Refrigerator not cooling on the road - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Re: Refrigerator not cooling on the road

Jon,
If your flame sometimes blows out, does it continually keep trying to ignite until it does? Is this a problem later on, will you wear out the igniter after hours of tying? Or does it shut out after awhile and stops trying to light? Thanks for any info.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

For what it's worth, when ours did that the ignition would click indefinitely. We once didn't realize it had happened, parked at night, and came out the next day to clicking.

& Dovekie the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Now that I think about it, I believe the fridge in our 19 is indeed the 6.7, not the 5.0 as previously stated. I guess I was remembering the one we had in our 17. Sorry for any inconvenience <g>. Still , we haven't had any problems so far.

Doug
Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

To add fuel to the fire, I have this model as well (RM2510) and have had issues with the gasket. It tore and the metal magentic strip slid out. Unfortunately, I purchased four months after Dometic changed their warranty from three years to two years. $160 US for a new gasket, at this time I am trying some DipIt, the product used to coat the grips in your pliers, looks OK so far.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye

So far, it is now working as it should. The flame still sometimes blows out while driving, but it starts cooling when ever I stop or even slow down. One point - one of the problems with it relighting while driving was the end of the spark lighter was closer to the thermocouple than the gas jet. It would sometimes light, but usually there wasn't enough spark getting to the burner to start it.
Jon,

Thanks very much for your helpful response. The flame blowing out theory is starting to look pretty good. We noticed that the manual says the flame will reignite if it blows out.

We're curious, though, how can you tell that the flame is blowing out? It seems that by the time you would get back in the camper to check it, the clicking of the reignition would already be over.

Have you been able to come up with a solution to prevent the flame from blowing out?

Thanks.

Jay and Liz
Old 08-20-2012, 07:43 PM   #16
Site Team

This must be the 5 c/f Dometic model everyone is having issues with, is it not?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

gee, we have just lately started travelling with the propane on-(no issues so far)-we have the smaller 3.3 model in our 17--knock on wood (we are heading out on a three week trip) but it sure keeps things frozen while on the road--last weekend we were on propane all weekend and my frozen veggies stayed exactly the same (although the penny idea is a good one--I'll try it first time out in a couple weeks to make sure it is staying lit)

We did have the little tube from the freezer break and the RV shop quoted $65 plus shipping to get the repair kit--some clear plastic tubing we already had from a wine kit and a copper elbow fixed it for $1.27!!!

Other than that no issues and I was wishing we had the bigger fridge, but now--I'll take the car plug in cooler if I need more room!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I am starting to get worried about mine now with all these problems! Seems like the 5.0 might be a real lemon model. Someone posted on a thread about this place that has supposedly very high quality replacement cooling units : http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/StoreFront I guess I better keep it as a bookmark.....

Eric

SAE Towing Standard "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #19
Site Team

Over on the Lance trailer forums we had issues with the flame going out while towing. It seems the lower vent allows too much air, some members installed baffles behind the screen to keep the pilot light on. I installed one of these behind my exterior cover, properly sized (they come in a variety of sizes) and it seemed to allow my Lance refer to stay lighted. In addition it has a screen to keep bugs out. I was planning on doing this to my Escape over the winter, installing the screen vents on both the upper and lower openings. This may be a fix that will allow the pilots to stay on while traveling. I'm going to try it only for the bug reasons as my pilot has remained on. If you decide, please check with Reace first for his opinion. It will cut down on turbulence and I do not see where it would hinder the air flow by adding the interior screen vent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big.jpg (7.3 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01110.JPG (72.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 (jim)
Over on the Lance trailer forums we had issues with the flame going out while towing. It seems the lower vent allows too much air, some members installed baffles behind the screen to keep the pilot light on. I installed one of these behind my exterior cover, properly sized (they come in a variety of sizes) and it seemed to allow my Lance refer to stay lighted. In addition it has a screen to keep bugs out. I was planning on doing this to my Escape over the winter, installing the screen vents on both the upper and lower openings. This may be a fix that will allow the pilots to stay on while traveling. I'm going to try it only for the bug reasons as my pilot has remained on. If you decide, please check with Reace first for his opinion. It will cut down on turbulence and I do not see where it would hinder the air flow by adding the interior screen vent.
How helpful you have all been! It would never have occurred to us that the flame could be blowing out on the road and subsequently relighting itself later! We presumed (wrongly) that if it was blowing out, we'd encounter the clicking of re-ignition attempts when we next went into the camper.

to cpaharley (certified public accountant?), the baffle seems like a possible fix, although I am having trouble understanding your second photo. Could you post a link to the product? We are in touch with Reace about our fridge issue now that he is back. Maybe we'll all learn something together about the 5.0 refrigerators. It might be that not cooling on the road is happening to more refrigerators than recognized, since I bet many people don't monitor the fridge temps with a thermometer. --Liz