Why Escape -- and not Casita, or Scamp, or something else? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Why Escape -- and not Casita, or Scamp, or something else?

All,

While out with our trailer in early September, we were approached by many curious peeps in the market for a fiberglass trailer of their own. And in each case, they said they were considering a Scamp or Casita -- and they asked us why Escape was the better choice. I had some answers, but I felt like I should know even better from peeps who either "graduated" from Scamps/Casitas or did more careful shopping than we did.

So ... why IS Escape a better choice? What do YOU say when YOU are asked?

Thanks,

~e
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Re: Why Escape -- and not Casita, or Scamp, or something else?

While on our way home we were staying in Waterton National park and a guy with a Casita came over to talk to us and was very interested in our !9 ft. The main thing he was interested in was the extra insulation and dual pane windows. I was led to believe from him they are not a option with a Casita. Oh and he was also extremely interested with the fact that the 19 ft has a permnanent queen bed with a good matress as they were retired and spent 6-9 months a year traveling in their trailer.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Well, we are still waiting for our Escape, but I can tell you why we chose Escape over Casita. We were sold on the concept of a light fiberglass trailer and didn't know about Escape. My only experience had been with a Trillium 30 years ago and regretted selling it, except now we wanted a permanent bed and a bath/shower, which weren't in the old Trillium. We talked to the Canadian Trillium builders in Alberta but they were not putting full bath/showers in theirs and it really wasn't big enough. We had seen a Casita waiting for the ferry and were impressed by the size etc - all the reasons people are impressed by them. After seeing a used Boler and used Casita, we thought we'd buy a new Casita and went on line for info; that's how we found our way to the RVForum and thus the Escape site.

One look at the pictures of Escape and I knew it was the trailer we wanted. Here are the reasons:

1.Full height - some Casitas have very low ceiling height.

2.Layout seemed just right for us, especially the queen bed in the 19.

3.The rug wall coverings were the one feature of the Casita that really disturbed me. Some people seem to think they're fine or even great, but they're not for me. The used unit we saw was 10 years old and the rug wall coverings were unpleasantly darkened around the rim of every window, counter and seat. The owner said to just use carpet cleaner on it. No thanks. The unit smelled very unpleasant, part of which was the cleaning solution they had already tried to use on the carpeting; I can't help thinking that the carpet must absorb odors as well - maybe not - but that one experience had me very uneasy about it for the long term.

4. Ability to customize the fabric and countertops, as well as optional features like insulation and thermal windows, not to mention the other awesome things like solar power etc.

5. Escape are a BC company much closer to us than Casita in Texas. Although the Casita people seemed friendly on the phone, there is nothing like meeting the owners and people who are going to build your trailer. We were so impressed with everyone and everything we saw at the Escape factory, which is only a ferry ride and a comfortable 2 hr drive away. If there end up being any problems I like that the company is close by (and in the same country)

Having gone through the ordering process I can say it has been fun and reassuring that we have made the right choice for us.

Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

The people we talked with who had Escapes had owned a Scamp or Casita and said the Escape was much better built. I think the Scamp is without the fiberglass bottom which someone thought important to the Escape. A former Casita owner said that there was no insulation (or they could not tell it if there was) and that the Escape insulation is very good. We can close the door to shut out much of the campground noise as well as have the insulation properties for keeping the heat in or out, as the case may be.

Rosemary, we had seen the same on Trilliums and there may still be one made in California but sans the Escape bathroom set-up. I did not receive a reply to an inquiry to them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19

One word- "Customization"
Escape Trailers will build you the trailer you want, the way you want. You have input into where outlets, tv,windows, 12v all are located. You have solar,double or single pane windows, bath or no bath option, big or small a/c. The choices made make the trailer truly customized to your tastes. Try asking Airstream to change their a/c or outlet location. Ask Scamp if they will add a drawer or shelf or move the microwave. Try getting a tool box on a Casita. Escape hand builds each unit to the owner's specifications vs assembly line production like the others.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: medora... When showing our Escape the first thing I point out is the seam...or lack thereof in the door jamb. Its only visable under the belly band trim so you should be able to see it on either side of the door...but you can't. Now that's fine fiberglass work!!!
Next thing is the MaxxFan. Reace only uses the best components possible and this fan is one of them!!!
Then look at the fit and finish inside the trailer and dare say lift the dinette compartment doors looking for loose wires. You won't find any.
Sure their trailers are more expensive... but they're made that way. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

We talked to a Casita owner in Yellowstone and he was most unhappy with the quality of parts used on his trailer---said he had to replace a lot of pieces andthere is a whole sub industry of replacement parts for Casita...

And people that looked at our trailer when we were away were really impressed with the workmanship..

BTW--Dmac--when were you in Waterton?? We left there yesterday 19th morning...
Old 09-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

I can't really speak about Casitas as i have no experience with them, but the difference in quality of Escapes vs Scamps is striking. Nearly every aspect of our Escape is better made than comparables in our Scamp. I was dissatisfied with so many things about the Scamp and no one I talked to there seemed to really give a cr*p about improvements or customer satisfaction. Reace and Tammy correctly identified quality and customer satisfaction as their primary goals and in my opinion are accomplishing those goals.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #9

When we initially were looking for a Travel Trailer we did a lot of research and when we saw the Escape - The choice was made! We have a couple of posts on our website covering our decision..

The ability to customize the Escape is without a doubt the most unique and incredible thing about purchasing the Escape.. The build quality is excellent!

Here's our comparison review of the trailers -> http://zimodecast.com/?p=82

Here's movies of the trailers we saw -> http://zimodecast.com/?p=83

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B

These are all really helpful answers (some of which I mentioned when asked, some I didn't know about).

I'm curious -- does the Scamp really not have a fiberglass bottom? Eric, was it you that told us about the plywood? I remember when they bragged to us that they'd been using the same mold for something like 17 years, as if the fact that they were stuck in the 80s was a GOOD thing.

And -- when we say "you'll pay more for Escape's quality" -- how much are we talking? People asked -- I had some idea w/r/t Scamp, as we looked at them more closely (and there's really no "comparable" there anyway as what you get in a 17 ft Scamp is so much less) -- but are we generally talking 10% more? 20%? Is it even possible to quantify?

In a good-faith effort to become the best Escape Ambassador I can be,

~e

medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 15-A

We looked at the Scamp after mulling over Bolers and thought... wow! Then we looked at the Casita, which was a step up from the Scamp. The owners of the Casita told us not to overlook the Escapes. Once we looked on line, we knew this was what we were looking for. A week later, a trip to the factory was made and after a few hours of looking at the trailers and talking talking to Tammy, we ordered our 15A then and there. The quality is 10 times that of the Scamp and Casita. We our extremely happy with our 15A Kaernhuset, but I might be a wee bit biased.

Regards

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19

What started as a search for a used Casita led me to buy a new Escape.

I was after a 17' trailer, ready to give up the off-road pop-up, which we absolutely loved, but which lacked an inside toilet, and was a little less comfortable in inclement weather. For me it was headroom, number of windows (esp the front), and dislike of the carpeted walls on the Casita. That was the initial reasoning. Once I saw the referred 17B in person, and talked to it's owner, and then Tammy, it was all about the quality, ease of customization vs the "canned" approach of Casita, and the personalized approach during construction. Escape did not need a 50% deposit, as did Casita, and I decided a trip to Canada was going to be more fruitful and attractive than a trip to Texas!

We picked it up in late August, availed ourselves of some vacation time in Victoria while "up North", and brought it back to the Monterey Bay Area. We're lovin' it!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora
These are all really helpful answers (some of which I mentioned when asked, some I didn't know about).

I'm curious -- does the Scamp really not have a fiberglass bottom? Eric, was it you that told us about the plywood? I remember when they bragged to us that they'd been using the same mold for something like 17 years, as if the fact that they were stuck in the 80s was a GOOD thing...

~e
The "plywood" bottom of the Scamp that they told me was "resin impregnated" turned out to be OSB board with a thin coat of sprayed-on fiberglass.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #14

At this time, I have a 13' Scamp/bath&shower. I bought it 2 years used. It was in very good shape. The reason I ended up with Scamp was because I had never camped before, did not want to throw a bunch of money at something I may not enjoy. My mind is made up, when it comes time to upgrade, it will be an Escape 15B. As some have mentioned here, Scamp does not provide very good customer service, and it's product isn't all that well made. It's fine to get started with, but when I can travel more, the Escape will be more comfortable, better made, and more space. You get what you pay for. People on this site who have Escapes do not complain of any problems. Probably because there are not any. A good product will stand out, but customer service makes it a home run.

Alice

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

To be fair and reasonable it is safe to say there will be problems with anything in life, including a Escape trailer. To me the difference is the quality of the build and the ease of dealing with Tammy and Reace to correct things. If you want a example of my point try calling almost any company that you have bought something from for assistance with a problem and it will likely require a morning off work on the phone, un answered emails and probably no resolution to your problem. I can email Escape ( even after they have my money ) and within a day i have a response and last time Reace, the boss no less, called me himself to make sure he understood my question. This service simply doesn't happen anywhere else !!!
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

As a current Scamp owner of an oldy but goody, I can tell you my forever trailer will be an Escape. It doesn't matter what brand of molded trailer one owns, everything requires maintenance. The floor of my Scamp, which has been towed thousands of miles in it's 24 year history in the rain has a perfect floor. So, the fact it's sprayed with resin doesn't seem to be a problem. Rot happens from leaking windows, vents, etc. and all trailers have those.

I have no interest in purchasing a new Scamp... the layout isn't what I desire, so I can't attest to their new trailer customer service. However, I have purchased more than $500 worth of parts... like a sliding back window, gasket material, fresh water port, etc. and found talking to the parts people by phone to be a pleasant experience. I found them to be helpful.

The Scamp factory burned to the ground in January 2005. They lost all their moulds. In fact, at that time they increased in headroom in the 13 footer since new moulds needed to be made.

Just like Escape and Casita, Scamp sells every trailer they build and have a waiting list. They must be doing something right. It may be pricing related. Scamp trailers are at the lower end of the price spectrum and not everyone can have champagne when they're on a beer budget. I have no doubt that Scamp owners have as much fun and enjoy camping just as much as Escape owners. It's just different strokes for different folks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:58 PM   #17
Site Team

I didn't mean to shut down this conversation with my post. I just wanted to clear up some of the suppositions folks have about Scamps. I've found it usually revolves around the floor....
Old 09-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
I didn't mean to shut down this conversation with my post. I just wanted to clear up some of the suppositions folks have about Scamps. I've found it usually revolves around the floor....
Donna Good Job!! Every trailer I have owned was fun while we had it. As you know we have owned many, like seven Bigfoot's, a Scamp, a Escape 19, back to Bigfoot.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
Site Team

Thanks Chuck. If I owned an Escape and someone asked me why... I'd say because it's TOP DRAWER. There are so many features that put it above the rest. However, it does come at a cost. If someone is looking to buy, it gets down... first to budget. I truly believe Escape is a "forever" trailer... I know it will be for me.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #20

RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*R IVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RIVETS*RI VETS*
I can't tell you the number of rivets I replaced on our old Casita. On our last trip we had a chance to see a Scamp fifth-wheel, and it may have had even more rivets. For me, the deciding factor was the engineering.
Dave