21C - Towing with Jeep Cherokee 3.6L V6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2021, 11:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 - 21C
21C - Towing with Jeep Cherokee 3.6L V6

Is anyone towing their 21 foot Escape with a Jeep Cherokee with a 3.6L V6 engine?
How does it tow going uphill on a steep incline with a fully loaded trailer?

Thanks,
Len
lmwgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
It's a pretty heavy trailer for a Cherokee. I don't know off hand your specs but your going to be close to 4500lbs fully loaded with 2 adults. Expect a Weight Distribution Hitch and I suggest a device to closely monitor transmission temps. I used the ScanGauge2. When the torque converter unlocks and the transmisssion starts to hunt, temps climb fast. My ScanGauge2 paid for itself many times over. It taught me to tow in overdrive and when to downshift to fourth before generating heat in the transmission and saving gas.

I used to have a 2007 Escape 17B and a 2017 4Runner. Around Ontario and the Great Lakes it was fine, an elevation of 800', but west of Denver I was pushing harder than I was comfortable. Around Ontario, fourth and fifth gear. West of Denver, third and fourth. To go over Loveland Pass at 12,000', I held it in second gear at 3500rpm.

With almost 20 years experience, now it's overkill for me, Tundra 5.7L
Old 12-12-2021, 09:34 AM   #3

Jeep Grand Cherokee

The V6 is rated for 6200 lbs towing capacity, do you think that is undersized for the 4500 lbs RV weight while driving in the mountains of Colorado?
Old 12-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 19'
Cherokee or Grand Cherokee?

The Cherokee V6 is a 3.2L engine, 4500 tow capacity. The Grand Cherokee V6 is a 3.6L engine, 6200 tow capacity.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Can’t speak to adequacy of engine. Looking at the GC specs, your bigger issue may be payload, which appears to be 1180lbs? I don’t have my trailer, yet, but others have posted that hitch weight is around 500-550lbs if I recall correctly. Add in weight of trailer hitch, fuel, passengers, pets, etc and I think you will be close, if not over. Especially if you have water in your tank. Others can advise if I’m wrong. I hope you can make it work.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
I tow a 21C with a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the tow package. The Grand Cherokee is a truck-based SUV, and the tow package gives it a bigger radiator fan and stronger alternator. I wouldn't tow a 21C with any lesser a vehicle than this. (I also use a weight distributing hitch, which maybe wasn't necessary but I like the extra assurance of stability it provides.)

The Jeep Cherokee (not Grand), is crossover vehicle. That means it looks like an SUV, but it's actually built like a car. It's suitable to tow a utility trailer or small popup camper.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
The Grand Cherokee is a truck-based SUV...

The Jeep Cherokee (not Grand), is crossover vehicle. That means it looks like an SUV, but it's actually built like a car.
The Cherokee and Grand Cherokee are similarly constructed. They both have unibody structures, and independent suspension. They both share engines, transmissions, and suspension components with passengers cars and other "SUVs". The only part of a Grand Cherokee which is shared with any truck is the most recent transmission, but that transmission (a licensed version of the ZF 8HP) is also used in many cars (including most BMW's, right down to the smallest rear-wheel-drive models); 5-speed Grand Cherokees had a Mercedes transmission as used in Mercedes cars. The Grand Cherokees of 2005 through to 2020 (for the ones with 3 rows of seating) or 2021 (for the ones with 2 rows of seating) - the WK and WK2 generations - share chassis component design with some Mercedes sedans and SUVs (the WK is from the Daimler-Chrysler era). The Grand Cherokee does not share a platform with any truck, in any generation, even back to 1993.

The Grand Cherokee is in the midst of an update, with both the old (WK2) and new (WL) generations being sold as 2021 models (old for the 2-row, new for the 3-row)

As the names suggest, the Grand Cherokee is larger and more powerful than the Cherokee, with larger and stronger components. The towing ratings reflect the difference in capability, and the Escape 21 is beyond what is appropriate for the Cherokee... but Len is asking about the Grand Cherokee, right?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The only part of a Grand Cherokee which is shared with any truck is the most recent transmission...
The 3.6 V6 engine and the 5.7, 6.4, and 6.2 hemi v8’s are in both Ram 1500’s and the Grand Cherokee WK2. Of course, to your point those engines are also found in a number of cars so it doesn’t really prove anything.

More relevant to towing, another difference between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee is that the GC is rear wheel drive biased (2wd versions are rwd) whereas Cherokees are front wheel drive biased (2wd versions are fwd).
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Cherokee or Grand Cherokee…payload is almost always the limiting factor. OP needs to look at that sticker and tell us what it says. Agreed that it is highly unlikely a Cherokee could do it but based on engine size, it appears they have a GC. Ymmv. I’ll shut up, now.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
More relevant to towing, another difference between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee is that the GC is rear wheel drive biased (2wd versions are rwd) whereas Cherokees are front wheel drive biased (2wd versions are fwd).
True, and I agree that, depending on the axle load distribution when loaded, it is likely for RWD to be preferable. Still nothing to do with trucks, but it is a reason that the Grand Cherokee is a capable tow vehicle. Enough for an Escape 21... that's the question.

The original concern was with engine performance, rather than the characteristics such as stability which are affected by vehicle size and chassis design. A Grand Cherokee should be a bit lighter than a Ram 1500, so if anyone has experience towing this size of Escape with a Ram 1500 (or Dodge Charger, or whatever) with the same engine and transmission it would be relevant. Even a Ford (F-150, SUV, or can) with their 3.5 L non-turbo would be similar.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 ETI 19 (Matilda)
A properly configured V6 JGC w/tow pack is a capable TV, definitely for 19' & with caveats for a 21'. My 2020 JGC full load V6 Altitude w/tow pack, has max. combined weight of 476kg/1050lbs, tow rating 6200lbs & pulls our 19' with ease & no issue over varying terrain. Working in our favor, it's lightly optioned & packed, I also moved the twin 6V batteries to the rear bumper taking weight off the tongue. The caveat for a 21' is total trailer & vehicle weight, Hi-Lift Axle (if applicable) Air Flow Resistance and the typical trip terrain. If the combined unit weight is on the heavy side & a good part of the trip is high altitude mountainous terrain, somethings likely going to blow up sooner or later.
We also have a 2018 JC full load V6 Trailhawk w/tow pack, max. combined weight is 446kg/985lbs, tow rating 4500lbs. It could easily pull our configured 19' (I know it's only rated to 4500lb) but in a pinch it'd be no problem...except fuel tank capacity - it's awfully small, you'd be hard pressed to get 300kms before refueling.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #12

have you towed the 21C in the mountains of Colorado or similar terrain? How does it handle the inclines?

Len
Old 12-14-2021, 05:14 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
I've pulled my 21Cs with my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (tow package) up the infamous Tejon "Grapevine" and Cojon Passes of California a couple of times each, along with mountains in Arizona and New Mexico. You definitely know it's there, but it works.

My wife keeps up with traffic @ 4 MPG. I prefer to hang out with the semi-trucks and take it slow. If you're driving this constantly, I'd say get a pickup truck instead. As long as you're okay burning a lot of gas going up, the JGC can manage it. (Jeeps in general are gas guzzlers.)

I went with the JGC because I needed a 4x4 that can maneuver around tight turns on my property and have comfortable seating for three, along with towing. Nothing else fit the bill. Probably would have gone with the likes of a Ford F-150 or Chevy Silverado otherwise.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:28 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
When did the Cherokee become FWD ?!? I'm mostly familiar with the 'classic' Cherokee XJ, and they were certainly RWD centric with manual transfer cases, 2H, N, 4H, 4L.... googles...eeew, 2014+ Cherokees (KL) are based on a Fiat car platform. oh well.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
…has max. combined weight of 476kg/1050lbs
What am I missing? Is this supposed to be GCWR? Maybe 4760kg / 10494#?
Old 12-14-2021, 09:53 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 ETI 19 (Matilda)
re: What am I missing? Is this supposed to be GCWR? Maybe 4760kg / 10494#?

Answer: Combined weight of occupants & cargo
Attached Thumbnails
JGC_Weighta.jpg  
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

thanks
Old 12-14-2021, 10:42 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:

thats the "Payload". GCWR is the combined maximum permitted weight of vehicle and trailer

Note, that payload has to include the weight of the hitch, and trailer tongue weight. so if you are towing a trailer with a 500 lb hitch weight, such as many Escape 21's, and your hitch equipment is another 50 lbs, you now can only carry a TOTAL of not quite 500 lbs including driver and passenger(s) and anything else you put in the vehicle other the its gas tank. Any accessories you've added to the vehicle have to be included in this, too
Old 12-14-2021, 11:38 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
When did the Cherokee become FWD ?!? I'm mostly familiar with the 'classic' Cherokee XJ, and they were certainly RWD centric with manual transfer cases, 2H, N, 4H, 4L.... googles...eeew, 2014+ Cherokees (KL) are based on a Fiat car platform. oh well.
I have to admit I felt the same about the new Cherokee as it seemed to have strayed far from the legendary XJ. But I’ve watched videos of them being taken on some pretty difficult trails and it looks quite capable when equipped with the low range transfer case and locking rear differential. The main shortcomings are the same as for most vehicles like it with independent suspensions - relatively limited clearance and articulation.

I think in terms of towing, I’d way rather tow 4500 lbs with the KL than the 5000 lbs with the XJ.
Micheal K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:57 PM   #20
Site Team

with 900 lbs of payload total, you put a 500 lb tongue weight on it plus 50 lbs+ of hitching gear, and you'd better travel very light in the vehicle as you only have 350 lbs left over for driver+passenger+everything else you've added to the vehicle since it was made. a couple overweight folks, and boom, yoiu can't even bring a suitcase. toolkit? tow strap? tire inflator? (all things I bring on long road trips), there's close to 100 lbs right there..