Funnel for refilling water tank from 5 gal water bottles - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Funnel for refilling water tank from 5 gal water bottles

When we get our Escape 21 we will be going from a 46 gal water tank in our stick trailer to the 30 gal tank in the Escape. We already would occasionally add water to make it through a long period dry camping with the 46 gal capacity and are sure we will now need to bring much more water along and regularly refill the tank from 5 gal containers. To ensure the gray tank doesn't overflow in the Escape, we plan on washing dishes in a tub in the sink and then dumping in the bushes or down designated drains at the campsite.

I would appreciate ideas for the following:

Has anyone read about or built a self supporting funnel that could be stuck into the water tank inlet, allowing you to pour the water at a downward angle. I have used a 1 gal plastic milk carton (with a window cut in the side) and clear plastic tubing pushed over the neck as a funnel, but it requires someone to hold it and it comes apart all the time.

I'm guessing there are others out there who dry camp and have better ideas than this. Maybe you can actually buy something designed with supports.

Bob K

Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Hi Bob,
I like this idea, I have the jug already, at 7 gallons it may be too heavy though.

There's also buying a spare water pump and using it.

I use this one now, it's not self supporting so I need to get my wife in on the chore to make it work. Haven't tried it with the 7 gallon jug as yet, only a 3 gallon pail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg funnel (495 x 441).jpg (15.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I've used a 6 gallon jug. I tell myself that I only need to fill it half way, but...... You know, it's a guy thing. I finally broke down and now ask my wife to help poring it in.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
This is not an original idea, but I've seen a couple of examples of using stick-on hooks, like you might use in the shower, to hold a funnel in place. You could use the vacuum type or one of the Command Hook types, neither of which result in any damage to the fiberglass.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We often take an extra large container of water along, but it never gets poured into the trailer. We use it for cooking and drinking water outside. I am not even sure of the size of our water tank in our trailer, but we have never come close to emptying it.We usually bring a couple gallons of filtered water too, for use with coffee.

Not a solution for you, but another option.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A TV tray or small folding table that's a bit higher than the fill? Maybe I'm not visualizing the issue, but this seems like it would work. Using the clear hose like Bob shows, lay the jug on it's side with the hose down the filler and let gravity do the work. The neat thing is the small table can be used around the campfire too. Double-duty
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 21 2013 Yukon

Got this 6 gal at Wal-Mart. Like it because its thin. Can pour this solo with my funnel by keeping the funnel bowl held upward with the jug's spout, although it's a little heavy at first. When nearby a camp water source prefer the round 3 gallon jugs. Love the translucent water tank on the trailer- we don't need the sensors.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
That's what I use also. With a little practice, I've been able to just insert the spout into the Escape filler without messing with a funnel. It's a little ungainly until a gallon or two have poured in, but it's simple that way.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Funnel

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of a screw on funnel end like on the 6 gal container, but I should have mentioned that I use the 5 gal purified water containers (often just filled with tap water from home). We had some awful tasting water in the past when we used to carry water in giant water containers sold by Canadian Tire and other stores with camping equipment. The plastic broke down and added its chemicals to the flavouring. Since switching to the purified water supplier containers I haven't had a repeat of that chemical leaching.

The flex necked funnel that Bob (Padlin) posted might do the trick if the water inlet on the Escape 21 isn't as high as it was on our stick trailer. It was too hard to hoist the water container high enough and long enough to pour its contents down into a funnel. Another benefit of the milk jug was that if I poured too fast its large volume acted as a buffer for the water surge. I drew a diagram of the setup I used before. I'm thinking that if I glued the milk jug, and the two plastic tube sections together it wouldn't come apart on me and then I could put a couple of hooks on the wall of the trailer (suction cups) and support the funnel assembly from them.

It seemed to me that there had to be a better way, and maybe even a commercial funnel with a wide enough lip to act like a tray. It would be nice to be able to fill the water tank on my own without baptizing my wife, but then it can be a real laugh! http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...lies/laugh.gif

Bob K
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I use a hand pump to winterize. Would also work to pump from water container ( with a longer hose ).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hand pump.jpg (170.4 KB, 5 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote