How difficult is it? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2023, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
How difficult is it?

Hello All and HAPPY MOTHER'S day to all the Mom's.

It's time to replace the AC on our 2014 21C, I've read enough to know the Houghton RecPro 9500 is the way to go. My question is how difficult is this to do, something I should be able to do myself? If I do pay someone to do it what is a fair price?

Big Thanks in advance,

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation no one can answer but you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
... My question is how difficult is this to do, something I should be able to do myself? ...
Steve, the answer depends on your specific skillsets and the tools / equipment available to you. No one here can possibly know that.

Tasks that may be easy for some may be impossibly difficult for others (and vice versa). Any comment such as "it was easy" or "it was very difficult" has no bearing on your own situation because you cannot possibly know their skillsets, etc.

IMO you must research all of the tasks involved in the project and draw your own conclusion about your ability to complete them successfully. If you are unable to conduct that evaluation confidently, then IMO the answer to your question is most likely "No" and there's nothing wrong in that.

Have Fun, Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Hello All and HAPPY MOTHER'S day to all the Mom's.

It's time to replace the AC on our 2014 21C, I've read enough to know the Houghton RecPro 9500 is the way to go. My question is how difficult is this to do, something I should be able to do myself? If I do pay someone to do it what is a fair price?

Big Thanks in advance,

Steve

A few people have done it DIY. One thread is here.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...5-a-24074.html

I need to do my homework on it myself. I think it is helpful to have 2 people. At my age, I'm stopping in at my brother's(straight from Sumas) to have him help me put one in. But most have done it themselves............... once the unit is UP there. I haven't a clue if there is a video anywhere? But, I think they are the same as any AC install. The biggest problem seems to be getting the crap off from the old.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
We ordered our 21C w/o AC, already had a Houghton 9500 waiting in the garage. When it came time to install I hired a mobile RV tech to help, mostly because I could not get the unit on top of The QShip. Cost about $175 and was well worth it. He had a clever winch just for rv use that allowed him to move it to the top by himself.

I removed the vent, cleaned it up and installed the ac breaker before he arrived, which I am sure saved substantial money. The goo is a pain to remove, and it must be very clean to be sure the air conditioner seals properly. Probably took 1-2 hours to do it. If I were to do it again I would contact ETI for a recommendation on the best goo remover.

The 9500 works well, and is sufficient for our 21C. One thing that is nice is that it uses a wireless remote, so no trailer wiring to deal with.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 02:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

My question is how difficult is this to do, something I should be able to do myself? If I do pay someone to do it what is a fair price?

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Steve, the answer depends on your specific skillsets and the tools / equipment available to you. No one here can possibly know that.
I agree, and it's one of my many faults that I encourage folks to take on these types of mods.

In his favor he's contemplating doing it so that shows a "can do" attitude which is a good first start.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 08:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 escape 17B
Well, I am one of the guys/gals that did it.
My skill sets are well above average, and I have all the tools and know how to use them.
If you don't know how to connect wires without using wire nuts, stop here.
If you don't know how to properly clean and re-caulk surface, stop here.
The project requires lifting 100 lbs 8ft on and off a roof you should not step on. This was my most formidable task, but my son did this with an extension ladder ramp and youth. The unit still had to be dead lifted onto the caulk without disturbing the bead.
You have to reconnect the heater, in my case at least. The forum can help with that.
Tool skills required 8/10, electrical skills required 8/10, strength requires at least 1 strong back.
The project is totally doable as long as you have the required skills. The results are worth whatever it takes. Stan
mr.stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 21
Or one can located a tree with high enough,large enough branch n use a pulley system,a garage, building to use the pulley system or an electric winch to do the lifting and lowering of the unit. Have a AC replacement party with friends to help with the project. Just make sure you place a1 to 2 inch foam board down then at least 5/8 sheet of plywood on top of the foam board to protect the gel coat and most importantly distribute the weight across a large area of the roof. I used a winch to change out our AC. Main thing is to take one’s time think everything out n relax while doing this. Then enjoy your new AC .

One can also just call a mobile Rv tech and have them do it for you.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17B (coming April '23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.stang View Post
If you don't know how to connect wires without using wire nuts, stop here.
Should I not have used wire nuts? What did you use?

I've actually got a replacement unit coming because mine was way louder than it should have been, so I've got a shot at a do-over. I'm guessing the high vibration nature of the RV environment makes wire nuts a bad long term choice and I should go with some kind of crimp connector?

As far as getting it on the roof, I slid the whole "inner" box up a ladder, and then used a bunch of the packaging to help distribute my weight as I installed it. Definitely would have been easier with two people and a ladder on each side.
jaffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 21
Wire nut are fine to use but look at the Waygo wire connector easier on old worn hands and easy to disconnect when and if needed
Old 05-15-2023, 08:47 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Nothing wrong with wire nuts as long as they are done correctly, twist the wires together first with plyers then screw on the nut good and tight.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffee View Post
Should I not have used wire nuts? What did you use?

As far as getting it on the roof, I slid the whole "inner" box up a ladder, and then used a bunch of the packaging to help distribute my weight as I installed it. Definitely would have been easier with two people and a ladder on each side.

Yes there ways of doing things. I figure to use a ladder sloped, & Have my Brother pull mine up from the other side(things I've seen done on construction sites).
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote