Fibreglass cleaning/polishing - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How to make my 2004 17B look like new again
Cleaning 4 22.22%
Polishing 14 77.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Fibreglass cleaning/polishing

A product that I recently found out about is 303 Aerospace Protectant. It is expensive but so far I have been impressed with its results. It is a spray on that, according to the manufacturer, that penetrates into the fiberglass rather coating it. I tried it on an old canoe that was quite powdery with oxidation and was impressed with the results. I also used it on some of the plastic parts on our Tacoma and the results were much better than I have seen with any other "protectant" products. I have not used it long enough to be able to confirm how long it lasts, but it seems well worth a try. The website talks about using with oxidized fiberglass here: http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...fiberglass.cfm

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna

Here is a link to fgrv:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
I am waiting to see how this RedMax Pro pans out. It's been over a year now. As mine still shines, I have not done anything but wash her and then cover. Needless to say, I'd prefer minimum "elbow grease"

Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
Here is a link to fgrv:http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html
I am waiting to see how this RedMax Pro pans out. It's been over a year now. As mine still shines, I have not done anything but wash her and then cover. Needless to say, I'd prefer minimum "elbow grease"
I personally would be very wary of using floor polish on a fiberglass trailer - except maybe as a last resort on a really old completely oxidized one that nothing else worked on. School custodians have to use strong chemicals to strip that kind of stuff off floors and it tends to turn yellow over time.

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #14

I agree. Was early and often to avoid oxidation. MY old Casita needed triage-level help when we got it. I might have been tempted to try floor finish on it as I was never able to achieve anything better than a satin finish. On our shiny new 5.0?...not on a bet.

Dave
Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

I have to give a strong second to the use of 303 Aerospace Protectant. I've been using it for years on plastic/synthetic surfaces, and started with it on the trailer when it was new. I've even gone through the pain of coating the tires -- both sides and tread surfaces -- once, and will probably do so again next year (3 year mark). An example of how it inhibits oxidization: I bicycle regularly, and used to get 1 to maybe 2 years out of a tube before it oxidized, rotted, and needed to be replaced. Last time I installed tubes in my mountain bike, I gave them a coating of 303. Those tubes are now 6 years old and still strong. The stuff is a bit expensive, but in the long run I'm saving money. I wish I owned stock in the company. http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #16

We have a 2004 17B escape and I've used the product "Gel-Gloss", applying it once a year.
This product is recommended for fibreglass and is sold at Canadian Tire stores.
Reace suggested using this product when we brought the trailer.

Cheers, Roy
Maynetta and Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:25 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6

How is Gel-Gloss for ease of application?

baglo

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
How is Gel-Gloss for ease of application?

baglo
It is just like using liquid wax - wipe it on, polish it off. We use it on our fiberglass shower frequently. It is essentially carnuba wax and "non-harmful abrasive cleaning agents that remove surface oxidation and light scratches" according to the website. http://gel-gloss.com/index.php?pageId=351

Eric

Old 10-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #19

I used a Marine polish made by 3M. Easy to apply with a sponge and as soon as it dries polish it with a cloth.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #20

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Smile Spring Cleaning

Here on the wet coast the rain leaves hard to remove black streaks on any white vehicle. The PROTECT ALL product called BLACK streak CLEANER made easy work for me yesterday. Very little elbow grease required if sprayed on liberally. Used all 946 mL to do our 19. Then used the PROTECTAL Wax product. The trailer now looks brand new after an afternoons work.