portable grill recomendations - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 11:39 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Well not a gas option, but this fall at the Quincy, CA fiberglass rally, I was introduced to the Cobb Grill. Watched my neighbor grill a chicken with 8 briquets one night, two pork roasts with 14 briquets the next night and in between she baked rolls, a pie and grilled vegetables. The bought mine as soon as I got home and have not fired up my gas bbq since. The Cobb is light weight, comes in a carrying case, compact in size and easy to clean. Fits into a cupboard at home and easily stores in the trailer. Guess you can say, I am a big fan. Check it out on YouTube.
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:51 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary LG View Post
Well not a gas option, but this fall at the Quincy, CA fiberglass rally, I was introduced to the Cobb Grill. Watched my neighbor grill a chicken with 8 briquets one night, two pork roasts with 14 briquets the next night and in between she baked rolls, a pie and grilled vegetables. The bought mine as soon as I got home and have not fired up my gas bbq since. The Cobb is light weight, comes in a carrying case, compact in size and easy to clean. Fits into a cupboard at home and easily stores in the trailer. Guess you can say, I am a big fan. Check it out on YouTube.
Sounds like our likes , lightweight , easy to clean and most important cooks excellent ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:18 AM   #23

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
cobb grill

$477 CA plus shipping on amazon Canada. Ouch.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:28 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have been using the Cobb for about 8 years now. I thought they stopped making them and bought a case of briquets. It is a slow cooker but the results are juicy, make my Escape rally pot luck entree on it in 2014.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I will not debate that food cooked over charcoal tastes somewhat better than that which is cooked over has. However, my problem with the Cobb grill is that I cannot light charcoal by turning a knob and pressing a button, and I cannot extinguish it by turning a knob. That knob also regulates the heat output to a degree. I also don’t have to transport a dirty, dusty addition fuel source when I already have propane. It is simply more work and more effort to cook over charcoal than it is propane, for what I perceive as a marginal improvement in the end product. I do not see the added effort as a worthwhile investment. Others here obviously fell differently.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree that charcoal taste has it's limitations, that is why I stopped carrying the Cobb and use it only at home. I too like the convenience of propane cooking but not the idea of exposing the product to propane gas while cooking. I finally found a small griddle, propane and cast iron combo that allow me to cook my favorite foods.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1341.jpg   IMG_1345.jpg   IMG_1347.jpg  
Old 12-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have the same Blackstone grill, love it. Never use the BBQ now.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Charcoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I will not debate that food cooked over charcoal tastes somewhat better than that which is cooked over has. However, my problem with the Cobb grill is that I cannot light charcoal by turning a knob and pressing a button, and I cannot extinguish it by turning a knob. That knob also regulates the heat output to a degree. I also don’t have to transport a dirty, dusty addition fuel source when I already have propane. It is simply more work and more effort to cook over charcoal than it is propane, for what I perceive as a marginal improvement in the end product. I do not see the added effort as a worthwhile investment. Others here obviously fell differently.
I think that’s a pretty complete assessment. I used nothing but charcoal for many years and then went to a gas grill. My son and two son in laws are split. One on gas, one on charcoal and Todd prefers the pellet grill. I used to like to buy a 20 oz. sirloin, start an oak campfire and burn it down to coals and cook my steak in a wire basket or right on the coals. That steak and a six pack was a Friday night staple all fall till it got uncomfortably cold or too windy to cook. To each his ( or her) own. We really like the Weber Q but haul a camp chef Everest with us too. If I can’t get Bennett’s French toast, I gotta make my own.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
$477 CA plus shipping on amazon Canada. Ouch.
Wow Hugh, that's high. I got mine, US, on Amazon, for about $160. This was the basic unit with no extra attachments. it can get pricey if you go for all the attachments. I've roasted, baked, grilled on it so far. Probably use it once a week.

Also, I put my briquets in a small plastic bin to keep the mess down.

And, yes, it does not cook as quickly as other methods, but when camping, I don't care. I do care that the food comes out delicious. Once I got the hang of using the Cobb, it is a set it and forget it style of cooking. I can put it on and go do other things.
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary LG View Post
Wow Hugh, that's high. I got mine, US, on Amazon, for about $160. This was the basic unit with no extra attachments. it can get pricey if you go for all the attachments. I've roasted, baked, grilled on it so far. Probably use it once a week.

Also, I put my briquets in a small plastic bin to keep the mess down.

And, yes, it does not cook as quickly as other methods, but when camping, I don't care. I do care that the food comes out delicious. Once I got the hang of using the Cobb, it is a set it and forget it style of cooking. I can put it on and go do other things.
Unfortunately, our Canadian friends get ripped off by Amazon in many cases (hope that doesn't border on political commentary). If you look at Amazon Canada's website, the prices are generally (significantly) higher and if the order from Amazon US the shipping charges border on highway robbery. IMHO, "it ain't right."
Old 12-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #31

Trailer: 2005 Rockwood 8240ss
Grill choice

My favorite is green mtn grill. I have the small 12v model, it works great and can be used as an outdoor oven. All the propane ones I used would burn the meat, even on low setting. The ability to hold a precise temp. Means no worrying about too hot or cold, how much time should I cook. Set it, time it or use food prob that comes with it. Done right every time.
FFPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Unfortunately, our Canadian friends get ripped off by Amazon in many cases (hope that doesn't border on political commentary). If you look at Amazon Canada's website, the prices are generally (significantly) higher and if the order from Amazon US the shipping charges border on highway robbery. IMHO, "it ain't right."
You just have to be a smart shopper. I buy off of amazon.ca all the time, getting good deals, often better than shopping at amazon.com and paying the exchange rate. There are definitely a few items that are stupid priced, and it is easy to tell when doing competitive shopping.

Shipping charges to Canada are sometimes reasonable, but as you say most often cross the border of highway robbery. Free shipping in the US, exorbitant to Canada. Not only that, but add in the ridiculous brokerage fees some like UPS charges. USPS is always favoured if possible, as they just add a flat $10 fee to the shipping. What is better yet, is if you can find a good fellow to bring stuff to you in Canada. I once saved $400 on stuff doing this, thanks again Carl.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPaul View Post
All the propane ones I used would burn the meat, even on low setting.
Which is why I bought my Napoleon. It has two burners so you can cook indirect, like a whole chicken over the unlit side and regulate the heat on the side with the burner lit.
I complement it with a butane stove and have three burner range in the trailer for backup.
Attached Thumbnails
chicken napoleon - 1.jpg   Camp kitchen.jpg  
Old 12-22-2017, 05:37 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Shipping charges to Canada are sometimes reasonable, but as you say most often cross the border of highway robbery.
I sent an email to a US company asking where I could buy a bait cup for their rat trap, since mine got chewed up by something.
They sent me a replacement for free, but the postage for them, from Ohio was $9.50 US ( which is what I paid for the whole trap here ).
Old 12-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #35

I have never had trouble burning meat on a propane BBQ. Steaks, sausages, burgers, etc, can all go on the grill with no troubles. Larger things like chickens or even chicken parts do much better with a grilling stone under them, as does stuff like fish. An indirect method like baglo uses with the Napoleon works good too, but not very many small grills offer two burners like that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #36

The Napoleon is the only two-burner portable that I've found, and some might debate that it is portable. It rides in the aisle in my 17B.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The Napoleon is the only two-burner portable that I've found, and some might debate that it is portable. It rides in the aisle in my 17B.
Is the regulator on it removable so it could be converted to low pressure if one desired?

I assume this is the one you have, correct?
https://www.napoleongrills.com/grill...le#description
Old 12-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #38

I don't know about the regulator since I use a 10 lb. bottle. I'm guessing it could be, because the controls for the burners are separate.
This is mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 4.16.57 PM.png  
Old 12-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #39

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never had trouble burning meat on a propane BBQ. Steaks, sausages, burgers, etc, can all go on the grill with no troubles. Larger things like chickens or even chicken parts do much better with a grilling stone under them, as does stuff like fish. An indirect method like baglo uses with the Napoleon works good too, but not very many small grills offer two burners like that.
First I've heard of a grilling stone. Other then being porous, is it any different then a cast iron skillet?
Old 12-22-2017, 07:06 PM   #40

Found this while searching for a portable with a side burner.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 5.04.44 PM.png