Reinforced walls for 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
reinforce walls Q&A from ETI email with regard to 2017 Escape 19
1. Are there 4 or 5 walls that can be reinforced? There are actually 6 walls that can be reinforce: 1) between kitchen and bed 2) between bed and fridge 3) between fridge and wardrobe 4, 5, 6) all three sides of the bathroom
2. How are they identified (numbered?) for the purpose of requesting the reinforcing? You can tell us the location of the wall, we will number it. The purpose of reinforcing a wall is if you want to hang things on the walls. However, unless it is something heavier, like jackets or spice rack, for example, it is not necessarily needed. We do ensure that our additions, like counter extensions, TV mounts, are mounted on a stud.
3. What is the cost to reinforce each wall? The cost is $100/wall. It also adds 25 pounds to the trailer weight for each reinforced wall.
4. What exactly is the reinforcing material/ method? The reinforced wall is simply a solid sheet of plywood within inside the wall.
5. If its plywood what is its thickness? It is ½
6. I have heard it is some additional plywood installed in a wall but not the entire wall floor to ceiling. Is that true or false? No, the entire wall would be reinforced
7. Can you provide a picture of a non-reinforced wall interior versus one that is reinforced to better understand what it is? I would easily understand without a picture if it was a solid sheet of plywood floor to ceiling replacing one of the fake wall stick/veneer structures
currently in the trailer. We do not have pictures of the open walls that are reinforced.
Our cost was 25 per wall and it is not 1/2 in and true it does not go ceiling to floor . Whatever they are doing , I would still have my 3 walls I did in 19 done . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #22

Trailer: pondering.....
planning on 3 walls ...Kitchen/Bed wall, Bed/Fridge wall, and bathroom/dinette wall

At the very least the Kitchen/Bed reinforcement may provide additional vertical support floor to ceiling for the new awing roof structure
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #23

Quote:
planning on 3 walls ...Kitchen/Bed wall, Bed/Fridge wall, and bathroom/dinette wall
Same 3 we had reenforced . Pat
Old 02-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
As Tom said doesn't add much weight . Pat

I said that last month. Don't drag me back into this conversation again. I'm staying out of wall reinforcement, tire replacement and WDH conversations for a while.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I said that last month. Don't drag me back into this conversation again. I'm staying out of wall reinforcement, tire replacement and WDH conversations for a while.
I hear you Tom . Pat
Old 02-07-2017, 12:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
ok, I won't ..... consider yourself undragged...
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Thanks!!!!
mquirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #28

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:

5. If its plywood what is its thickness? It is ½

7. Can you provide a picture of a non-reinforced wall interior versus one that is reinforced to better understand what it is? I would easily understand without a picture if it was a solid sheet of plywood floor to ceiling replacing one of the fake wall stick/veneer structures
currently in the trailer. We do not have pictures of the open walls that are reinforced. I did manage to find a picture of one of the trailers while in production. It is the standard wall with the braces and the wood paneling. The paneling is actual wood, 1/8 thick.
I've heard Escape uses 1x2 studs inside the walls. If that's true, then there should be a 3/4" gap between the walls since that is the actual width of 1x2s. It's curious to me that they use 1/2" plywood instead of 3/4" since it implies that there is a 1/4" gap somewhere, presumably on the non-finished side, or perhaps they just eliminate the framing if you get reinforced walls, giving you an extra 1/4" of space inside.

Can you post the picture that ETI gave you please?
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Keep in mind a sheet of 3/4" plywood weighs almost 70#

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #30

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I've heard Escape uses 1x2 studs inside the walls. If that's true, then there should be a 3/4" gap between the walls since that is the actual width of 1x2s. It's curious to me that they use 1/2" plywood instead of 3/4" since it implies that there is a 1/4" gap somewhere, presumably on the non-finished side, or perhaps they just eliminate the framing if you get reinforced walls, giving you an extra 1/4" of space inside.

Can you post the picture that ETI gave you please?
ETI provided a pic of a non-reinforced wall..which is the same as many in this thread (and some may be reinforced but not sure)
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...yond-8031.html
it is interesting that in post #45 there is a pic of the wall between fridge and bed with all kinds of stuff mounted on it and the buyer said in a previous post it was not a reinforced wall per post #17...also in previous pics of same trailer the inside of that wall is visible and it does not appear to have 1x2 structure visible but it doesn't mean it isn't there (perhaps an inside plywood veneer too).
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquirk View Post
ok, I won't ..... consider yourself undragged...
You would have to had been there... It was a joke, but thanks
Old 02-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Keep in mind a sheet of 3/4" plywood weighs almost 70#
Since there are 6 walls than can be reinforced then 6 × 70 lbs = 420 lbs assuming they actually use 6 whole sheets of 3/4" plywood . I would believe that far less than 6 sheets of plywood are actually used and the total weight will be far less than 420 lbs. Depending on the number of walls and which walls are reinforced the added weight could go from insignificant to significant. I can't imagine the added weight of reinforcing one or two walls would be of concern unless one is towing right at their tow limit. Since adding reinforcementioned after the fact is not possible , it would be nice to know what each separate wall reinforcement actually weighs .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:00 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Since adding reinforcementioned after the fact is not possible , it would be nice to know what each separate wall reinforcement actually weighs .
Please post that when you have it calculated.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Some reinforcing is done in the top half and stops further down.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #35

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Please post that when you have it calculated.
I am working on it as we speak . I promise you will be the first to know .
It's going to take a while since I only have 10 fingers for counting so be patient .

Best Wishes
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:09 PM   #36

reinforced walls for 19

Quote:
Same 3 we had reenforced . Pat
found a couple of pictures how they did our walls in 2013 on the 19. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00047.JPG   DSC00048.JPG  
Old 02-09-2017, 02:31 PM   #37

I contacted ETI to get more information on the reinforced wall pywood thickness and position since I'm getting one of these and I wanted to know exacly how much space I would have for screws without puncturing the fiberglass bathroom enclosure. This is a quote from Tammy:

"The bathroom wall is framed with 1x2 studs. In between the studs there is 3/4" plywood. There is a zero air gap."
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I contacted ETI to get more information on the reinforced wall pywood thickness and position since I'm getting one of these and I wanted to know exacly how much space I would have for screws without puncturing the fiberglass bathroom enclosure. This is a quote from Tammy:

"The bathroom wall is framed with 1x2 studs. In between the studs there is 3/4" plywood. There is a zero air gap."
as you can see ours was different when installed . we were told to not go through more then 3/8 or 1/2 in ,with our screws . Everything is still hanging . I usually just used 1/2 in . Looks like they are reenforcing different now . I still think it is worth it however they do it . Pat
Old 02-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #39

Quote:
as you can see ours was different when installed . we were told to not go through more then 3/8 or 1/2 in ,with our screws . Everything is still hanging . I usually just used 1/2 in . Looks like they are reenforcing different now . I still think it is worth it however they do it . Pat
To be fair when we had it done in 2013 , it was a request we had to get approved first . I don't believe it was common . And like everything the more you do something , you make it better and make changes . Now more want this option . Pat
Old 02-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #40

Quote:
I'm not really clear on what those pictures are showing. What is clear is that the reinforced walls in the picture have studs, presumably 1x2 studs. Since 1x2's are 3/4" thick, any 1/2" plywood would be almost as thick visually. The finished side covering appears to be very thin, so I think that's the 1/8" luan. On the other side there is some kind of wood covering that doesn't go down to the floor. Is that the 1/2" plywood? It looks quite a bit thinner to me than the 3/4" studs, but maybe it's the lighting.

Whatever the case, what they are doing now with insetting 3/4" plywood makes more sense to me because if they were covering the studs with 1/2" plywood then they would have had to custom change the cabinetry to make up for the extra 1/2" per reinforced wall. By putting plywood inside the stud volume, they can keep standard dimensions throughout the trailer. I'm curious how they fasten the plywood to the studs now. Perhaps glue?