights and signals.
Double check your functions but this was posted by War Eagle back in 2017:
“If you look at the five now standard lights along the top rear of the new models, the three center lights serve as additional brake lights, the one on each upper corner is an additional running/directional light. So even if the two traditional lower lights are completely covered by bicycles, cargo carrier, etc., the five upper lights do everything you need, so I was told by ETI back when we asked about adding them as an option....”

That said I personally would still want lights down lower. On our older 19 with a 4-way light harness at the rear ordered from the factory they simply tapped into the wiring under the bed near the back corner. You might look around and find it in a similar location on the 21NE. If you do verify your light functions by color as brown and green wires may be opposite of what you might expect:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post145608
Old 02-22-2024, 08:29 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Double check your functions but this was posted by War Eagle back in 2017:
“If you look at the five now standard lights along the top rear of the new models, the three center lights serve as additional brake lights, the one on each upper corner is an additional running/directional light. So even if the two traditional lower lights are completely covered by bicycles, cargo carrier, etc., the five upper lights do everything you need, so I was told by ETI back when we asked about adding them as an option....”

That said I personally would still want lights down lower. . .
The OP didn't say if he wanted the light bar low down, or up high. Might be hard to attach to a bicycle cover, though if bike rack is above the bumper, could be magnetically attached to the bumper, which would give both high and low signals.

I would think the high signals would be enough. Are they standard now, or do you have to ask for them as an option?
Old 02-22-2024, 08:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I would think the high signals would be enough. Are they standard now, or do you have to ask for them as an option?
I believe they are a standard configuration on all models except the 17. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.
Old 02-22-2024, 10:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15 B. Room4Two
Somewhere I read that someone took a section of pvc and mounted lights to it. They ran a racket trap through the pvc and around the bikes.

They had a pug for power wired into the trailer lights.

Then they just stored it away when they didn’t need it.

ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:36 AM   #9

My intention is to use a removable light bar (not designed yet). Just wanted to confirm that I can use the four pin and seven pin at the same time.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
My intention is to use a removable light bar (not designed yet). Just wanted to confirm that I can use the four pin and seven pin at the same time.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
You can simply tap into the rear lower trailer lights and wire in a 4 pin connector through the floor under the dinette storage space. I permanently mounted long flat taillights on the rear bumper that set just below the bike rack. Very easy, the bumper is hollow and I ran the wires inside making it very neat in appearance.
SkipperClyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I mounted lights identical to the ones on my trailer on my cargo box as it pretty solidly covered the existing ones. Easy to tie in. I did use a flat 4 pin connector as that gave me the two signal (which are also the brake) and one for the tail lights. This left me a pin I wired to the positive to put lights inside the box, though you would not need it.

I actually used the connector disconnect for the first time in 6 years this past spring as I pulled off the cargo box to paint the frame for the box and the trailer frame and bumper at the back. I also gave it two good coats of wax which is impossible with the box mounted.

There is a brand of bike cover that many use that allow the light to shine through from the lights mounted on the trailer. My one brother uses this and I have followed him and seen the lights quite good. As others mentioned, there are the lights along the top as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:47 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I ran a 4-pin trailer harness from the junction box below the pin box, along the frame, to the rear bike rack receiver on my 5.0TA. I tapped into the proper connections for the 7-pin harness inside the junction box.

It works as it should.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
I had eti wire a flat 4 at the rear hitch , looking at how they went about it it is an easy job . They just tapped into the rear lights from under the bench . I added led trailer lights to my 1up rack using aluminum angles . Works perfectly and adds more lights to the rear of the camper which I believe to be a good thing
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:52 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
The overhead tail lights on our E21 are signal lights as well as clearance, they cover the role nicely without addition of extra lights. I thought all Escapes were wired this way, but perhaps not.

At any rate, I checked this on our trailer for the same reason as you, bike covers in the way, but concluded that there was no problem because the overhead lights work as signals on our trailer.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:21 AM   #16

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
The overhead tail lights on our E21 are signal lights as well as clearance, they cover the role nicely without addition of extra lights. I thought all Escapes were wired this way, but perhaps not.

At any rate, I checked this on our trailer for the same reason as you, bike covers in the way, but concluded that there was no problem because the overhead lights work as signals on our trailer.
This is true, Al, The upper lights used to be an option, with the lower lights as standard. So many people were ordering the option because of bikes and other loads on the rear bumper, that Reace made the upper lights standard on all trailers. Now, when the lower lights are covered by loads, adding auxiliary lower lights is a good idea, but not required.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 12:24 PM   #17

I know the upper lights cover the legal aspect but im concerned that they’re not very visible to someone right behind me in traffic.
Old 03-09-2024, 03:16 PM   #18

Quote:
I know the upper lights cover the legal aspect but im concerned that they’re not very visible to someone right behind me in traffic.
That I can understand and agree with.

IMO it's a matter of 'conspicuity' - trying to grab the attention of following drivers who may not be 100% attentive to the situation, whether or not in traffic.

Conspicuity and grabbing attention are a function of several factors including sight-line (height), brightness / contrast at all sun-angles, and the area (size) of the illuminated lens.

IMO the upper lights don't meet any of those criteria (and there's situations when the stylish slim OE Escape lower taillights don't either).
Old 03-09-2024, 03:54 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
That I can understand and agree with.

IMO it's a matter of 'conspicuity' - trying to grab the attention of following drivers who may not be 100% attentive to the situation, whether or not in traffic.

Conspicuity and grabbing attention are a function of several factors including sight-line (height), brightness / contrast at all sun-angles, and the area (size) of the illuminated lens.

IMO the upper lights don't meet any of those criteria (and there's situations when the stylish slim OE Escape lower taillights don't either).

Agreed.

Last summer I mounted a rearview camera on my 5.0TA. I was really surprised by the number of vehicles I saw on the rearview monitor that were not visible to me in my side mirrors. Those drivers would be far too close to see my upper lights soon enough in an emergency stop situation.

I was tempted to get a sticker like the truckers use: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"
Old 03-13-2024, 09:19 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
Last summer I mounted a rearview camera on my 5.0TA. I was really surprised by the number of vehicles I saw on the rearview monitor that were not visible to me in my side mirrors. Those drivers would be far too close to see my upper lights soon enough in an emergency stop situation.

I was tempted to get a sticker like the truckers use: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"
Do you have good trailering mirrors? I do and can see anyone behind me at all times with them. They would have to be real small and real close to not see them and that would never happen as I keep track of all vehicles near me on the road.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote