1/2 or 3/4 ton ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
1/2 or 3/4 ton ?

We went shopping today for a new tow vehicle for towing our 21
We like the price and ride quality of the 1/2 ton trucks better
We like the capabilities and towing / payload capacity of the 3/4 ton trucks better
We will go with a V8 gas engine if we go with the 1/2 ton truck
If we go with a 3/4 ton then the gas or diesel decision will have to be made .
Our current V8 , 1/2 ton truck is adequate but it’s just time to upgrade to a new truck
We are not brand loyal so Ford , Chevy or Ram is fine with us .
Any thoughts or opinions or recommendations
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
If you think the 1/2 is enough and it rides better then why is it a question? Unless you think you have a need for the extra payload why sacrifice the ride for it just to have it in reserve?

I think you should take a hard look at the 2019 RAM 1500 and report back in detail on how it compares to the F-150, as a service to the forum!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
If you think the 1/2 is enough and it rides better then why is it a question? Unless you think you have a need for the extra payload why sacrifice the ride for it just to have it in reserve?

I think you should take a hard look at the 2019 RAM 1500 and report back in detail on how it compares to the F-150, as a service to the forum!
We are at or over our payload limit of our current 1/2 ton Ram Bughorn truck The 3/4 ton would allow us to pack along what we want without having to take something out every time we put something in like we do now . I am tired of constantly worrying about my payload but to alleviate that worry comes at a cost
Thank you for your post !!
Old 03-28-2019, 03:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We are at or over our payload limit of our current 1/2 ton Ram truck The 3/4 ton would allow us to pack along what we want without having to take something out every time we put something in like we do now . I am tired of constantly worrying about my payload but to alleviate that worry comes at a cost
Depending on how high a trim level you want, a Big Horn level Ram can have a pretty decent payload, ours has 1804. And although it's not one of the fancier trim levels, it is a really, really nice truck, the fit, finish and materials of the interior are superb and the ride quality is outstanding.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
We are at or over our payload limit of our current 1/2 ton Ram truck The 3/4 ton would allow us to pack along what we want without having to take something out every time we put something in like we do now . I am tired of constantly worrying about my payload but to alleviate that worry comes at a cost
Ok, so adequate but not necessarily "enough". I think the new Rams and F-150s can be configured to get you close to 1900+ lbs of payload. I spent a lot of time looking at the yellow stickers at the Ford lots to get a good understanding of how the options played into the available payload. The sales people seem to be oblivious to the true payload, and it changes with options.

We pack heavy and for a 10 day trip down south last fall we only had 110 lbs available in our 2019 Supercab 4x4 XLT. No water in the escape so our pin was a little heavier than previous trips.

Edit: I should mention it was cold, even in Alabama so we had the full spectrum of clothes including jeans and winter coats.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Steve, my Ram 1500 yellow stick says 1480# and with 2 people and 2 dogs and extra spare & jack leaves around 900# for stuff of which 500# will go into the trailer but that comes back with tongue weight, so I still have around 400# to play with. there is about 4x6' floor area left. Other than a bike and mats I'm still 300# underweight, but approaching full in area. I love the Ram 1500 for comfort and agility and with the 8 sp and 3:21 rear, pretty good mileage. Seems like anything bigger will be heavier and your gas will suffer, both towing and unhitched.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I just recently got a 2019 Silverado RST with the tow packages and 5.3L V8 (2WD). The payload is right at 2,000 lbs. Drives great, getting 18-19 mpg around town with HWY driving included. This is a much improved truck over the 2012 I had. I haven't towed long distances yet but from my limited towing to date I have been very pleased.

Steve
2019 Chevy Silverado RST 1500, 5.3L
sjnuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Steve, my Ram 1500 yellow stick says 1480# and with 2 people and 2 dogs and extra spare & jack leaves around 900# for stuff of which 500# will go into the trailer but that comes back with tongue weight, so I still have around 400# to play with. there is about 4x6' floor area left. Other than a bike and mats I'm still 300# underweight, but approaching full in area. I love the Ram 1500 for comfort and agility and with the 8 sp and 3:21 rear, pretty good mileage. Seems like anything bigger will be heavier and your gas will suffer, both towing and unhitched.
My payload is 1300 lbs so about 200 lbs less than yours . I have the 3.92 rear end and like it for towing . I wish Ram had a 4.10 rear end but
Sorry to read about Franklin
Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If payload is a concern, I don't think examples from a few years ago mean much, as Ford, GM, and FCA have all been updating their trucks and typically increasing payloads. Some time with the online information would be worthwhile, keeping in mind that the curb weights which they publish are for base trim and no options.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
I have moved from an F-250 crewcab gas, 2600# payload, to Chevy 2500 HD crew cab diesel with just under 2200# payload. Both trucks have plenty of payload for our 5.0 TA, we tend to pack on the heavy side. Haven’t towed far yet with the Chevy but expect better fuel economy. The best the F-250 could get on the highway not towing was 14 mpg, 9-11 mpg towing. The Chevy diesel gets 22 mpg highway not towing. The Chevy 2500 HD also has a better ride. I found the gas F-250 wanting in the Rockies, both climbing and descending. It had to work hard on the ups and too much braking on the downs.
It’s still winter here. Can’t use the camper yet. We’ll be leaving for Osoyoos in a month and find out more. I like to have adequate towing and payload capacity. Just my read on this subject.
Charlie
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Yes, they have increased payload. My 2018 F 150, 3.5 Ecoboost SuperCab (not the 4 door version) with the minimal tow package is rated at 1826 pounds payload.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 E19
F150 has a max payload option available, which could be helpful. The other thing to consider is, if your usage of the pickup will be primarily towing, the extra weight you're packing will go a long way toward smoothing out a 3/4 ton's ride.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:03 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Been 7 years now but when I was looking for a tow vehicle I was torn between the 3/4T and the 1/2T's. The mpg of the gas 3/4's was around 12mpg when not towing, and around 10 mpg towing. Going diesel would have taken care of that but at a cost of $8k, payload was around 3k.

Ford had just come out with the Ecoboost, which could have over 2k lbs payload if configured right, and claimed 17 mpg. I tried one out and liked the power. Ride was better then the 3/4.

Had no need for the power of the diesel, and 12 mpg on the gas 3/4 turned me off to that.

Went with the 3.5 Ecoboost Ford, configured for the max payload. 3.73 rear, 6 speed, HD payload, 8' bed, Supercab, E tires, were required. This has changed since then. Came with 2200 lbs on the yellow sticker.

The HD payload package changed the ride, it's a good deal stiffer then the one I test drove.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21, 2014 Northern Lite slide in, 2014 2500 Duramax
Tow vehicles are a very personal choice.....

We have had GMC 3/4 ton Diesels for the last 3. Love the torque and engine braking downhill.
At the end of the day's drive I don't feel stressed at all. No worries about capacity at all

Yes they come at a cost for the initial investment, but 8-10 years on each , and with tow mileage at 14, empty 20, there is some recoup.

To me it depends on if you are still working, or if you are spending 3+ months each year traveling.
The latest truck is less than 5 yo and has 100K+ miles, not even a brake pad change due to the HD capacity.

If your primary "job" is now adventuring around the country it is pretty nice not to care about how many rocks the wife can collect on the travels.
When we were near Quartzite this year she filled 2 LARGE plastic bins with quartz, total 400+ lbs

In my opinion if you have to go to a lower rear axle ratio to tow, the engine does not have enough torque.

IMG_20190107_160905655
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My regular gas half-ton 5.3L V-8 gets 24 mpg not towing and averages 14.7 mpg towing the 19 and I do better (and worse), depending on foot control. It tows like a dream. It's very quiet. It's our daily driver limo.

If you look at the price of fuel at the pump diesel costs- what? - upwards from 30 to 40 cents more per gallon than regular gas. So from a savings angle, nothing personal, I don't get it. Why even consider diesel?
Old 03-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree, diesel used to be cheaper than gas, similar to kerosene and #2 heating oil.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
After having a string of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups over the last 30 years, I was glad to move down to a 1/2 ton. My F-150 is much more comfortable and pleasurable to drive than the F-250's or F-350's. The power of the 3.5 litre EcoBoost is nothing short of phenomenal. I have my trailer near max weight most of the time, and carry lots on board the truck usually near max combined weight, and there is not even a slightest hint of lack of performance. I see no good reason, short of wanting to carry even more weight, to use a 3/4 ton.

We just returned from our 12,000 km journey late Wednesday with the truck performing great. Well, short of having to replace throttle control module.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #18

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
After having a string of 3/4 and 1 ton pickups over the last 25 years, I was glad to move down to a 1/3 ton. My F-150 is much more comfortable and pleasurable to drive than the F-250's or F-350's. The power of the 3.4 litre EcoBoost is nothing short of phenomenal. I have my trailer near max weight most of the time, and carry lots on board the truck usually near max combined weight, and there is not even a slightest hint of lack of performance. I see no good reason, short of wanting to carry even more weight, to use a 3/4 ton.

We just returned from our 12,000 km journey late Wednesday with the truck performing great. Well, short of having to replace throttle control module.
Glad to hear you returned home safely . Thank you for your post .
I too had 3/4 ton and 1 Ton work trucks for most of my 40 years in the trades
I liked the ride . the capabilities and the driving experience , but I wasn’t paying for the vehicle or the gas .
The 1/2 ton trucks are pleasure / commuter vehicles and the 3/4 & 1 tons are work trucks IMHO
I am trying to decide if I want a fun / grocery getter truck or a work / towing truck
Both have their pros and cons
Old 03-29-2019, 10:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Glad to hear you returned home safely . Thank you for your post .
I too had 3/4 ton and 1 Ton work trucks for most of my 40 years in the trades
I liked the ride . the capabilities and the driving experience , but I wasn’t paying for the vehicle or the gas .
The 1/2 ton trucks are pleasure / commuter vehicles and the 3/4 & 1 tons are work trucks IMHO
I am trying to decide if I want a fun / grocery getter truck or a work / towing truck
Both have their pros and cons
Steve - How much day tripping/commuter type use will the new truck get? If you are buying strictly for hauling the trailer and gear and then parking it for the most part, I would think then the towing/hauling would play a bigger role in the decision. Or if you don't mind the larger/stiffer vehicle when disconnected.

As an example, our hope is to use our Escape for traveling (in addition to camping) to locations and parking the Escape for a home base and then doing day trips to sights, and spend quite a bit of time in the vehicle without the trailer. The F-150 seemed a better fit (vs F-250) for our style, but your style may be the opposite.
Old 03-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
As a generality this is true, but the 1/2 tons, even though designed more as a comfy cruiser type vehicle than a 3/4 or 1 ton, they still have the capacity to work. I made the decision to go with my F-150 for work instead of having two trucks so sold the F-350. While there are a couple situations I would have rather had the larger truck, for the most part the F-150 has performed well over the last near 3 years now as my work truck.

I have towed my dump trailer at over 9,000 lbs a few times, and though there is plenty of power, I only do so for a very short trip as I do not have WDH for this use. When unloaded, or loaded with a bunch of lighter supplies, the 4,500 lb (dry) dump trailer tows like a dream.

So many options out there that would work, it is just a matter of picking what suits ones own needs (and desires) best.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote