LED dome lights - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 07:03 AM   #121

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Couldn't you ask ETI?
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 AM   #122

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
They are closed right now, thought a forum member could answer the question.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #123

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
They are closed right now, thought a forum member could answer the question.

My neighbor received a new 19 one month ago, and yes, it was constructed using pancake lights with replaceable bulbs. They’re really nice, too. The larger ones have two bulbs and a 3 position switch allowing off, one, or both bulbs on.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:23 AM   #124

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I find that the replaceable led discs/plates run real hot as they are not attached to a heat sink. We will see how long they last. I like that you can select one or both sides.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #125

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
My neighbor received a new 19 one month ago, and yes, it was constructed using pancake lights with replaceable bulbs. They’re really nice, too. The larger ones have two bulbs and a 3 position switch allowing off, one, or both bulbs on.
Would it be possible to post a picture of the new fixture?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #126

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Pat: We are talking about just the newer LED lights that have the diodes hardwired in. You should be fine and can ultimately replace any bulbs if needed. The good news is that it sounds like Escape went back to lights where a bulb can be swapped. I believe this issue is only affecting trailers 2017-2018.
Thanks Dave ! Good to know .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #127

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
In a previous post I mentioned I was going to try an inline resistor. This would have to be installed in each fixture by unsoldering the power lead and soldering in the resistor between the power lead and the pcb. Not a great solution, but may be of interest to some on the forum.

Quick summary of the results is that a 5 ohm resistor will reduce brightness by about 10% at 12Vdc, but will also reduce power dissipation in the current limit to a value at 14 Vdc that is similar the stock value at 12Vdc.

I don't have a light meter so I used a phone app to measure lux. The absolute values won't mean much but are probably ok for comparison purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Resistor inline with LED lighting module.jpeg  
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #128

Trailer: None now
If anyone is interested here is how the two that were not protected by installing a DC-DC boost buck converter were done. I repaired 3 of the bad boards and added the regulator to them too.

A L7812 regulator and a 1N4007 diode were used to prevent voltage from rising above 12v. The positive lead was lifted from the board and attached to the regulator. A diode was used to protect against possible reversed voltages. If you do add the diode you could jumper the D1 diode on the board to eliminate the voltage drop since it is no longer needed. Common was soldered to the negative connection and Vout from the regulator was soldered to the positive connection on the board. The L7812 does not need a capacitor added across the positive and negative connection to prevent pulsing of the LEDs. If you use a regulator with a lower voltage drop it may need it so it is shown in the drawing. Tom from Texas used a different regulator so he has the parts needed in his post. Thermal tape was used to attach the regulator to the heatsink. ( Thanks Tom ! ) It had to be sanded and cleaned with acetone to remove whatever was on it so the tape would stick.

This is one that had 3 LEDs replaced. They were flickering so 3 good ones from another board were used to replace them. 3 boards were repaired that way. Can you tell which 3 LEDs on the board were replaced?

The removed LEDs should have been saved to test as odds are only one in each bank was actually bad. Since they were wired in series they act like Christmas tree lights used to. One failure affects the other 2.

Edit, that reflection in the heatshield was the sky. It became a toad strangler shortly afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
light.jpg   modified led light.jpg  
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 PM   #129

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I remembered that I did a 27 hour smoke test at 14.55 volts of my favourite LED COB bulbs that I use in most of my modified lights.

Today I did a test and found that the voltage to the COB is regulated to 9.7 volts with an input voltage ranging from 11 to 15.5.

Not bad for a $2 bulb from China.
Attached Thumbnails
6780C9D1-593D-4380-87CD-0D73C34A0E30.jpg   D6FFFA8E-C199-44F4-AC16-98BEA30DA7D5.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:31 AM   #130

LED dome lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I forgot about the separate fuse for the fridge control board. That would be the place to install a small voltage stabilizer if it needs one and leave the 20/30 amp circuit as it is.

edit: Ed (Eggscape) types faster than I do! That wire is definitely the place to do it.

So what size converter would be right to protect just the circuit board in the fridge, and should it be boost/buck or just buck?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #131

Quote:
So what size converter would be right to protect just the circuit board in the fridge, and should it be boost/buck or just buck?
I would use a boost buck - it would keep the fridge going even if the battery went a little low. A 6 amp should be plenty.

Do a search for 12v voltage stabilizer - below is an example:
https://www.ebay.com/p/8-40v-to-12v-...7200522&chn=ps

Keep in mind - we don't know if a voltage stabilizer is needed for the fridge control board. If it can handle the higher voltages from a solar charger, I would leave it alone.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #132

Quote:
I would use a boost buck - it would keep the fridge going even if the battery went a little low. A 6 amp should be plenty.

Do a search for 12v voltage stabilizer - below is an example:
https://www.ebay.com/p/8-40v-to-12v-...7200522&chn=ps

Keep in mind - we don't know if a voltage stabilizer is needed for the fridge control board. If it can handle the higher voltages from a solar charger, I would leave it alone.

The manual for our Dometic RM2554 fridge says voltage range is 9.5-15V. We routinely exceed 15V while charging with our solar system. I’ll be looking into voltage stabilization at 12V!
Old 01-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #133

Quote:
The manual for our Dometic RM2554 fridge says voltage range is 9.5-15V. We routinely exceed 15V while charging with our solar system. I’ll be looking into voltage stabilization at 12V!
Oh well, I guess I will need one too as my solar charger routinely goes up to 15.3v and 15.6v when equalizing. Between modifying the LED lighting, adding voltage stabilizers to the fridge and Maxxfan, what else? Oh, I have a very expensive power awning that runs on 12v. I guess that will be the next research project.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #134

Trailer: None
@tdf-texas: As I mentioned earlier, why wouldn't you just switch to gel batteries and stop using those high voltages? It seems preferable to adapting all of the 12VDC devices to an 11V-16V range. Or one might even revert to flooded batteries and turn off the DC panel when equalizing, which shouldn't be done very often in any event. It all seems more like an excuse to tinker (nothing wrong with that - I am gutting all of my compact fluorescents and installing LEDs instead). For those that aren't EEs or technicians it would certainly be better.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
@tdf-texas: As I mentioned earlier, why wouldn't you just switch to gel batteries and stop using those high voltages? It seems preferable to adapting all of the 12VDC devices to an 11V-16V range. Or one might even revert to flooded batteries and turn off the DC panel when equalizing, which shouldn't be done very often in any event. It all seems more like an excuse to tinker (nothing wrong with that - I am gutting all of my compact fluorescents and installing LEDs instead). For those that aren't EEs or technicians it would certainly be better.
Two Interstate AGM GC2 batteries are going to cost about $360. My current batteries are only two years old and not due for replacement. Interstate recommends the absorption voltage for gel as 14.46 volts so that is still too high for the LED lighting and borderline for the Maxxfan.

Now, all the mods to the electrical will cost less than $100, let me keep my current batteries, and resolve the high voltage issue. To me, this is a no brainer.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #136

Quote:
Two Interstate AGM GC2 batteries are going to cost about $360. My current batteries are only two years old and not due for replacement. Interstate recommends the absorption voltage for gel as 14.46 volts so that is still too high for the LED lighting and borderline for the Maxxfan.

Now, all the mods to the electrical will cost less than $100, let me keep my current batteries, and resolve the high voltage issue. To me, this is a no brainer.

Also, a solution that involves having to shut off the DC completely every time solar goes into absorption stage is a non-starter solution.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #137

Quote:
Would it be possible to post a picture of the new fixture?

Here you go
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	36456
Old 01-17-2019, 03:39 PM   #138

Good news, looks like Escape went back to their replaceable bulb units, maybe similar to the 2014-2016 models.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #139

Perhaps we can now address the MaxxFan issue so that the deluxe model will come back. Not sure if their issue is the over voltage one like the lights or change in ownership via the Lippert/Dometic merger and quality control.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:51 PM   #140

Quote:
Here you go
Attachment 36456
Ok, I'm stumped. Who makes these? The closest I could find has two switches.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-LED-12v-....c100005.m1851
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg