2024 Tacoma Hybrid - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2023, 10:42 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceFamily View Post
^^^ this, exactly, for me/us.
My Tacoma nicely towed our Casita all over the western states. Casita was 3500 lb GVWR.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 11:40 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I pulled our 21 with a F250 diesel for several years, I've downgraded to a full sized SUV. has up to 8 full sized seats if we want to carry passengers, or 7+ feet of flat cargo space with 2 seats.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2023 E19
Love Toyotas, hate the fuel inefficiencies!! Hybrid will not help you towing, it switched to gas when towing. Might as well go the Tundra, it pulls better in mountains etc
MullensE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:45 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Towing Shudbe Fun

Just went through same issue.
Just bought a 21NE this fall and needed a TV.
Decided on a new F150, 2.7l, 3.73 gears, 6600#, 1375 # Payload, 40gal tank.
Lariat model gives you best balance of usable upgrades IMHO,
Watch for factory promo. Got 16% off MSRP.
This is a light duty truck set up that will still pull the Escape effortlessly. Folding ebikes can sit in truck bed under tonneau cover.
This is also our daily now. Can always pick up a small used car for around town if needed at some point.
Ram with new Hurricane 6cyl worth a look this spring...
Shudbesailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:49 AM   #25

Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Hi,

We've been watching a lot of videos about the new Toyota Tacoma Hybrid that's due to come out some time next year. We LOVE Tacomas and were quite set on a 2023, until I began really digging into payload/towing capacity/MPG. LOVE the resale value of Tacoma but, feel we want much better gas mileage, torque, HP and aforementioned payload and tow capacity. The 2024 Hybrid will deliver - no doubt at a price! And yet - if resale is good and as we plan to keep our new E19 and truck combo for many, many years, it may be worth it. Thoughts?

Also - sort of on-topic - has anyone noticed the TVs shown on the new Escape Trailer home page? Jeep and SUVs - nary a 3/4, 1/2 or even truck to be seen.
Hi TheNiceFamily & All,

I am quite interested in the Tacoma (with or without the hybrid option). We currently tow our 2005 Casita (3,500 GVWR) with a bit of a unicorn (2009 Kia Borrego V8, 335 hp/325 lb ft of torque and rated to tow 7,500 lbs, 6 speed ZF automatic tranny). It is 14 yo and has 160,000 miles on it. We purchased it in 2015 with 83,000 miles on it to tow the new to us Casita). It has been a great tow vehicle despite poor V8 gas mileage and a harsh ride on bumpy roads. It will have 170,000 miles on it by the end of 2024.

We are thinking about a new pickup truck at the end of 2024 (early Social Security present ). Given our Casita’s GVWR, any midsize truck rated to tow 5,000 lbs or more will handle our Casita. Kinda wondering though if we will miss the V8 when compared to the V6s in the Ridgeline, Gladiator, and the Frontier (a bit more power and torque). The turocharged 4s in the Ranger, Colorado/Canyon, and new Tacoma will provide more power (particularly torque) with the hybrid Tacoma being a torque monster. Will I miss the power of the V8 if we go with one of the V6s?

Currently, the 2024 Honda Ridgeline (new TrailSport trim) has caught my eye. It will be replacing the RTL-E trim in the Ridgeline lineup. Plus, very little chrome, which I like. So, the price point of the Ridgeline TrailSport will be the benchmark for us comparing and cross shopping all other midsize trucks. Also, Ridgelines have very solid real world payload numbers of 1,500 lbs (1,480 to 1,580).

I am not impressed with the payload in the current generation Tacoma. For that matter, the newish Frontier lacks in real world payload, imo.

The 2024 Tacoma (TRD Sport probably) with the 6’ bed (and possibly the hybrid engine) seems like a sweet spot in terms of superior anticipated performance and a 6’ bed. We are also considering base trim 1/2 ton trucks mildly optioned, including the outgoing for 2024 Titan (possibly deals to be had). We prefer the size of the midsize truck, but the function of a 1/2 ton (base trim) may be close enough in price to mid-trim midsize trucks to consider.

In any case, we too, are definitely interested in the new Tacoma. Of course, this assumes they have addressed the poor payload of the previous edition and that the price is right. I am expecting price to be a potential major issue for the Tacoma. We shall see. I have never paid anywhere close to MSRP in my life. LOL, but we live in a different world than the last time I bought a new vehicle in 2009 (Honda Fit and Kia Rondo - the Great Recession was a great time to buy a new car!).

Happy Camping to All,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:05 PM   #26

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MullensE19 View Post
Might as well go the Tundra, it pulls better in mountains etc
If I end up with a 1/2 Ton TV, there is a 90% chance it would be a Tundra. However, outside of the limited payload/towing capability, the Tacoma does a much better job at fulfilling my day-to-day needs for a truck. It's small enough to be easily maneuverable and park in tight spaces, but big enough to have a roomy cab and be useable as a truck.

Also, call me eccentric, but I am a big fan of the manual transmission. I have not owned an automatic-equipped vehicle in over 20 years. The fact that a stick is no longer available on any full-size truck plays a big factor for wanting to stay with the mid-size Tacoma....if the 4th gen proves to be significantly more capable in terms of towing.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
.... Currently, the 2024 Honda Ridgeline (new TrailSport trim) has caught my eye. It will be replacing the RTL-E trim in the Ridgeline lineup. ...
I loved my 2019 RTL-E AWD, a truck (yes, the Ridgeline is a truck) loaded with truly unique and practical features, its independent suspension providing exceptional ride-comfort both daily driving and towing within its limits (should be a wonderful match for your Casita). Insofar as Escape trailers, personally I'd draw the line at the 17's with a Ridgeline.

IMO you'll be hard-pressed to find an alternative that matches the Ridgeline feature-for-feature (the in-bed trunk, among other things, spoiled me more than I ever expected).

The sole 'downside' for me when thinking of RV travel was the 'donut' spare tire/wheel. A full-size wouldn't fit in the provided storage space in the trunk under the bed. No worries, I found a matching like-new take-off full-size OE wheel and tire complete with TPMS on the Ridgeline Owners Forum for carry (properly secured) in the bed when on RV trips.

The only reason I sold mine was falling 'victim' to the seductive but incompatible Escape 5.0 (I miss the Ridgeline but have No Regrets about that rig change!)
Old 11-15-2023, 02:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I loved my 2019 RTL-E AWD, a truck (yes, the Ridgeline is a truck) loaded with truly unique and practical features, its independent suspension providing exceptional ride-comfort both daily driving and towing within its limits (should be a wonderful match for your Casita). Insofar as Escape trailers, personally I'd draw the line at the 17's with a Ridgeline.

IMO you'll be hard-pressed to find an alternative that matches the Ridgeline feature-for-feature (the in-bed trunk, among other things, spoiled me more than I ever expected).

The sole 'downside' for me when thinking of RV travel was the 'donut' spare tire/wheel. A full-size wouldn't fit in the provided storage space in the trunk under the bed. No worries, I found a matching like-new take-off full-size OE wheel and tire complete with TPMS on the Ridgeline Owners Forum for carry (properly secured) in the bed when on RV trips.

The only reason I sold mine was falling 'victim' to the seductive but incompatible Escape 5.0 (I miss the Ridgeline but have No Regrets about that rig change!)
Thanks for your comments regarding RL. I agree, YES it is a truck! We have another camping friend that tows her Casita with an RL and loves it as well. The lure of a larger egg calls our name some, but we plan to continue with the Casita for another 3 years or so until Medicare, LOL. We will reevaluate then.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 21c
Tacoma hybrid

Quote:
WOW! Thank you so much for this really valuable information! Literally valuable - to the tune of probably $60,000CDN+. This is information that I'd NEVER get from Toyota. I don't believe they're trying to hide anything, just that they're in the business of selling trucks, not RVs, so they are ignorant (most by choice) of proper input with regards plusses and minuses of their trucks when it comes to towing.

I'd actually, just yesterday, put down a $1,000 deposit for a 2024 Hybrid Tacoma yesterday. I was running the reasons why (2023 v 2024) - increased payload, towing AND MPG! I think I lost them at payload. I'll be calling to get that $1,000 deposit refunded tomorrow, thanks to you all.

Now - the hunt continues. I'll look into some of the vehicles you've all brought up in this thread.

I have a 2020 Ranger 2.7 4 cyl turbo and love the way it tows. The 10 speed transmission is smooth as butter and the truck accelerates nicely even uphill. At 60-65 mph I’m getting a little better than 15 mpg. When not towing I’m getting 22-24 mpg. I’ve driven to Alaska twice and t(e east coast once so have towed the trailer in excess of 25,000 miles in the last two years
and had no issues with the trailer or the Ranger
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 03:17 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akfishman View Post
I have a 2020 Ranger 2.7 4 cyl turbo and love the way it tows. The 10 speed transmission is smooth as butter and the truck accelerates nicely even uphill. At 60-65 mph I’m getting a little better than 15 mpg. When not towing I’m getting 22-24 mpg. I’ve driven to Alaska twice and t(e east coast once so have towed the trailer in excess of 25,000 miles in the last two years
and had no issues with the trailer or the Ranger
In addition to the new Tacoma, I am interested in the new Ranger as well. It is really a great time, in terms of new product (not price), to be shopping for a midsize truck. The GM twins were new in early 2023 (and MUCH improved). The Frontier was redone in 2022. New Ranger and Tacoma coming soon. The Ridgeline is adding the TrailSport trim. And, I believe the Gladiator is being refreshed for 2024 as well.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:21 PM   #31

Trailer: NA
Quote:
In addition to the new Tacoma, I am interested in the new Ranger as well. It is really a great time, in terms of new product (not price), to be shopping for a midsize truck. The GM twins were new in early 2023 (and MUCH improved). The Frontier was redone in 2022. New Ranger and Tacoma coming soon. The Ridgeline is adding the TrailSport trim. And, I believe the Gladiator is being refreshed for 2024 as well.
LOL - yes, it IS a great time and, thankfully, I've got a great amount of time to keep reading this Forum and this thread and take everything on board. August's quite a long time away and I'm not in any rush at all to choose our TV, now. That Tacoma hybrid was definitely calling my name but now....I continue to read, absorb and research!
TheNiceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:49 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Will I miss the power of the V8 if we go with one of the V6s?

Dean
Dean, I'm sure you have seen all three of our tow vehicles over the years. My V8 Dodge Dakota, my V-6 Dodge Durango, and my turbo 4 Ford Ranger.

I can tell you I do not miss the V8 power at all, my Durango and Ranger feel much peppier and get better MPG than the V8 Dakota.
Part of the reason is the 8 speed transmission on the Durango, and the 10 speed transmission on the Ranger allowing better use of the proper RPM range.
One thing to watch for is the payload capacity. Some only have 1100-1200 payload, and once you subtract the tongue weight and WDH weight, plus passengers, luggage, and fuel it might not have much left. Fortunately our Ranger has over 1700 lb payload capacity so it's good to go even with our 19' Escape.
Surprisingly, our V8 Dakota actually had the lowest towing capacity too, 6,010 vs 6,200 and 7,500.
Next years Ram sounds interesting too. 145 miles of range on battery so you can fill up in your garage for local trips, and then the V6 gas engine runs the car on highway trips so you can fill up at a gas station.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:53 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Dean,

I didn't know you were a lurker on this forum. Good to hear from you. And I always like to hear about your unicorn Borrego.

We have good friends in Washington who have pulled their E21 for 10 years with a Ridgeline--an early model and then replaced with one a year or two ago with an RTL-E. The Ridgeline will of course last forever and has the 1500+ payload, but for us, we wanted a bigger truck and have loved the 3.0 liter diesels.

Our loaded 2016 Ram 1500 diesel towed great, got great fuel mileage, but had too many check engine lights and limp mode episodes. Hello Carmax. The only manufacturer selling full size trucks with the 3.0 liter diesel is GMC/Chevy. Ford and Ram have bailed.

Our GMC 1500 Elevation came loaded, and we love it. I won't post the towing mileage because people think that I don't know how to calculate miles per gallon.

We went to Tampa to get the best price in the country a year and a half ago. Take a look at Rivard Buick GMC. Their prices are legit. No funny business when we showed up and bought in July 2022. I'll give you our sales guy if you get interested.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 09:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Dean, I'm sure you have seen all three of our tow vehicles over the years. My V8 Dodge Dakota, my V-6 Dodge Durango, and my turbo 4 Ford Ranger.

I can tell you I do not miss the V8 power at all, my Durango and Ranger feel much peppier and get better MPG than the V8 Dakota.

Next years Ram sounds interesting too. 145 miles of range on battery so you can fill up in your garage for local trips, and then the V6 gas engine runs the car on highway trips so you can fill up at a gas station.
Hi Dave!!!

Thanks for your comments regarding whether I will miss a V8 in a new midsize pickup truck. I was kinda of assuming the that the 8, 9, or 10 speed transmissions would provide better bandwidth of power compared to the Borg’s 6 speed. And, some of the TC’ed 4s offer torque superior to the Borg.

Yes, the 2025 Ram 1500 is definitely looking interesting as well! We don’t have buy at the end of the 2024. The Borg is doing great. We can’t buy before the end of 2024, but we could always buy later.

Take care,

Dean
Old 11-16-2023, 09:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
Dean,

I didn't know you were a lurker on this forum. Good to hear from you. And I always like to hear about your unicorn Borrego.

We have good friends in Washington who have pulled their E21 for 10 years with a Ridgeline--an early model and then replaced with one a year or two ago with an RTL-E. The Ridgeline will of course last forever and has the 1500+ payload, but for us, we wanted a bigger truck and have loved the 3.0 liter diesels.

Our loaded 2016 Ram 1500 diesel towed great, got great fuel mileage, but had too many check engine lights and limp mode episodes. Hello Carmax. The only manufacturer selling full size trucks with the 3.0 liter diesel is GMC/Chevy. Ford and Ram have bailed.

Our GMC 1500 Elevation came loaded, and we love it. I won't post the towing mileage because people think that I don't know how to calculate miles per gallon.

We went to Tampa to get the best price in the country a year and a half ago. Take a look at Rivard Buick GMC. Their prices are legit. No funny business when we showed up and bought in July 2022. I'll give you our sales guy if you get interested.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Yup, I have lurked for years on the Escape Forum, but don’t really post that much given our Casita ownership, but I enjoy truck talk so I thought I would chime in.

Nice to read about your friend’s experiences with the Ridgeline. I am always impressed with the Ridgeline’s payload capacity relative to other midsize trucks and even some 1/2 ton trucks. And its 5,000 lb tow capacity will handle our Casita. Given its features, safety, reliability, and comfort, it is probably the benchmark for us. I particularly like the new TrailSport trim that omits most of the chrome (as does the Black Edition but more expensive or the base Sport but lacks leather and the sunroof). The 2023 RTL and RTL-E have too much chrome. So, I think the TrailSport will be the trim that we will focus on.

However, definitely intrigued with the other midsize trucks as well, including the Tacoma given its power, particularly with the hybrid option. And, we will cross shop base 1/2 ton trucks as well. Love your GMC Elevation with the 3.0L Duramax Diesel. I have watched several videos from YouTube truck channels and they are impressed with the engine and shocked that the mileage often exceeds EPA estimates!

Take care,

Dean
Old 11-17-2023, 01:17 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
I’m not up on all the new truck specs and towing capacity. We tow our 21 with a 2014 Tacoma access cab, we average 12 mpg towing at 60 - 65mph, I have had worse mileage and I have had better. The only time I have wished for a larger truck is when the winds are over 30mph. We don’t do 60 up steep hills but can pass big transport trucks. We are retired so we don’t rush so that maybe a difference. Love our Tacoma and have made these improvements for towing, we have Dodge towing mirrors (from EBay), have added an extra leaf on the rear springs and a larger transmission cooler. Truck has towed the trailer for about 40,000 miles no problems.
From past experience you have to find out what works best for you, happy truck hunting.
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote