Split water hose in bathroom - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
Split water hose in bathroom

So, has anyone else had this problem? Or am I just the only "lucky" one out there?

Sunday evening I was relaxing on the dinette after having cleaned up with a nice shower. Heard this loud boom/bang and then water gushing like crazy. What the *)#$#*$#$#

Discovered water gushing along the wall under the sink. Turned off the water at the outside faucet (and the electric water heater). Water inside stopped. Mopped up the walls and all that. Used the squeegee to get all the water down the floor drain.

Felt around the hoses. Neither of them had come off their connection point, however the hot water hose (next to the outside wall) had split near the top and on the wall side (therefore any photos would be pointless).

Fortunately my shower was over with. Fortunately it was at the tail end of my trip as I was heading home the next day. Fortunately I was IN the trailer when it happened. Fortunately I had multiple gallons of water with me in jugs for drinking and "just in case" situations. Like this!

I've contacted ETI and will be taking the trailer up there Thursday AM. I hope to get up there and back in the same day - we'll see. Reace says it'll be about a 4 hour repair job. He did mention they'll need to remove the storage cubby.

So, any ideas on how and why this happened? Can I expect this to happen again? Do I need to start turning off the water at the outside faucet (and the electric water heater) when I leave the trailer? I'd hate to think what I would have come back to otherwise as my grey water tank wasn't completely empty. And I'd been gone all day until about an hour before this happened.

I've not read the manuals (yet) regarding this issue so I don't know if there was a way to bypass the hot water so I could at least still have cold water for flushing the toilet and heating up to wash my hands. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

I thought about wrapping the hose with duct tape, but didn't know if it would be strong enough to withstand the water pressure. BTW, I had the water pressure regulator thingie hooked up to the outside faucet, so I doubt it was due to high pressure. I talked to a neighbor and he thought the pressure was rather low. He and another camper I talked to the next AM didn't have any water issues.

Yep, I'll be discussing this with Reace on Thursday and see if he has any idea why this happened.
__________________

__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:41 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Greg A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Posts: 2,812
Laura,
Sounds like a freak deal, however, this illustrates why we have always shut the water off when leaving the campground. We've seen these happen at campgrounds and sometimes it is awhile before anyone notices the water flowing out your door and shuts off the water for you.
It is still possible that your pressure regulator just wasn't working and the CG pressure was too high and burst the line, but hard to tell and pex can take a lot of abuse. Or could be just a defective line with a weak spot.
__________________

Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,465
Maybe a bad piece of PEX, or one that got scored or was crimped improperly. I dunno. It's hard to mess up a PEX connection. Something was probably defective when installed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:32 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 11,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
So, any ideas on how and why this happened?
Robert covered some possible causes. Reace should be able to tell when he sees it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Can I expect this to happen again? Do I need to start turning off the water at the outside faucet (and the electric water heater) when I leave the trailer??
Not likely. Turning off the water at the faucet when away is probably a good idea for any RV, but I don't see any reason to turn it off at the water heater as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I've not read the manuals (yet) regarding this issue so I don't know if there was a way to bypass the hot water so I could at least still have cold water for flushing the toilet and heating up to wash my hands. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this??
Yes, and it's in the manual... although all the 2016 owner's manual says is 'Place the bypass valve in the 'by-pass' position", which might not help very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I thought about wrapping the hose with duct tape, but didn't know if it would be strong enough to withstand the water pressure.
Tape would be unlikely to work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
H46Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Posts: 277
I believe this is the same thing that happened to tdftexas. His hot water line blew in the same spot. It's not PEX line in that area for the early 2017s. It changes from PEX under the bed to a clear braided rubber hose as it goes from the base of the bed to the sink.
__________________
Dave

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: College Station, Texas
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
I believe this is the same thing that happened to tdftexas. His hot water line blew in the same spot. It's not PEX line in that area for the early 2017s. It changes from PEX under the bed to a clear braided rubber hose as it goes from the base of the bed to the sink.
You say for the early 2017s. Is it something different now?
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
fudge_brownie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Janesville, WI, Wisconsin
Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Posts: 1,449
It appears you were on city water. Were you using a pressure regulator on the supply? If so, is it possible the regulator failed?
__________________
Paul and Janet Braun
2003 Toyota 4Runner V8 now 2012 Toyota Sequoia V8
Escape 19' 2010 now 2014 Escape 21'
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:37 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
rotateclockwise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Trailer: 1721
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
I believe this is the same thing that happened to tdftexas. His hot water line blew in the same spot. It's not PEX line in that area for the early 2017s. It changes from PEX under the bed to a clear braided rubber hose as it goes from the base of the bed to the sink.
I assume you're talking about the white lines entering the bathroom which appear to be PEX. Not sure what occurs at the turn going up to the sink. Hopefully those are also white PEX and not the clear lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Interior Bow_2.jpg (98.2 KB, 191 views)
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 19,429
I also suggest you study the picture above and read all your manuals. Prepared with information is a great resource and can help in a lot of situations.
__________________
Jim
It is not the years in your life but the life in your years Lincoln
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by H46Driver View Post
I believe this is the same thing that happened to tdftexas. His hot water line blew in the same spot. It's not PEX line in that area for the early 2017s. It changes from PEX under the bed to a clear braided rubber hose as it goes from the base of the bed to the sink.
Does anyone else find the "boom/bang" strange? A properly working pressure regulator should have protected from any surges in the campground water supply.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear this section of line is not PEX. If it was it would either need to be damaged or defective to split. For anyone interested, PEX has universal manufacturing tolerances and is rated as follows:
160 psi @ 74F
100 psi @ 180F
80 psi @ 200F

Although it does not apply in this case, as a point of reference the typical Shurflo water pumps used have their cut-out (off) set at 55 psi.

Assuming the 2017's are piped similar to earlier model trailers you should be able to bypass the hot water heater as Brian indicated. This should take any pressure off the hot water side of the system and allow you to continue to use your cold water. See picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HWH bypass valves.JPG (40.8 KB, 40 views)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canyon Lake, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,465
I find the whole thing strange, even if the piece that split wasn't PEX. My guess is still that it was a defective part. Does happen, although rare.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
KarenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bellingham and Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Posts: 1,981
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
This unfortunate event reminds me of a cautionary tale. I had a friend whose upstairs toilet valve malfunctioned during an extended absence and caused well over $150,000 in damage (and untold grief). Their insurance covered it only because someone had been periodically checking on their house. Had it not been checked and had the friend been gone over XX days (don't remember how many), the damage would not have been covered. Check your insurance coverage for your own particulars.

So now, if I am absent from my house for more than three or four days, I turn off the main valve from my city water.
__________________
Karen Hulford
2013 Escape 15A, "Egbert"
Ford 150 XLT 5.8L
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Does anyone else find the "boom/bang" strange? A properly working pressure regulator should have protected from any surges in the campground water supply.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear this section of line is not PEX. If it was it would either need to be damaged or defective to split. For anyone interested, PEX has universal manufacturing tolerances and is rated as follows:
160 psi @ 74F
100 psi @ 180F
80 psi @ 200F

Although it does not apply in this case, as a point of reference the typical Shurflo water pumps used have their cut-out (off) set at 55 psi.

Assuming the 2017's are piped similar to earlier model trailers you should be able to bypass the hot water heater as Brian indicated. This should take any pressure off the hot water side of the system and allow you to continue to use your cold water. See picture.
are the fittings used with PEX where joints occur or right angles rated the same? For all internal water pipes does Escape use plastic fittings for joints and right angles where clamped or do they use metal fittings with metal clamps?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
NW Cat Owner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seatac, Washington
Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Posts: 2,838
I know next to nothing about plumbing, hoses and all that. All I know is that it split. It's clear, plastic and if I remember correctly it has a blue color line running through it. It does kind of look like it's braided. It's definitely not white. I'm not in the trailer right now to double check it. Both of the hoses going from wherever to the bottom of the sink are this type of hose. It's very flexible as in I can mash it in with my fingers.

How do you know if your water pressure regulator is defective? I don't remember what number it's set at. The needle was still pointed to whatever that number is. I think it came preset to that number.

Looking at the supplied photo and having someone else tell me to educate myself by looking at it doesn't really help as I'm clueless about what I'm looking at. I see a pair of white hoses coming from the bathroom area. But that's not what split as it wasn't a white hose, so that doesn't really tell me much.

Not everyone has umpteen bazillion years experience in using a trailer and figuring out how to solve problems when they come up. Or experience in plumbing. Or electrical. This is all new to me. When I flip a switch (or whatever) I expect things to work and I get very frustrated when they don't.

Now if you want to know how to scoop a cat litter box, I'm your gal of many years of experience!

Speaking of which ....
__________________
Laura, Dirk and Spike & Sam & Jasper (the cats)
www.UnderKittySupervision.com
My blog: https://www.underkittysupervision.co...upervisioncom/
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
This unfortunate event reminds me of a cautionary tale. I had a friend whose upstairs toilet valve malfunctioned during an extended absence and caused well over $150,000 in damage (and untold grief). Their insurance covered it only because someone had been periodically checking on their house. Had it not been checked and had the friend been gone over XX days (don't remember how many), the damage would not have been covered. Check your insurance coverage for your own particulars.

So now, if I am absent from my house for more than three or four days, I turn off the main valve from my city water.
That would be easy to do if you didn't live in California and didn't have desert scape in your yard . You have roses and , grass and flowers that need a little water when you are gone . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:15 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That would be easy to do if you didn't live in California and didn't have desert scape in your yard . You have roses and , grass and flowers that need a little water when you are gone . Pat
Which raises a good point. My sprinkler system supply line splits off right after my water meter which also has the shutoff valves to service the meter and shut water to the entire system. I have thought about installing a valve upstream of the sprinkler take-off that would allow me to isolate my house, but still allow the sprinkler system to be supplied. In this case, only a small amount of piping located in the basement would remain under pressure while we are away.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Patandlinda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Posts: 5,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Which raises a good point. My sprinkler system supply line splits off right after my water meter which also has the shutoff valves to service the meter and shut water to the entire system. I have thought about installing a valve upstream of the sprinkler take-off that would allow me to isolate my house, but still allow the sprinkler system to be supplied. In this case, only a small amount of piping located in the basement would remain under pressure while we are away.
We don't have a basement . We are on a slab foundation and the piping runs from meter into and through house . I am sure something could maybe be changed for a price . Body not capable any more to do this kind of work required and have to be more careful with funds . So ....... Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 3,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Assuming the 2017's are piped similar to earlier model trailers you should be able to bypass the hot water heater as Brian indicated. This should take any pressure off the hot water side of the system and allow you to continue to use your cold water. See picture.
My apologies. After thinking about this more only the top valve in the diagram should be flipped to the bypass position. This should stop flow through the hot water piping. If both are flipped you still have your cold water pressurizing the hot water side of the system.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 13,678
Don't understand why you would need to bypass the water heater if you have shut off the hose at source.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #20
Site Team
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 5,767
It's the hot water pipe that's split, just looking to see if there is a way they could continue to use the cold water.
__________________

__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×