wifi on the road - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 15A
wifi on the road

Hello all....we are newbies to trailering and have ordered our Escape15. Can anyone tell me what we need in order to have secure wifi on the campsite, so that while we are on the road we can keep up to date with banking and bill payments and stay in touch with family? We have a laptop and an iPad and plan not to have a television, rather, to use Netflix, iTunes, etc. Do we need some kind of hub or stick from our provider? or do we buy a wireless modem and install in the dinette or somewhere? any suggestions appreciated....

k-w escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Easiest is to pull into a McDonalds or Starbucks if you have good security software on your machine. Free wifi connections there.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-w escapees View Post
Hello all....we are newbies to trailering and have ordered our Escape15. Can anyone tell me what we need in order to have secure wifi on the campsite, so that while we are on the road we can keep up to date with banking and bill payments and stay in touch with family? We have a laptop and an iPad and plan not to have a television, rather, to use Netflix, iTunes, etc. Do we need some kind of hub or stick from our provider? or do we buy a wireless modem and install in the dinette or somewhere? any suggestions appreciated....
If your iPad doesn't already have an internet service included get a hotspot like the Verizon Jetpack. That way you can connect your laptop as well as your iPad. That's what I use and it works great (except for the roaming charges in Canada )
cschambach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I don't think you want to watch Netflix over a cell hotspot unless you have one heck of a data plan.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
I don't think I'd pay bills using WiFi in a camp site. I'm too old school for that. Pay your bills before you head out.
If you start downloading movies on NetFlix or iTunes it could slow down the WiFi too much and become a problem viewing. Down load your favorite shows before you head out and watch them at your leisure.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
In all the places we have stayed WIFI is often offered but seldom good. Most places have data limits. There is no way you are going to get a movie etc off one of those systems. They may even cut you off. Pre load your movies, take DVDs or read. We have barely even been able to retrieve and send emails. We have often had to use our data plan just to send an email. Also agree with others that you don't want to do serious business on insecure sites. It would be better to set up auto payment plans if you are going to be gone long.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I thought the post was about wifi - if you're after internet connections, use the search window on the forums. MANY posts about different methods for that.

Here's a good reference:

http://www.technomadia.com/internet

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Thanks tractors 1.
But I think Canada works different than anything listed on technomadia.com's advise blog. I'd be happy to hear otherwise.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0
I use the data plan on my phone for light internet use and set it up as a hotspot to my i-pad or laptop. In the States we pull into a Safeway parking lot and use their wi-fi; it's free and fast.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Hello all.... what we need in order to have secure wifi on the campsite, so that while we are on the road we can keep up to date with banking and bill payments and stay in touch with family? ..
It's really area dependent. For example we've just spent a lot of time in Utah etc. and days would go by before we could use our Verizon jetpack. In other states you have almost non-stop coverage.

In Canada we use a 7-eleven pay as you go data plan that we only use when we have to. Other times it's stop near one of the many, many places that have free wi-fi.

Second the comment about most campground wi-fi. For us it's usually an exercise in frustration.

So until you know what area you're heading for the answer to your needs is not clear.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote