Propane Quick Connect troubles? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2019, 07:10 PM   #81

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
"Thank you for your email. You can connect the COVENT to a quick connect supply as long as it is regulated at low pressure. Here are the links to the adapter and the hose that you would need to do so."

https://www.campchef.com/rv-hose-to-...e-adapter.html
RV Hose to Disposable Adapter - Camp Chef

https://www.campchef.com/rv-connection-hose.html
RV connection hose - Camp Chef
Good confirmation of exactly the parts and arrangement that we discussed back in post #66.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:16 PM   #82

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Nothing to do with operation on the quick-connect, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I wish they sold the oven without the burners but may find myself glad of them later.
If you're looking at alternatives, you might want to consider the Professional Outdoor Oven (COVENT), because it has a thermostatic oven control (as well has much higher oven burner power).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #83

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Nothing to do with operation on the quick-connect, but...

If you're looking at alternatives, you might want to consider the Professional Outdoor Oven (COVENT), because it has a thermostatic oven control (as well has much higher oven burner power).
Brian, because of the reviews, the COVENT is the only model I'm considering, though with the burners added atop, it's heavy, tall, and rather unwieldy. That said, I may get comfortable doing all of my cooking outdoors - most assuredly will on the hottest of summer days.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #84

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Ava,
Aren't you just supposed to dig a pit and build a fire?
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #85

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Ava,
Aren't you just supposed to dig a pit and build a fire?
Glenn, I'll happily leave that to you and all the other die-hard folks … but will happily bring wieners and marshmallows to the party!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:40 PM   #86

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Ross, my wife absolutely loves our range, and as a result so do I, as I get to enjoy all the great things she bakes in it.

Yes, we can bake in the BBQ outside, and have many times in the past, but that becomes my job.

For the most part I used this pigtail on my appliances, as it stows nice and is handy for connection too. Though not the best prices, Tejas Smokers offers lots of great LP hoses. You can easily pick up just a nipple too. Click on photos for links..

I used this 90° flare fitting mounted right to the stove to aim the connection to the rear of the stove for better storage.

Jim- am sure you guys love that oven, yet that is not the ETI optional oven now is it? That one I would give up storage space for!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #87

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
I used this 90° flare fitting mounted right to the stove to aim the connection to the rear of the stove for better storage.

[/QUOTE]

I just ordered 2 of these, one for the stove and one for the BBQ, just what I was looking for. I'm going to keep using the existing hoses just because I don't want to buy new ones again.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 12:46 AM   #88

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
To summarize what I've read here and what I know about supplying propane to outdoor camping appliances:

1. Propane tanks, whether the little 1 pound bottles or all the way up to the 20 or 30 pound tanks on RVs, contain liquid propane as well as vaporized propane gas at perhaps 100-250 pounds per square inch of pressure, depending on the temperature of the atmosphere surrounding the tank.

2. Stoves and other propane appliances cannot run on 100psi+ high pressure propane right out of the tank or bottle. A regulator is the device that reduces this high pressure down to a lower pressure needed to run the appliances.

3. Depending on their particular design, burners in appliances need propane gas supplied at around 15 psi (high pressure appliances) or around .4psi (low pressure appliances). The .4 low pressure is equivalent to about 11 inches of water column, another measure of propane pressure).

4. There are different kinds of regulators. Some attach directly to the propane bottle or tank and then supply propane gas at a reduced pressure to the appliance through a hose or piping. Other regulators attach, not to the tank or bottle but to the appliance itself. For instance, your typical Coleman propane stove has the regulator built into the short flexible rubber (old style) or rigid metal (last 25 years) hose/pipe that connects the propane bottle to the stove. That's why the optional long rubber Coleman adapter hose run to a Coleman stove from a BBQ propane tank hooks up to the regulator at the stove, not directly to the stove itself: that's propane at 100-250psi in the hose.

5. On the other hand, some regulators fasten to the propane source tank instead of to the stove. RVs always have regulators attached to their tanks because they have long runs of pipes or tubing to their stoves, furnaces, hot water heaters and exterior quick-connect. You don't want propane at 100-250psi running through all these lines for various reasons we don't need to go into here but which you can imagine.

6. So if you're trying to run an appliance outside your camper from the rig's propane quick connect, you need to realize that it's being supplied propane that's already had its pressure reduce by the regulator at the tank. Most RV regulators reduce the propane pressure to .4psi (11 inches of water column).

7. So there are two reasons why some exterior stoves won't work right if they are connected to the RV's exterior quick connect: a) you can't hook up to the stove directly without going through the regulator fastened to the stove, or b) the stove is designed to work with propane at a somewhat higher pressure, in many cases such as Coleman stoves, around 15psi. In either case, you may get a bit of propane and flame, but not enough to do anything with it.

8. SO, to successfully use an exterior propane BBQ, campfire, or other appliance from the RV's quick connect you need to confirm your appliance: a) is designed for propane supplied at .4psi, b) can connect the hose from the quick connect directly to the appliance without going through another regulator, and c) has flame height adjustments built into the stove itself and not into the stove's regulator that you removed to connect the supply directly.

9. Once you've figured this out, you're on your way to make one of two choices. You can order your RV with a quick connect, long hose, proper adapters, and buy a stove that's compatible. OR you can purchase a separate 5, 10, or 20 lb. refillable propane tank and just use that.

10. There's actually a third choice for appliances that use those disposable 1 lb. cylinders. Flame King sells honest-to-god refillable 1 lb. cylinders. They're a bit spendy and take a special Flame King device to refill them, but in the long run they are handy and economical.

11. I have gone on way to long in this post so I thank you for reading all the way through. I also recognize that I'm no propane expert and may have said something inaccurate or unclear. So chime in if you have more or better information.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:06 AM   #89

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Jim- am sure you guys love that oven, yet that is not the ETI optional oven now is it? That one I would give up storage space for!
Yeah, Escape does not offer it, but will install the Dickinson stove. It was not hard to do for me building my own galley, but would be tough on a factory one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:46 AM   #90

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Scott- is the built-in RV oven really all that great? We too have a Camp Chef portable oven with two burner cooktop and love it. Recently with an unusual amount of wind we set it inside, opened windows & vents and it worked great. Meantime we prefer more counter space and storage sans built-in oven.

Hi, Ross! Sorry for the tardy reply. We just got a boat! And so I have been greatly preoccupied with that endeavor of late.

We’ve been very happy with the factory oven, with a couple of caveats.

First, when we initially got ours we stored our spices along the convenient counter strip space behind cook top, not realizing that’s where the oven vents heat. All the glass containers were ok, but all the plastic ones were severely disfigured. Lesson learned and spices were relocated.

Second gripe with the oven is the pilot light. It can be tricky to find the first few times. And do not turn the oven off until you’re sure that you definitely do not need to relight it! Relighting a hot oven is very much like that old game, Operation, except with actual burn marks when you touch the hot insides of the oven.

When the oven isn’t being used for cooking it’s used for storage, so it’s not a total loss of storage space for us.

Overall we’re much happier with the factory oven than our old Camp Chef, and I don’t think we’d consider another RV without a built-in oven.

Our old, but new-to-us boat even has an oven. It doesn’t work yet. But I’m working on it. Fixed the radar today though! Hmm... I wonder if one could cook microwave popcorn with that?