Fifth wheel parking experts - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This one?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #12
Site Team

Here's one for a 5th wheel, although it's not home built, it may give you some ideas:

Old 09-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I know when backing my Escape 19' with dual axles the rear set of wheels scuffs as I turn the unit sharply. Will this happen with the new dual axle 5th?
Yes, for the same reason. A possible way to make it easier (with either type of trailer) is to just hold the front as low as possible, which transfers load to the forward axle so the tires of rearward axle may be able skid around more easily than having two equally loaded axles fighting each other.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #14

Tractor Trailer Pusher manuevers heavy equipment trailers and campers. DJProducts
That's a substantial piece of equipment. I was thinking that a dolly for a fifth-wheel would be too tall, but maybe it would be practical.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #15

That is the one Donna, there are likely others just as good or better. I like the idea of a drill because it has forward/reverse and variable speed (if necessary). I would move the drill up to the handle though.

Plan B
If you could back your 5th wheel in so that it is at or close to the proper angle/but still sticking out into the backlane you could pull it in with a manual or electric winch. To pull it out you would need a deadman (tree, piece of pipe/post pounded in the ground) across the lane. You could also maneuverer it with a little extra effort using the winch or judiciously using friction/a stop on one tire.

Plan C/how the Egyptians did it.
If again you have or can make a flat surface (using planks), you can make a temporary skid that the front legs sit on with pipe lengths underneath and push/pull and pry the trailer into position. You will be able to shift/turn the front fairly easily. I've moved heavy machinery through my yard (asphalt driveway, concrete sidewalk, bark mulch and then grass backyard) around plants, trees and shrubs over bumps and up inclines using this method.

Lots of ways you can do it.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I have searched hard and long for the right solution. For about $5000 or more and a place to store the large power mover for an occasional need, it can be accomplished. The dynamics of hand moving a 5th wheel are completely different than from a regular trailer. For starters, there is much more weight on the hitch and the hitch is several inches off the ground. So be careful using some home made contraption they may topple and cause injury and damage to your RV. Chris spoke of gravel. That almost eliminates hand pushing. A power mover is going to need more or larger wheels to get traction while overcoming the friction of the dual axles on gravel. Give consideration to the weight you have added in the ready to camp mode, mods, slope, and surface conditions. These things I know from experience.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #17

They currently use a trailer dolly to move their 17 with "not too much effort needed" on gravel. Therefore the slope if any is minimal. There primary concern is maneuvering the TV. They appear to be considering a replacement for the gravel.

Of course any home made device would have to be safe and used safely. Anyone who has the ability to make something at home to move a trailer like in the video already has acquired quite a bit of common sense and ability. Just because you buy something in the store doesn't mean you know how to use it safely or that it's a better product. Back to common sense, with the right mechanical advantage you can move just about anything. The actual HP required to move a trailer on a flat surface (slowly) is very low, hence the previously mentioned methods working. As far as I can tell, only the commercial tractor video involved hooking to the pin.

This is the "Yes we can" forum and there are a lot of talented people on this forum who have come up with many ingenious modifications and solutions.

Dave
Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #18
Site Team

I'm not an engineer, nor did I spend the night at a Holiday Inn, but could you use a different vehicle to move it in? I don't know if you have a small car for everyday use, but I know there are number of people that have put front hitches on their vehicles so they can move a trailer into it's spot.

I'm thinking a chunk of square steel, a heavy duty swivel caster on the bottom and something to lock the king pin in at the top... kinda like my funky drawing. There are really heavy duty casters for cheap, here's two 600# for <$16.00 Amazon.com: Pair Heavy-Duty 5 in. Swivel Casters with Double-Lock Brake - 600 LB - Set of Two: Industrial & Scientific
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5thWheelMover.jpg (21.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 09-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
or you can put a hitch on the front and get something that fits in the receiver.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
or you can put a hitch on the front and get something that fits in the receiver.
But a 5.0 has a lot of hitch weight for this... thus, Donna's suggestion to build something that doesn't require the vehicle to support the weight.

Also, with the hitch far above the ground, any front receiver would be challenged to withstand the bending force of pushing the trailer on the end of the required tall post.