Solar Monitor Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
I looked again at the rear panel and noticed that there was writing, which I couldn't read upside down; so I used my digital camera to take a closeup picture, see below, which I could read. Then it was clear that it had switched from 12 to 24 V operation, switching back fixed it.
Then during travel, stuff we store under that dinette seat must have bumped the DIP switch #1 to OFF instead of ON.
Okay, one switch down ... four to go.
It looks like whatever pushed DIP switch 1 may have pushed down more switches. The charge program for switches 2-3-4 in the OFF-OFF-OFF combination doesn't look likely to be correct. Maybe one of the owners who has looked into charging voltages will have a suggestion for the setting to match your batteries, which I assume are the optional Escape dual 6-volt package.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Okay, one switch down ... four to go.
It looks like whatever pushed DIP switch 1 may have pushed down more switches. The charge program for switches 2-3-4 in the OFF-OFF-OFF combination doesn't look likely to be correct. Maybe one of the owners who has looked into charging voltages will have a suggestion for the setting to match your batteries, which I assume are the optional Escape dual 6-volt package.
That's right. If you have the dual 6V Interstates, the recommended dip switch positions would be (from 1 through 4) ON-ON-ON-OFF. That'll supposedly provide 15V bulk charge on the Interstates, which is just slightly below their recommendation. Dip switch 5 in the ON position means the equalization is set automatically by the charge controller. Turn it off and it will use the equalization voltage specified in the reference chart for 15V. Not knowing what the auto-selected equalization voltage is, I would probably go with manual voltage selection by turning dip switch 5 to OFF. That will provide 15.3V equalization, which would be spot on for the Interstate 6V batteries.

So, according to the manufacturer at least, the recommended dip switch positions for 15V bulk charge with manual equlization charge of 15.3V are:

ON-ON-ON-OFF-OFF

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 09-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
With the controller installed in storage spaces this can be an issue. I always disliked the openness of the accessory 12v outlets ETI installed, very easy to short out the circuit if some metallic item shift during travel. I asked Charlie @ widget to look into make some sort of plastic backs for these areas but it was not fruitful. I'm going to install plastic electrical boxes around mine and protect the controller with some sort of backing.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B "MATT"
Dual 6 volt Interstates call for absorption @ 14.46V, float @ 13.38V, and equalization @ 15.6V, thus my question about what the battery setup is. If this were my controller I'd go with ON ON OFF OFF ON for the closest to Interstate's recommendations. If he has dual 6 Interstates...
Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always disliked the openness of the accessory 12v outlets ETI installed, very easy to short out the circuit if some metallic item shift during travel.
Funny to hear you say that. When filling out my build sheet, I thought about adding some 12v outlets but after looking at the way they are installed, I passed. I will add some outlet boxes where needed and then install 12v outlets in them.
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Ok, I need to check and set these DIP switches and Robert and Scott have different responses for DIP #3 and DIP #5. We have the Interstate 6v's so which is correct for DIP #3 and DIP #5
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 17B "MATT"
None of your available choices are exactly right. The charging voltages I've listed are those that Interstate recommends. You'll have to make a judgment call.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #18

It looks like reading the Samlex manual switch 2,3,4 shows ON,OFF,OFF for Flooded battery type and the ON,ON,OFF shows for AGM L-16 battery type.
I guess I'll go with the flooded switch setting since only difference looks to be in the Absorbtion stage 14.6 vs 15.0
Old 09-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
now I'm confused?? which is it for the stock 6v ETI package, flooded Interstates direct from the ETI factory install??
Old 09-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #20

Jim,
Just looked at Interstate charging specs and it looks like they are:
Absorption:14.7 Float; 13.2 Equalize: 15.3
DIP #2,3,4, set to ON-OFF-OFF will yield Absorption: 14.46 Float;13.4 Equalize:15.6
As Scott says, none are perfect, but if I'm reading everything correctly this one seems the closest.

Update: Looks like in this previous post Optimum charging voltages for 6V GC2 batteries
They are saying the absorption rate for the G2 Interstate batteries is 15.3, so it gets even more confusing. The L-16 AGM settings may actually be closer for the G2's.