TV information needed - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
TV information needed

OK, this isn't for the many of you that don't have a TV and would never dream of watching TV in your trailer.

We're news junkies and like to keep up with world events, even if we don't like what the news brings. So we've always had a TV with us in boats and trailers dating back to our little 5" black and white TV in the old days.

We let our TV go with the 19 and I've been searching for a replacement. Our old one had a power brick and put out a nominal 16 volts. I was going to use a buck converter but tried it on trailer voltage and it worked just fine.

I'm finding that power bricks on new TV's are getting almost non-existent. The closest I've come so far is finding one with a 19 volt input. Not much chance of it working on the trailer voltage. But I could use a dc-dc converter which I'd rather do than use an inverter to power a TV.

So does anyone know of a brand that uses a power brick, preferably one that's less than 19 volts.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ron, if you get a 12v tv it already has the everything built in with a usb or round 12 plug. I get one with built in dvd to watch movies
Old 12-09-2019, 08:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I also believe the 12 volt TV is a better option . most these tv's are build to take the abuse of road. The DVD is nice.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Ron: Anything on these sites work for you?

https://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/c...levisions.html

12 Volt TV DVD Skyworth/NAXA/RCA LED 12V Color Television
Old 12-09-2019, 10:43 PM   #5

Yes, that was a great help, thanks. Since we're looking for a 24" and the Quality Mobile site lists several I'll track down their availability in Canada.

I'll keep looking for one using a suitable power brick but if I don't find one then I guess I know what my Xmas present is going to be.

Ron
Old 12-10-2019, 06:17 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We bought a tv for our 17B last spring. I wanted a 12V or at least 12V brick. I didn't find one I liked.
I opted for a 110V model and bought a tiny inverter that plugs into the 12V port ESI installed in the overhead cabinet. The tv only draws about 32W so it doesn't take much of an inverter to run it.
I bought a Sharp Roku, I find the numerous streaming functions more useful than a DVD player.
Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
This is what we have, works great and has a 12V power cord and DVD player
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AXESS-TVD...mote/513392563
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

That looks like a nice one Tom, I have always gone here for mine, but may look at yours now...
https://www.truckers-store.com/skywo...olt-combo-tvs/
Old 12-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #9

The only thing I found lacking in some is the sound quality of the built in speakers and as I age so do my ears. I found a neat contraption that broadcasts bluetooth and I place a blue tooth speaker closer to me for better hearing. Something like this should work with your auxiliary speaker https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bl...A2KUZVNQ9LP7N9
Old 12-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ya got me. I have trained myself to interpret TV as tow vehicle from my two years here. And you really did mean tv!
Old 12-10-2019, 11:49 AM   #11

Sound quality and volume can be an issue at times
This is how I solve that problem, phone, mp3 or tv
https://www.amazon.com/Tribit-XSound...57115952&psc=1

The only reason I used Walmart was free delivery, I have used the site you use also
Old 12-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
This is what we have, works great and has a 12V power cord and DVD player
https://www.walmart.com/ip/AXESS-TVD...mote/513392563
Yes the Axess ones have come up several times.

What's annoying is that living in Canada makes things more difficult because many of the possibilities aren't easily available or priced anywhere near the same, even with the exchange. For example one possibility is $173US but to get it in Canada it's $346CDN.

The other issue is that if you read reviews enough you start to see that an unacceptable number seem to come out of the box with a problem. So, as much as I use online purchases quite frequently I'm reluctant to order a TV online. I'd like to get one locally, and be able to return it easily if there's a problem.

So it's looking like the best that I'll be able to is find one locally that uses a 19 volt power brick and use it with a dc-dc converter. An alternative is to wait until we head South in the new year and buy one at a place like Walmart. Presumably if it had a problem it could be dealt with at another Walmart down the road.

Ron
Old 12-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The other issue is that if you read reviews enough you start to see that an unacceptable number seem to come out of the box with a problem. So, as much as I use online purchases quite frequently I'm reluctant to order a TV online. I'd like to get one locally, and be able to return it easily if there's a problem.

So it's looking like the best that I'll be able to is find one locally that uses a 19 volt power brick and use it with a dc-dc converter. An alternative is to wait until we head South in the new year and buy one at a place like Walmart. Presumably if it had a problem it could be dealt with at another Walmart down the road.

Ron
Possible DOA was the other reason I had it sent to Walmart, and yes I believe you could return it to a different one with the receipt.

Are you heading to Quartzite this year? Order and pick up at a spot just in the US. Use it while you are in the states for a test run, return if issues.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #14

Ron, If I were going to Quartzite I'd order one and bring it with me, perhaps you can find someone who is going, to do that. Send them a check and then can bring it with them.....
Old 12-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #15

My sister lives 10 minutes over the border so I could have one sent to her. But, again, if there's a problem that adds a complication. Also that's getting up to an amount where just going down, getting it and coming home might trigger duty etc. which I like to avoid.

I'm still hoping that I can find one that uses a nominal 16 volts instead of 19 but that's not looking good at the moment.

I actually had good warranty service from Walmart with a battery. Bought it here and I was in Arizona and a cell died. Went to a Walmart, not expecting much, didn't have the receipt with me. They put it in their computer and even though it was bought in Canada, wham, bam, new battery.

Ron
Old 12-10-2019, 04:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For example one possibility is $173US but to get it in Canada it's $346CDN.
It is on Amazon.ca for $269.99 Canadian with free shipping. Still not $173 but...

https://www.amazon.ca/Axess-TVD1805-.../dp/B07BWP463J
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:14 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I bought a 22" LG TV for use in my house three years ago. It has a 19V external power brick. More recently I swapped it out with the 12V Insignia TV I had in the trailer. I bought a DC-DC transformer to power the LG. It seems to work okay, and its resolution is greater than the Insignia's even though both are supposed to to be 1080p. The LG is good enough to be used as a computer monitor; the Insignia was not. The model number 22LH4530 has probably changed.

I would recommend buying a regular TV that uses an external power brick if you can still find one instead of a 12V TV ruggedized for RV use. The extra cost isn't worth it, and both regular televisions I've used in my trailer have held up well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
Best Buy or LD

Ron, my fellow Canadian, we looked for a 24 inch TV with a built-in DVD player that would plug directly into the 12V outlet in our 5.0TA.

We found the best deal at Best Buy for CA$139 for a 24" Insignia brand, and London Drugs has an RCA brand for a little more. They look so similar, I suspect they came out of the same factory in China.

We live about 10 minutes from the border and shop in the Bellingham regularly, but found that the TVs are more expensive, and are essentially the same thing, made in PRC.
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I would recommend buying a regular TV that uses an external power brick if you can still find one instead of a 12V TV ruggedized for RV use. The extra cost isn't worth it, and both regular televisions I've used in my trailer have held up well.
I have the same opinion. None of the regular tv's that I've used in boats or trailers ever had an issue. Too bad that power bricks have almost disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padamas View Post
Ron, my fellow Canadian, we looked for a 24 inch TV with a built-in DVD player that would plug directly into the 12V outlet in our 5.0TA.

We found the best deal at Best Buy for CA$139 for a 24" Insignia brand, and London Drugs has an RCA brand for a little more.
Interesting, don't have my notes in front of me but I thought that one of them at least had "19 volts" imprinted near the plug.

Is your's marked 19 volts and if so are you running it on trailer voltage?

Ron
Old 12-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA SOLD
I looked at the wart's output; 12V, then checked that the polarity would be the same. All is good!
padamas is offline   Reply With Quote