Leaking Shower Vent? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Leaking bath vent

On the 2010 Escape we have, the uv and the sun and elements eventually caused the bath vent to start leaking late last year. While I could have replaced it myself, we had E T I do it last June along with a couple other improvements. We like the vent and use it often, if we were buying a new Escape we might opt for the window instead of the vent. Between the time it started to leak and when we got it replaced, we sealed it with some waterproof tape, worked well. We really like the rain gutter stick ons we installed on the rest of the windows. Did not take long, work very well.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Yea, but it drips down your back when sitting on the can...
Umbrella?
Old 10-23-2015, 07:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_escape View Post

Was the leaking that you had coming out of your vent? We have water that is pooling in our shower base and moisture collecting on the screen. Any help would be appreciated.
Failure of the <$20 plastic square vent is common. It is one of the reasons ETI changed to the push vent long a standard on the Casita. Unfortunately replacing the vent with the same vent only delays future problems. In addition the fixed metal screen made it impossible to clean the vent or caulk inside the vent. Here is what I did:
1- prep and mask the outside and coat with Rustoleam Leak Seal.
2-using a utility knife, cut away the metal screen
3- using a good caulk, seal the corners and base from the inside
4- fashion a new screen from screen material, sew fabric edging material around edges, I put some small grommets in and screw to the underside of the vent area.
5- you can remove the screen for cleaning and re-caulking
6- so far all leaks solved and additional benefit is no more yellow vent
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:19 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
On the 2010 Escape we have, the uv and the sun and elements eventually caused the bath vent to start leaking late last year. While I could have replaced it myself, we had E T I do it last June along with a couple other improvements. We like the vent and use it often, if we were buying a new Escape we might opt for the window instead of the vent. Between the time it started to leak and when we got it replaced, we sealed it with some waterproof tape, worked well. We really like the rain gutter stick ons we installed on the rest of the windows. Did not take long, work very well.
Dave
We are going up in July for a bathroom window and an outside shower install, and to have a general inspection tune up etc. If I haven't fixed the leaker by then, I will have them do it. We are on day 2 of being parked in the rain in Texas, getting sick of the drip. That umbrella idea is starting to sound plausible.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:38 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
That umbrella idea is starting to sound plausible.
Picture please, although my imagination may be better.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Picture please, although my imagination may be better.
Yeah let me go ask the Wife about that, on second thought...
Old 10-24-2015, 01:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
We are going up in July for a bathroom window and an outside shower install, and to have a general inspection tune up etc. If I haven't fixed the leaker by then, I will have them do it. We are on day 2 of being parked in the rain in Texas, getting sick of the drip. That umbrella idea is starting to sound plausible.
Hi: DeadEyeDan... I'm really glad we have the round style 12V power vent. That leaves me to be the only drip in our trailer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: DeadEyeDan... I'm really glad we have the round style 12V power vent. That leaves me to be the only drip in our trailer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie

Yes you are lucky, LOL. We had that vent in our Casita. Too bad they cannot retrofit to that one.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:25 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Failure of the <$20 plastic square vent is common. It is one of the reasons ETI changed to the push vent long a standard on the Casita. Unfortunately replacing the vent with the same vent only delays future problems. In addition the fixed metal screen made it impossible to clean the vent or caulk inside the vent. Here is what I did:
1- prep and mask the outside and coat with Rustoleam Leak Seal.
2-using a utility knife, cut away the metal screen
3- using a good caulk, seal the corners and base from the inside
4- fashion a new screen from screen material, sew fabric edging material around edges, I put some small grommets in and screw to the underside of the vent area.
5- you can remove the screen for cleaning and re-caulking
6- so far all leaks solved and additional benefit is no more yellow vent
Hi Tim very interested in doing this too . Because it is a 9 in instead of 14in to replace I will have to remove the whole vent instead of the vent cover that are on 14 in . I wish I knew this was what we were getting I would of asked them please don't cut hole .we have the bathroom window .now you get the totally replaceable round 12 volt one which is also powered . Anyway do you have any pictures of your fix including the screen .I have painted with Fusion paint because it was a ugly yellow but I want to coat the plastic and maybe it will last longer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Tim very interested in doing this too . Because it is a 9 in instead of 14in to replace I will have to remove the whole vent instead of the vent cover that are on 14 in . I wish I knew this was what we were getting I would of asked them please don't cut hole .we have the bathroom window .now you get the totally replaceable round 12 volt one which is also powered . Anyway do you have any pictures of your fix including the screen .I have painted with Fusion paint because it was a ugly yellow but I want to coat the plastic and maybe it will last longer . Pat
I will put together some pictures and post in this thread. As I said, I couldn't see having ETI replace it with the same thing, which is the only option they have with this 9 inch vent.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
There is an alternative option depending on how DYI you are.
When we had our 17, the 9" vent screen failed, was yellow, cleaning it was impossible and I did not want to replace it with another one. The 14" won't fit because there is not a big enough flat area to mount it on, inside or out.
ETI had just started to install the powered pushup one so I got one. I removed the 9" vent (takes patience), cleaned up the hole and all the caulking. I was able to get power from the bathroom light and push a wire over to the vent hole. I then got 2 sheets on aluminum (1/8 inch), about 9.5 inches square and cut a matching hole in them for the new pushup vent. One sheet goes on the outside secured with caulking and rivets (used the same holes as the old vent) and the other goes on the inside with 4 screws. I think I painted the inside one white. Installed the new fan/vent, hook up the power and it works fine.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe Hengs makes a 9" square metal cover, used on some Airstreams.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Will check this out . Thanks Jim . Pat
Old 10-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #34

Quote:
I will put together some pictures and post in this thread. As I said, I couldn't see having ETI replace it with the same thing, which is the only option they have with this 9 inch vent.
Thanks Tim will be looking for your pics . Pat
Old 10-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
There is an alternative option depending on how DYI you are.
When we had our 17, the 9" vent screen failed, was yellow, cleaning it was impossible and I did not want to replace it with another one. The 14" won't fit because there is not a big enough flat area to mount it on, inside or out.
ETI had just started to install the powered pushup one so I got one. I removed the 9" vent (takes patience), cleaned up the hole and all the caulking. I was able to get power from the bathroom light and push a wire over to the vent hole. I then got 2 sheets on aluminum (1/8 inch), about 9.5 inches square and cut a matching hole in them for the new pushup vent. One sheet goes on the outside secured with caulking and rivets (used the same holes as the old vent) and the other goes on the inside with 4 screws. I think I painted the inside one white. Installed the new fan/vent, hook up the power and it works fine.
Hi Chris that is a bit of work . I was thinking of something like that . I was thinking of a piece of fiberglass matching the contours of roof to just close up hole . Your idea using the current powered vent is better . I will bookmark your fix if it has to come down to this . Thankyou . Pat
Old 10-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I could never find one to buy and still would have had to remove the old one. Trying to follow the KIS method first and will resort to replacement if I have to. So far everything I have done has worked great.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #37

Here is my modification of the 9 inch plastic bath vent, common on older Escapes.
The outside of the vent was coated with Rust-oleam Leak Seal, which seals and partially insulates the outside of the vent.
The inside metal screen was cut away and I used a needle nose pliers to remove any remaining metal strands.
The inside corners and the base of the vent was sealed with caulk now that I could get to it.
Additionally, I insulated the underside of the vent cover with Reflectix (holding it in place with caulk) and then covering it with Reflectix metal tape.
I fashioned a screen to replace the metal one and hemmed the sides and inserted small grommets as locations for the screws. Screw holes were drilled in the plastic edge to hold the screen in place.
Additionally, I fashioned another piece of Reflectix which friction fits covering the hole vent when it is especially cold or hot.
Moist air no longer condenses on the underside of the vent. The screen can be removed to clean the vent area or to recaulk if necessary. The bathroom is much warmer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4518.jpg   IMG_4519.jpg   IMG_4521.jpg   IMG_4522.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #38

One additional pictures on the 9 inch vent mod with the friction fit insulation in place.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4523.jpg  
Old 10-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #39

Quote:
One additional pictures on the 9 inch vent mod with the friction plum fit insulation in place.
Very nice work Tim . Is the Rustolum sealer on top Black ? Does it come in a can or is it a spray ? Living in California haven't found I would need to insulate . I could put on cover if needed for longevity to cover . The screen though is a problem can't clean the way it is . I thought of coating with rubberized coating they have for roofs . What do you think of using that ? Or do I want to have more like a Rhino product for plastic ? All your thoughts on this are appreciated . Pat
Old 11-17-2015, 05:49 PM   #40

leaking shower vent

I have the 9 in shower vent and for many reason's not happy with it . I wanted to take care of vent now . Chris R. gave me lots of guidance on how to change this vent out with the current round power vent . One day I called Escape and they have a better solution to change out this 9 in vent . At the time Chris R. fixed his on his 17B , there was no other solution except replace with another 9 in . So Chris came up with a solution . Anyway mine arrived last night from Escape . I feel for the whole solution fix it is well worth it . I am posting picture just in case anyone else wants to change their 9 in out . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
P1010002 3.jpg